Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardtop negate need for roll bar? *HPDE*

Default Hardtop negate need for roll bar? *HPDE*

This may be a newb question but I have been on the fence about ordering a roll bar.

Maybe I am paranoid but something about having that thick piece of steel behind my head for the 363 days I will not be on a track makes me nervous.

I have seen more rear end collisions these days with bad drivers + cell phones.

Anyway I am wondering if a hardtop will negate the need for a roll bar for HPDE's like Apex?

I think for most club rules it's either a roll bar or hardtop but in reality for safety sake I'd much rather have the roll bar. The hard top might help keep you contained in the car a bit better during a roll over but it's not really adequete protection vs a roll bar IMHO. You can get some padding on the roll bar, but I understand your concern it would probably still give you a serious headache.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

As of right now, I don't have an approved roll bar in my miata. It's just a Hard Dog Ace. Since I do track my car, I am planning on purchasing a 4 point Hard Dog Roll bar. I suggest you do the same, especially if you are gonna track the car. Though it is not likely that you would flip your car, why even take the chance? You've seen the miata roll over video. If not, here it is. http://youtube.com/watch?v=J0FrSdkHOh4

Even if the car had a hard top, it is still fiberglass.

There are a few good options regarding roll bar padding. Hard Dog sells SFI rated padding and a leather padded cover for there bars. One of the better solutions that some of the locals have found is the thick padded roll bar foam. I have personally used this as well as miataspeedracer, mr. brg and machismo.

I would intentionally bang my helmet against the padding to get an idea of how much force the padding absorbs. Some padding is better than none!

Darren Cook, of Apex Driving Academy, specifically tells all people with roll bars behind their heads to invest in good roll bar padding.
    He personally had to go to the hospital while instructing a student on the track. Don't know the exact situation, but his helmet struck the roll bar very hard and he had to go to the hospital. Had there been padding, the situation would not have been severe.

During tech inspection at Apex, he almost failed me for not having roll bar padding.

Whenever you decide to get rid of your harddog roll bar shoo me a pm.
    I would say, better safe then sorry. Why not just get both? Sure, it might be expensive in the short run but can you really out a price tag on your life?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    You can get some padding on the roll bar, but I understand your concern it would probably still give you a serious headache.
    I am thinking brain scramble... nothing Advil can help.

I guess I can always wait and get a seat that will offer protection.

Seat + Roll Bar is about the same as Hard Top only in price.

I have the Hard Dog Ace as its approved by the bodies here, I added a hardtop to ensure that the height requirement would not be an issue. If I wanted to make the car track only, I would end up getting a full cage with the hard top at that time.

So... to expand on this a little bit, are there any double-hoop bars that are approved and work with the glass rear window? Seems like Boss Frog and Hard Dog both make double-hoops...

I would assume that if I wanted to run at Hallett, I would need a bar... right?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    So... to expand on this a little bit, are there any double-hoop bars that are approved and work with the glass rear window? Seems like Boss Frog and Hard Dog both make double-hoops...

Hallett MRC is not strict on much. They will let you run with the top down and no roll bar.

The Arkansas Miata Club, which sets up and runs miatas@hallett, will not allow r-comps without a rollbar.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    I have the Hard Dog Ace as its approved by the bodies here, I added a hardtop to ensure that the height requirement would not be an issue. If I wanted to make the car track only, I would end up getting a full cage with the hard top at that time.
    I have the Ace with a hardtop, as well. I am not confident that it would save me in a roll over situation.
    I had a HDHCDD previously. W/o the bar, the car feels less stable and kinda naked. A 4 point roll bar is a great and needed improvement to a flexing miata.

I have the single diagonal and harness bar on mine. Its a very sturdy bar with this configuration. Since no one technically *Approves* a rollbar, but just checks it meets their standards its hard to know. Mine has been drilled and verified to meet all the SCCA requirements for SCCA Solo 1 or TT or whatever they are calling it now I have no real concerns as to if the Ace will protect me less than any of the other bars from Hard Dog.

It can't be worse than those Pratt & Miller cages for the Solstice on Setup . Really a full cage is the only way I would say all safety measures are taken.

I would not want a hard top in place of a roll bar. I only have the hard top for the clearance issues of a tall fat guy in a small car.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post

The Boss Frog is approved and works with the glass rear window. I don't know if the HD double hoop is approved, but the Boss Frog design is stronger. We just put one in my buddy Kyle's 99.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    Maybe I am paranoid but something about having that thick piece of steel behind my head for the 363 days I will not be on a track makes me nervous.

I have seen more rear end collisions these days with bad drivers + cell phones.
    I have become more concerned about what would happen in a rear end collision with one of those big yuppie cowboy trucks (cell phone+a car thats too small to see) without a bar. With enough speed they could drive right over the trunk. A headache would be better than a front wheel in your lap. Though a roll bar might not be enough to stop a truck, we might be screwed either way.

Plus I almost got ran off the freeway the other day, right next to a steep grassy ditch, made me wish I had a rollbar.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Anyone know if Hard Dog has any plans for an NC bar?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    With the design of the factory hoops/roll-bar and the top-down design, it's going to be tough IMHO.

Doesn't appear so. I remember seeing pics of their prototypes from a year or 2 ago. THIS might interest you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    With the design of the factory hoops/roll-bar and the top-down design, it's going to be tough IMHO.
    Good-win-racing has a small list of nice roll bars.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda.../30-10412.html

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Doesn't appear so. I remember seeing pics of their prototypes from a year or 2 ago. THIS might interest you.

Good-win-racing has a small list of nice roll bars.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda.../30-10412.html

Too bad, the Hard Dog looks like a quality bar. Guess not enough people are racing their shiny new NC's yet to warrant that sort of equipment. Anyone know anything about the AWR bar?

Too bad, the Hard Dog looks like a quality bar. Guess not enough people are racing their shiny new NC's yet to warrant that sort of equipment. Anyone know anything about the AWR bar?
    Hard Dog is very reputable and they do make quality roll bars.

Plenty of people are racing NC's, especially in the MX-5 Cup.

AWR is Anthony Woodford Racing. HERE is a link to some of his MX-5 stuff.

you can take your chances of getting rear ended by a truck and getting bisected at the torso, rolling the car, or you can put a pad on the roll bar and probably live.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I think MER could make a bar for an NC.

I know BMWCCA requires a metal hardtop. WTF? Who has a metal hardtop?

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I think MER could make a bar for an NC.

I know BMWCCA requires a metal hardtop. WTF? Who has a metal hardtop?
    BMWs and Porsches.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast