Thread: TEIN Type Flex query

Default TEIN Type Flex query

This is primarily for altiain since he's been there and done that...

I'm planning some goodies for my car for the end of the year, and TEIN Type Flex looks like the way to hold it all up... I assume that since this kit includes pillowball mounts, that all parts are there, including proper bump stops. Am I correct? While you're at it, could you define "pillowball"?

Thanks!

Yep, the Tein Flex kit includes everything you need - already pre-assembled - and ready to install on your car. I believe that the Flex also comes pre-set to the recommended ride height. The HAs, on the other hand, had to be assembled by the end user, at least the ones that reused the stock upper mounts.

As for what a pillowball upper mount is - I assume you installed your shocks yourself? Remember threading the top of the shaft through a couple of rubber donuts that located it on the upper mount? A "pillowball" upper mount replaces those two rubber bushings with a metal spherical bearing, which allows for a more rigid shaft mount, and also minimizes side loads on the shock shaft itself from the upper mount. Basically it's a little louder, transmits a little more ride harshness (those OEM rubber donuts are there to improve NVH isolation at the sacrifice of damper precision), but also allows the shock to do it's job more effectively because it's basically rigidly mounted to the frame of the car, so it experiences no side loads or isolation.

Another benefit to typical "pillowball" upper mounts is that they tend to take up a lot less of the shaft's length, which increases your damper travel range. In the case of the Flex, the rear upper mounts are also elongated back into the trunk cavity, which further increases damper travel. Make sense?

Depending on how late this year you pick them up, you're welcome to come and see the installation process on my car, since I plan to be installing the very same suspension (although probably with stiffer springs) on my car at the end of this season.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hey Iain make up your mind on CS or CSP :P
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata
    Hey Iain make up your mind on CS or CSP :P
    OH, altiain has made up his mind... he's playing in CS. It's tailchaser who is seriously considering CSP. He just knows that altiain has been there...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Depending on how late this year you pick them up, you're welcome to come and see the installation process on my car, since I plan to be installing the very same suspension (although probably with stiffer springs) on my car at the end of this season.
    This tidbit of info tells me it'll be back in CSP after this season of CS
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata
    Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    This tidbit of info tells me it'll be back in CSP after this season of CS
    I missed that! Looks like you might be right. Well, good riddance... one less person to kick my butt in CS :P

Mark52 looms around CSP!

Be afraid be very afraid!

IIRC didn't he dominate CSP in both ER and SCCA last season!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    IIRC didn't he dominate CSP in both ER and SCCA last season!
    Umm... I don't know if dominated is quite the right word... :P

He beat me by two lousy points in Texas Region for the year-end CSP trophy... and if I hadn't been in Hawaii during the May TMS event, I betcha I would have won the season, since I seemed to do a little better on the long courses than Mark52 did last year.

But, as BigD figured out, I do intend to go back to CSP next season, or as soon as the Miata is no longer a daily driver (which should be early '04) and I can make it as stiff and loud and uncomfortable as I want to without having to suffer with it on the daily commute. And this time I'll be bringing my own set of "big ol' tars" to the table, too instead of trying to squeak by on narrow 15" wheels. I intend to redeem myself for last season's narrow defeat... after spending this season kicking some CS ass.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw