Thread: A Convert?

Driver
    Blog Entries

Default A Convert?

I stopped at a Shell station today, and as I was getting out of my car, a gentleman asked how I liked my Miata. I answered "At 30mpg highway, I love it." We went on to discuss a few things about fuel economy, costs, and practicality. He said he didn't like the flip up headlights on earlier Miatas, so I recommended that if headlights and fuel were the main concerns, a 99 or 00 would be his best bet (due to premium requirements for 2001+,) if he wanted one, but the seats those years were the least comfortable. He sat in the car to see if he fit with the seat all the way back, (he did,) told him how much I paid for the car with a lot of miles needing a top and tires, how much I paid for top and tires, and how great it is to have a car that can go from top up to top down in less than a minute. I also gave him the web address to this forum for further research, and explained how internet automotive boards can save a lot of money that would otherwise go to a mechanic.

As he went back to his truck, he said that he should have bought a Miata instead of a Harley. In case he is lurking, are there folks who have had both a Harley and a Miata, and if so, what needs to be said comparison-wise to someone considering trading the bike for the roadster? Did I get anything wrong? Also, is there any other info I should pass on to other prospective Miata owners?

Thanks for the help.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Looks like apples to oranges to me. I own both a 95 Springer and an 06 NC Touring. I love 'em both but what comparisons can be drawn directly?

Harley = better mpg with regular unleaded, lower insurance, lower depreciation, HOV and parking advantages, better driver's sight line, quicker acceleration

Miata = better cornering and top speeds, better protection (elements and accidents), better cargo capacity, stereo, climate control, passenger conversation

One common element = chicks dig 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    As he went back to his truck, he said that he should have bought a Miata instead of a Harley. In case he is lurking, are there folks who have had both a Harley and a Miata, and if so, what needs to be said comparison-wise to someone considering trading the bike for the roadster? Did I get anything wrong? Also, is there any other info I should pass on to other prospective Miata owners?

Thanks for the help.
    No he should sell the truck and get a Miata.

If I were to choose just one vehicle between the two, I would take the Miata at this stage of my life. More practical and comfortable. But I hope it never comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    how great it is to have a car that can go from top up to top down in less than a minute.

Try less than 5 seconds for me
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Looks like apples to oranges to me. I own both a 95 Springer and an 06 NC Touring. I love 'em both but what comparisons can be drawn directly?

Harley = better mpg with regular unleaded, lower insurance, lower depreciation, HOV and parking advantages, better driver's sight line, quicker acceleration

Miata = better cornering and top speeds, better protection (elements and accidents), better cargo capacity, stereo, climate control, passenger conversation, doesn't fall over when you stop...

There, fixed it for you...
    '96 M-edition

Actually, two. Both can be found in front of a bar.

Lol! :d

people who don't like flipper headlights will be the first to go in the revolution.

btw, flipper headlights are the best looking
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    people who don't like flipper headlights will be the first to go in the revolution.

btw, flipper headlights are the best looking
    Damn that's a nice looking NA
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Damn that's a nice looking NA
    no its not, it has flipper headlights.

lol
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg

^^
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

No he should sell the truck and get a Miata.

If I were to choose just one vehicle between the two, I would take the Miata at this stage of my life. More practical and comfortable. But I hope it never comes to that.
    There are still people, believe it or not, who really do need a truck. However, it's nice to have a used and fuel efficient personal runabout.

In fact, I think that's what has changed. Considering someone who genuinely needed a truck (key phrase is "genuine need") for their livelihood, in the days of sub $2/gallon gas, it was cheaper to use the work truck for both personal commute and work. Now it is getting cheaper to get a fuel efficient personal commuter to supplement the aforementioned work truck.

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    There are still people, believe it or not, who really do need a truck. However, it's nice to have a used and fuel efficient personal runabout.
    Yeah, it's hard to haul arcade games and animal carcasses in a Miata.

You should've seen the look on the wife's face when the game bag leaked on the aftermarket trunk mat in the Grand Cherokee years ago. hehehehe

Now I have a truck. Much easier to haul Bambi and Babe from the ranch to the processor.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post

In fact, I think that's what has changed. Considering someone who genuinely needed a truck (key phrase is "genuine need") for their livelihood, in the days of sub $2/gallon gas, it was cheaper to use the work truck for both personal commute and work. Now it is getting cheaper to get a fuel efficient personal commuter to supplement the aforementioned work truck.
    One problem with people that generally 'need a truck' have is that they buy the biggest engine they could afford and didn't take into consideration the number of times they will be hauling anything but their a$$.

I have my pickup and it gets 27 mpg(1999 Nissan Frontier with a 5-spd stick and a class 3 hitch). I can pull a reasonable amount, but know it is cheaper in the long run to go to Hertz on that rare occasion where I need to haul more than 3500 lbs. I purchased it when I worked in aircraft and knew that any day may be a day I needed to pack up my roll away tool chest and move on down to the next job. Last job was in Greenville and lasted 59 days.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    One problem with people that generally 'need a truck' have is that they buy the biggest engine they could afford and didn't take into consideration the number of times they will be hauling anything but their a$$.

I have my pickup and it gets 27 mpg(1999 Nissan Frontier with a 5-spd stick and a class 3 hitch). I can pull a reasonable amount, but know it is cheaper in the long run to go to Hertz on that rare occasion where I need to haul more than 3500 lbs. I purchased it when I worked in aircraft and knew that any day may be a day I needed to pack up my roll away tool chest and move on down to the next job. Last job was in Greenville and lasted 59 days.
    I guess I should define "genuine need". That's if you are using your truck 5 days a week for your day job. Plumbers, HVAC repairmen, lawn crews, construction. It's funny too. Each time a repairman came to my parent's house while I was living there, they always came in a little compact truck. Tacomas, Rangers, Frontiers, etc. I guess the brain changes when you have to make an actual business decision :)