Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire recommendations?

Default Tire recommendations?

Anyone here using 17x8 rims and if so what tires? Mainly interested in light weight and great dry grip. I'm doing street use with occasional spirited country runs and highway ramps etc. not auto-xing.

Thanks

Not sure if they are making them anymmore, but the Kumho SPT in 235/40/17 would probably be a great tire (they may have discontinued that size).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I think Thomas is right as the 235 size is listed as a closeout on Tire Rack at $103. The 225/45/17 size I run is $93.

I have taken the SPT's to the track, on a nearly 4000 mile cross country trip, and many a rain storm with always positive results.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I was thinking about putting on some more T1R's on my NC, my last toyo's gripped good in all weather conditions.
    Let us know what you end up with.
    99 Miata Black

Thanks. I hadn't considered the Kumho SPT but will look into it. I have been eyeing the new Toyo R1R but have seen no feedback on it here or the pointy boards. I'll let ya know what I get. I'm putting them on some Enkei RS-M 17x8 that I picked up on craigslist.

R1R seems to be popular with the Street Touring set so far, but Andy Hollis warned me that they didn't last long at all.

I'm on my second set of SPTs on the RX-8. Great tire, especially when you consider the price. We pulled nearly 1G lateral grip in the RX-8 with these on wet concrete. Even with that level of grip, they still lasted 15k miles with an aggressive alignment, and they work well in bad weather and colder temps, unlike a lot of today's "max performance" summer tires.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Just got off the phone with Tire Rack and they confirmed the SPT was discontinued and they only have 1 tire left in stock.

A 225 will work fine on an 8" wide wheel. I use 225/45-18s (OEM size) on the RX-8's 18"x8" OEM wheels, because I'm too cheap to pay the extra $20 a tire for 245/40-18s.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

remz dog, remz.

Nitto NT-01's are great on the street. BTW, those enkei's look like prodrive/OZ knock-offs...which makes me sad.

Just get something rock hard on the street. If you driving hard enough that you "need" grip, you should just be a man and go to the track. I always buy the hardest, longest lasting tire for the street.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I would also consider the Sumitomo HTR Z III, reviews have been positive. Was set on them before I found the good deal on the Dunlops.

Tirerack Link
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

The 225/45/17 is a little tall for the NC. You might want to try a 235/40/17 Falken FK452 (they're $98/ea at edgeracing.com, but I'm sure you could get a local discount tire to match that price).

The R1R is too aggressive for what you are looking for. I've heard "90 autox runs" thrown around and that's R-comp territory for tire wear. I'd steer clear.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Thanks for all the input. I decided to get Toyo T1R's. Tried and true and a bit lighter than the rest. The R1R's were almost 3 lbs heavier and much shorter tread life. Should hopefully have 'em in by Wednesday thru Discount Tire.

Cool... I think you will like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Cool... I think you will like them.

+1

I've had two sets of T1-R and Two sets of the previous generation T1-S and they are a great all weather, street tyres with decent wear and grippy enough for occasional track use.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I'm looking forward to them. I'm very happy with the yokahama advan a11a's I have because they grip very well and break traction in a "controlled" feeling.

But I'm trying my hardest to keep weight the same yet get another inch or more width. Since the T1R's are lighter than most of their competition it should help me alot because the enkei's maybe a half pound heavier than mine.

I'll be doing photos and weigh-ins when I do the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I'm looking forward to them. I'm very happy with the yokahama advan a11a's I have because they grip very well and break traction in a "controlled" feeling.

But I'm trying my hardest to keep weight the same yet get another inch or more width. Since the T1R's are lighter than most of their competition it should help me alot because the enkei's maybe a half pound heavier than mine.

I'll be doing photos and weigh-ins when I do the switch.
    bjkhjklhzstr bae4w6bhzi698hwzusr8y9uji

love these tr1s

ummm last two posts were Carazzie being Crazy!

Congrats, you will like em.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    ummm last two posts were Carazzie being Crazy!
    Hmmmm... that's a thread jack of a different stripe, eh?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast