Thread: Ariel Atom, meet wall. Wall, meet Ariel Atom.

Unhappy Ariel Atom, meet wall. Wall, meet Ariel Atom.

I'll never understand why people are afraid to turn the key off if the throttle sticks open. Seems like a better idea than using a brick wall to stop the car.

Both feet in, key off, get ready to crash. It sounds like he at least had time for step 1.

Ouch. That thing folded up like an accordion.

BTW, the whole "throttle stuck open" thing is always suspect. There isn't a car alive, including the Atom, that has more power than brake.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Both feet in, key off, get ready to crash. It sounds like he at least had time for step 1.
    ^^ best idea.

Both feet in, no key off, toast engine, but no crash. Rebuild engine, not the car.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I've had my throttle get stuck at WOT due to the gas pedal getting caught on some loose wires under the dash. Just like suggested above I turned the ignition off and coasted into a parking lot.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    BTW, the whole "throttle stuck open" thing is always suspect. There isn't a car alive, including the Atom, that has more power than brake.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Ouch. That thing folded up like an accordion.

I beg to differ. I hate to say this but I hit my house with my RAM. My foot slipped off the clutch and while I had the brakes down the engine management system would not let it die and it lurched into my house before I could engage the clutch again. Believe me when I say that I had the brake FULLY depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Agreed.
    um...yeah there is.

I remember some story about a woman in an e36 where the throttle stuck and she drove down the new jersey turnpike with the throttle stuck open. What a moron.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

So much for that "space frame". Looks like they used exhaust tubing instead of heavy wall DOM. He/they were lucky!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I beg to differ. I hate to say this but I hit my house with my RAM. My foot slipped off the clutch and while I had the brakes down the engine management system would not let it die and it lurched into my house before I could engage the clutch again. Believe me when I say that I had the brake FULLY depressed.
    Let me guess... Cummins diesel and you had it in first?

I actually did that once at a drive through... engine didn't die and I traveled the length of the truck before I could get the clutch pushed in.

This is my biggest fear with my truck due to where it parks in the garage. It's right on the other side of a wall from my bedroom... it'd go through that interior wall like it wasn't even there...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Let me guess... Cummins diesel and you had it in first?
    BING BING BING BING BING.....

We have a winner.

The scary part is that the truck has 15 inch disc brakes on all 4 corners and hydroboost on the master cylinder.

Back on topic: I wonder how fast they were traveling when they hit the wall. And why not just put it in neutral and let the engine blow.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post

Back on topic: I wonder how fast they were traveling when they hit the wall. And why not just put it in neutral and let the engine blow.
    I also wonder how fast they were going.

I speculate the "why not clutch in and blow it" question is answered by the fact that in stressful, time sensitive instances, it can be hard to think through problems like that (I have frozen before). Also, I Imagine the driver was showing off to his passenger a bit, and didn't realize the throttle was stuck until a very late braking point (shortening the amount of time he had to decide on a plan of action). Just because he states that he wasn't racing, doesn't mean he wasn't hot rodding. To some people, racing is defined by the presence of an opponent.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Don't forget that you only get vacuum assist for one push on the pedal if you really are at full throttle...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton