Thread: Koni Orange Shocks (non-adjustable)

Default Koni Orange Shocks (non-adjustable)

Anyone out there have/had these? Goodwin Racing has them $69 each.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Sounds like a TCB deal! I have no idea how good they are. I guess anything with Koni's name on it has to be better than those from the lesser names! Are they for NA or NB? I guess the mount on the earlier NA is diff. from the NB.
    Gabriel

I called Goodwin Racing yesterday, and they said this was a brand new shock from Koni. It was designed to be an OE replacement. I will probably put these on my car.
    Last edited by motorollow; 07-09-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added linkie
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Sounds like a great price. The yellows are twice that cost.

Are you on the fence as to what you want to do or looking for a TCB deal for now?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I have a LOT of PM work to do (timing belt, water pump, belts, hoses, CAS o-ring, shift boots, front brakes, transmission & rear-end fluids), so I am just trying to keep my costs down. The shocks and boots have never been changed in 230K miles, but everything else was done at 100K. Any shock would be an improvement over what I have now.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Don't forget to pick up some new boots. The OEM ones (that include the bump stops) are pricey. While you might be able to cut out the old bump stops and re-use them with some generic Rancho shock boots from your favorite off-road store, the old bump stops will be real squishy and allow too much body roll. So, in short, when you replace the shocks, also plan on replacing the boots and bump stops, be it with OEM or after-market.

I understand. I ran into to the same thing, except wanting to spend my money on other power mods. I needed new shocks and didn't want to spend the ~$1000+ on TEINs. So I went with some used KONIs yellows in the back(~$60), new KONI's in front (~$133 each) and a used set of FCM (~$150). So that's a total of about $500.

You can do it cheaper if you make your own NB mounts. Or the Orange's might be good to go for the street. I'm still getting used to my setup and need an alignment now, the front has dropped alot.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Don't forget to pick up some new boots. The OEM ones (that include the bump stops) are pricey. While you might be able to cut out the old bump stops and re-use them with some generic Rancho shock boots from your favorite off-road store, the old bump stops will be real squishy and allow too much body roll. So, in short, when you replace the shocks, also plan on replacing the boots and bump stops, be it with OEM or after-market.
    I don't think the boots really do much except trap dirt in there. The OEM one probably don't last for more than a couple thousand miles anyway.

The red ones from FCM are pretty red though.

Chris

So did anyone ever get a set of these Orange Konis?

No, because I've been procrastinating (I have not done my TB either). I have only been driving 1.5 miles to the DART bus station lately, so I have put it off. I need to check and see if there are any reviews out there.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

I swiped the Miata yesterday for a quick run to Longview, Tyler, Wills Point, Terrell and back home.

It needs shocks badly! Think I may just go the TCB route and try a set of these.

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

Default Kyb gr2

Just replaced my OEM shocks with these and really like the new ride. My old ones must have been really worn out because even my wife can tell the difference in the ride. They were pretty cheap, (about $70 each) and the job wasn't too hard.

Woo-hoo, tech day with POS Racing to install IMVivid's new shocks!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jsforrest View Post
    They were pretty cheap, (about $70 each) and the job wasn't too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Woo-hoo, tech day with POS Racing to install IMVivid's new shocks!
    You can get the adjustable AGX's for around $75 each. jsforrest installed the GR2's according to his post.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You can get the adjustable AGX's for around $75 each. jsforrest installed the GR2's according to his post.
    We'll have a tech day, anyway... with blackjack... and hookers... in fact, forget about the tech day and the blackjack!

This episode was on last night. Classic.