Thread: Where have I been? Meet Keeper our new puppy.

Default Where have I been? Meet Keeper our new puppy.

A few weeks back my wife was driving home and a little puppy darted out in front of traffic on Story Rd and Rochelle. As it ran across the road my wife said it looked wet and scared.

She pulled over down the street and ran over to the puppy who was sitting under a tree near the intersection.

My wife noticed it was shivering and had two puncture wounds that were bleeding profusely. She called to it and it came over and leapt in her arms. She promised on the walk back to the car that she would never let anything hurt it again.

I get a call that she has a hurt puppy and she is headed to the emergency vet about a mile from our house. I get there and she is in a room with the pup. My wife is covered in blood her blouse and cheeks especially. With her in the room was a happy little puppy with a few wounds.

The dog had no tags or was not chipped. In the week following I also made a few rounds of the area where my wife found him and no one had put up a lost dog poster.

My wife and I were planning on getting a dog this summer since my wife is a teacher and could focus time on getting the dog used to the cats during her break. We were looking for a mature cat-friendly rescue dog... now we have a pup. *Anyone with any puppy to resident cat intro tips please post! We have been reading in book sand online put any outside of the box tips would be helpful*

He is a 3-4 mo old Pointer Mix who is very smart. He is now staying in our kitchen with some baby gates. Since the 2nd day in our house he has been accident free in his area! He also has learned how to potty on command and fetch.

All of his puncture wounds have healed and scabbed. He actually wraps up his antibiotics tomorrow.

Hopefully this summer we can get him acclimated to the cats and get him crate trained. He starts his Petsmart Puppy Classes next week! :thumbup:

Here are some pics of our new boy... Keeper. Yes he's a keeper!

Looks like a cute addition to the family. Glad he's OK and getting better.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Awwww... that's a fine-lookin' pooch!

I don't know how to introduce the cat to the dog, but I guess they will probably agree to stay out of each other's way once the cat gets the first swipe in...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Pointer? That pup has definitely got some Pit, or to be more accurate, American Staffordshire Terrier in him. Cute little guy.

Sometimes you don't pick them, they pick you! Looks like a great addition to the family!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well I think he is mostly Pointer.

The Vet seems to think so and last week he even started pointing at things occasionally. Its pretty cute... sniff sniff sniff then his little front leg tucks in.

However Andy gave my wife and I something to joke about. Last night I was saying he is full blood pit and he is going to eat my face off when he was giving me nibbles and kisses. This morning I told Sarah not to turn her back on him when she went down to let him out.

I'd let them sniff each other thru the baby gate. The cat will make the first move if threatened. Or just let them fight it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    I'd let them sniff each other thru the baby gate. The cat will make the first move if threatened. Or just let them fight it out.
    Yep... I brought a Chow into a home of 2 cats. We kept the Chow on a leash when in the house for the first week. At the end of the week, the older cat came over and gave the Chow a full claw pop on the nose, drawing blood. We then rewarded the cat in front of the dog. This was all the Chow needed to see to know that the cats ruled the house. He never so much as barked at them after that.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Very cute puppy.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Go slow with the introductions, and ALWAYS make the cat the priority. Your dog needs to learn at an early age that in the household hierarchy, it's 1. Humans, 2. cat(s), 3. dog(s).
    It's tempting to go all go-goo over the new puppy, but that can lead to problems down the road.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Great ideas guys.

Yeah the puppy has been confined via baby gates to the kitchen area.

Once he did slip through an open gate and chased one of the cats. However it was not predatory chase... just puppy chase.

Anyway since then the cats seem relatively comfortable with walking in front of the baby gated doorways and if puppy gets to close when they are near they hiss.

The cats seem to move around the house fine which is a good sign.

When we get a few weeks of puppy training down we sill start with leashed introductions. I agree a paw swat will probably teach the puppy a valuable lesson.

Get a crate, that will become his "room".

It will be a safe place and a place to "go to your room"

We have adopted quite a few, and have Cats and Dogs.

The get along wonderfully, but I am the Alpha, and I carry a big stick.
    (or so they think)

Beaux

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Go slow with the introductions, and ALWAYS make the cat the priority. Your dog needs to learn at an early age that in the household hierarchy, it's 1. Humans, 2. cat(s), 3. dog(s).
    It's tempting to go all go-goo over the new puppy, but that can lead to problems down the road.

Spare the rod, spoil the pup?

I see he already has a 'racing stripe.' Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    "Spoiling the pup" will lead to all sorts of problems...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Great reference!
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Well this morning we had contact.

Keeper came in from playing outside and Tiggy (my extrovert cat) was sitting on the other side of the puppy gate.

Keeper ran towards Tiggy and assumed a submissive posture on the other side of the gate. Lifting his paw a bit.

Tiggy mildly hissed and swatted at Keeper's nose. Keeper recoiled and went back to his bed.

Tiggy did not give any ground at all... he kept sitting there meowing.

A few minutes later I threw a squeeky toy out and Keeper played with it then submissively went back over to Tiggy who was still standing on the other side of the baby gate. This time he kept about a foot distance. Tiggy brought up his pimp slap paw and Keeper retreated back to his bed.

Both animals got lots of praise! It really made my morning.

Here is a picture of Tiggy...

Both of my boys... Boobear and Tiggy...