Thread: Satellite radio

Default Satellite radio

I want to do a Bosectomy and replace with a satellite ready, cd-fm tuner head unit. I need some recommendations from someone who knows what is available. Money is a factor (look at my name!) but I want some clearer sound and less boom boom. Speakers and amp recommendations needed as well. :) I have ordered a cubby from Trussville to fill the gap.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

Tim, I have been in the market for an zm, sirrius system and Pioneer deh 4600 or 3600 both have cs, cd-r and xm and they are all in the 200 $ range and that includes install I think the antenna is 35$ so do the math

rory

Tim, the big question is for the replacement speakers...

Are the Bose speakers the same size as the other factory speakers? If they are then the Clearwater speakers are a good set to replace them.

You may also want to just yank a speaker out and go to Fry's or Car Toys and see if you can find a set that both match up in mounting lip diameter and in how the bolt holes line up. You can also check Tweeter, but they are an expensive store... If they don't line up on holes you can always drill some... but you don't want to be cutting sheet metal to fit a slightly larger speaker in the door.

OR... You could just try to wire the stereo into the Bose amp and reuse the amp & speakers.

As for an amp... Any small but decent brand of amp will do you just fine. Stay away from the low end no-name amps. Get a nice 2 amp that just quite doesn't mate up to the speakers - In other words if you get 125w speakers get a 100w amp.

The decent brands of amps and speakers will usually rate them in RMS and not peak wattage. If you get 125w peak speakers and 100w RMS amp then you'll find yourself popping speakers - DOH!

If you get a small enough amp then you can mount it under the center console or you can mount it under the rear package tray in the hidden recess. (It's really there hidden under the carpet, padding, and sheetmetal)

MAKE SURE YOU GET A REMOVABLE OR HIDDEN FACE STEREO. And if you get nice "Rockford Fosgate" stickers with your amp DO NOT PUT THEM ON YOUR CAR! You don't want your top slashed.

As far as wiring it all up goes, you'll probably be on your own for wiring. I'm not 100% sure if the wiring harnesses can be used with aftermarket adapters. It's pretty easy to rewire a stereo with some vampire taps to get the power, memory, and ground... Then just run new wires for the speakers.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks Raymond....my son -in-law works for Best Buy and started with them in the install bay. He says he will do it for free if I get the equipment.

i would steer away from cartoys and best buy, but since yopu know the installer, it is highly unlikely that he will mess it up... i have had several freinds stereos and alarms fry due to faulty installs from the above. have had good luck with curcuit city, and hawk electronics.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Just bought some 6.5 Infinity 6000CS component speakers. What size amp would be recommended as they are rated 270 peak watts?

whats the rms wattage say?
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

90 RMS

HOLY COW - That's one heck of a boost from RMS to Peak... 90 to 270?

Is that PER speaker?

Are you looking for a so-so brand, a mid-range brand, or a high-end brand of amp?

So-so would be Sony Xplode
    Midrange would be Kenwood or Rockford Fosgate
    High end would be a Nakamichi PA-1004

Raymond

I am looking for mid priced unit (I guess). I want to see If I can find something that will fit in the tunnel even though I haven't looked to see if I have one.

6000cs
    Type: 6-1/2" 2-Way Component System
    Speaker Impedance: 4 Ohms
    Power Handling: 90W RMS, 270W Peak
    Frequency Response: 53Hz – 21kHz
    Sensitivity (2.83V, 1m): 92dB
    Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz
    Mounting Depth: Woofer: 2-1/16" (53mm)
    Tweeter: 1-1/4" (32mm)
    Cut-out Diameter: Woofer: 5" (127mm)
    Tweeter: 1-13/16" (47mm)

Got them for 128 total at HookedonTronics. CarToys/Crotchfield wanted 199.

Take the carpet off & the rear tray sheet metal out and see how much room you have under there before you commit the tunnel.

You'd be surprised at the room... just watch out as to what is under that area when you go to put screws down to mount an amp.

RJ

a 75wx2 amp should be well enough to drive those.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Will this work with the speakers?

Pioneer DEH-P3600 CD Receiver
    Vehicle: 2003 Mazda Miata Convertible with Bose system; with 4 inch tall factory radio
    $152.99

Receiver Kit 142MA1537
    FREE

Receiver Addon 120865618
    FREE

Profile AP600 100W x 2 Car Amp
    $98.99

OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 90-up Mazda
    Vehicle: 2003 Mazda Miata Convertible with Bose system; with 4 inch tall factory radio
    $49.99

EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge 300-watt w/Patch Cord
    $29.99

1 Crutchfield MasterSheet Instructions
    FREE

Should be fine...

That cheap of an amp would probably have a hard time hitting 270watts peak.

RJ

Is it too cheap? I want something to drive the speakers properly w/o blowout.

I found this one appealing as well however it is more money and less watts:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P3002
    2-Channel Amp Specifications

Amplifier Type: 2-channel
    RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 75W x 2
    THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.08%
    Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 300W x 1
    Speaker Level Inputs: No
    Preamp Outputs: Yes
    Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
    Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
    Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: >80 dB
    Fuse Rating: n/a

Bosectomy is scheduled for the surgery room next week. All required replacement parts have arrived. Pioneer 3600 HU, Sony Explode 100x2@4 ohms, Infinity 6000 components and associated XM equipment. Patient is anxiously awaiting the transplant and father is very excited.

Bosectomy accomplished while in Florida!! Great sounding Infinity speakers installed with a very nice Pioneer h/u , amp and XM radio. Made the trip back very enjoyable!!