Thread: If you're thinking about Teins...

Default If you're thinking about Teins...

Just go ahead and get them.

Here's my impression of them after a week on the road...

How's the ride? It's stiffer than stock, I won't lie to you, but it's completely civilized (Gary set damping at 12 in front/10 in back - I've dinked with it a little on both sides, but 12/10 is about right for the street). There are a couple of roads around my neighborhood where the dips and expansion gaps in the old concrete make the car a little bouncy, but the suspension is well-controlled and I don't feel the wheels pogo-sticking like I could with the old shocks. I found a couple of extra rattles in the dash, but they turned out to be all the crap I had sitting the glove box - easy problem to fix. The other 99% of the time, the ride feels better than stock because the shocks do a much better job of controlling the body motions. Also, even though my car is now about 1-1.5" lower, it hasn't bottomed out, and I haven't high-centered it yet (even while off-roading down near Ennis this past weekend!).

How does it handle? Hands-down, this is the best-handling car I've owned - it's like a big go-kart, but with A/C and a stereo. On our Sunday drive down near Ennis, I noticed several improvements - and this was before I had AJ align my car. Overall, it feels amazingly stable and tight in the corners - I pulled out of a coule of 35 mph corners at 70+ with no problem. The alignment (or lack thereof) made it a little darty on turn-in, but once it took a set, it was golden. Mid-corner bumps did not upset the chassis at all. Burning down some long straights over uneven pavement, the car felt very tied-down. Cresting bumpy hills at 80-90 mph, there was no float or squirm at all. It inspires lots of confidence. And all I did was swap for the Teins - I'm on stock sways, stock bushings, everything else is stock.

Yesterday I took my car to AJ and he set it up to the specs Gary gave me, so now it feels even better than it did on Sunday. Turns out the alignment was pretty screwy . Now there's no dartiness on turn in, and the car absolutley tracks like a laser through the corners. It's just awesome...

Yes, it was a lot of money, but compared to other setups I considered, the Teins were not a huge jump up in cost - no need to buy bumpstops, shock mounts, etc. Also, since they are a matched set, so there's no guesswork trying to figure out which shocks work with which springs. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the end-result. Now I'm really excited about getting back into some Auto-X action, and ready to make my reservations for Hallett! Hell, I even bought a new helmet yesterday...

Thanks to Gary and AJ for getting me hooked up!

(BTW, this is the last time I'll slobber about these things... I promise.)
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    (BTW, this is the last time I'll slobber about these things... I promise.)
    It's not nice to break a promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Well... what I meant was... this is the last time I'll start a new thread about 'em...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Thanks Rick for the kind words. There is no substitute for a good proven suspension setup. Tein did their homework in getting the dampening control right and are easy to adjust since they are on top. Having independent ride height adjustability on the Flex improves street driving while using much stronger spring rates. The aluminum top hats offer more travel and as you mentioned, you don't see bottoming out issues compared to stock.

Springs are easy to change out, I use 550 lb front and 400 lb rear on my '99 and '96 cars and you do not need to revalve the dampeners. Dampening control is the key to a good suspension and even with these heavier spring rates you can still drink coffee in the morning. I would recommend the heavier spring rate for those using race tires.

The Super Street setup does not offer the independent ride height, but uses the same dampening control for those on a modest budget and comes with the same spring rate as the Flex. You use your top hat for this setup so if you have a 90-97 you might want to consider the 99-05 top hats.

Next upgrade for Rick will be the Racing Beat sway bar setup then he will never want to get out of his car.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

they're also green, which pretty much makes them awesome.

I resisted RB sway bars for a long time. They bought me a full second at Hallett, and made the car less terrifying to drive at 10/10. It made #1 at hallett less scary, backing into #9 at hallett much less of a "in need of charmin" moment, and made the car generally more flickable and made me realize that trailbraking was easier than I thought.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 04-16-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post

I resisted RB sway bars for a long time. They bought me a full second at Hallett, and made the car less terrifying to drive at 10/10. It made #1 at hallett less scary, backing into #9 at hallett much less of a "in need of charmin" moment, and made the car generally more flickable and made me realize that trailbraking was easier than I thought.
    What is that little link at the bottom of your posts? I've clicked on it twice and it takes me to a different page that does nothing.
    White n/a '97

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Yes... they are a very awesome shade of green - which made today's BMW Club Auto-X a blast... good times!

'94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days