Thread: Need some R12

Default Need some R12

Not for me but I started car-pooling and my buddy's Jeep needs some R12.
    OK, it's hot and every other day between my Miata and the Jeep is torture.
    Been out of luck locating some locally other than the jacked up prices at a shop that does it all.
    I have the lines to do it and do my own car but no R12.
    Anyone have some locally that they would be willing to depart with?
    If so, ping me off list at [email protected]
    TIA.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

It would be better to go ahead and convert it over to R-134a. The kits are cheaper than the R-12.
    You might also try mixing half propane and half butane and putting it in the system. It takes roughly 10 ounces of that mixture to equal 16 oz of the R-12. This is basically the same mixture that they sell called OZ-12a or freeze-12. Make sure you have plenty of oil in the compressor.

[rant]
    Some wacko with no idea how freon 12 work seems to think that it can get into the atmosphere way up above all of the clouds and deplete the ozone, you know. Have you ever thought that the lightening is replenishing all of that ozone? and what about all these ozone alert days? haven't we had a lot more of them since we banned that nasty R-12? And how about the law of physics that states that matter can neither be added or taken away? Isn't it true that the patent was just about to expire for R-12 when the government all of the sudden got wind that this stuff was bad for the environment. [/rant]
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I just had my A/C recharged at Fifth Gear Automotive in Flower Mound. He was charging $65/pound for R-12. I don't know that he'll sell it outright, but it's worth a call. He also mentioned that he was passing on his cost to me since he bought his stock last year (current street price is somewhere around $100-110/pound).

All-in-all I paid for 2 hours labor + 1/2 pound of R-12 and my Miata's A/C is ice cold again.

Decent guys over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Here's some locally. See if he's still got them, I need a can.

You can always find some on ebay.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/721820840.html

Default Thanks

Thanks to all.
    Of all thinks one of my buddies called and he has an air conditioning liscense and has R12.
    he is fixing us up.
    Great group here as always.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon