Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating Problems -Almost Ready to Give Up

Default Overheating Problems -Almost Ready to Give Up

I have had overheating problems since I bought my '93 Miata a year ago despite replacing a water pump, a head and most of the hoses, some of them even twice. I have spent over $1,000 already. Still the car overheats. It has be so unreliable that I am unable to use it as a daily driver. I have missed most of the autocrosses in the last three months and I am considering putting the car up for sale on e-bay. I have never had so many problems with any kind of car before. My MGB wasn't even this bad. Do I just have a lemon or are these cars just prone to overheating?

Driver
    Blog Entries

Here is everything I can think of, maybe something here will give you an idea -

1. Dirty radiator (inside and/or outside)
    2. License plate blocking the airflow (common with Miatas)
    3. Cracked head / bad headgasket
    4. Fans connected backwards
    5. Bad thermostat
    6. Bad waterpump
    7. All anti-freeze / no water in a marginal system
    8. Too small of a radiator for modifications/climate (common in this area)
    9. Fan motors dirty, fans running slow
    10. Fans not working at all due to bad relay/fuse.

Hope this helps
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    Here is everything I can think of, maybe something here will give you an idea -

1. Dirty radiator (inside and/or outside)
    2. License plate blocking the airflow (common with Miatas)
    3. Cracked head / bad headgasket
    4. Fans connected backwards
    5. Bad thermostat
    6. Bad waterpump
    7. All anti-freeze / no water in a marginal system
    8. Too small of a radiator for modifications/climate (common in this area)
    9. Fan motors dirty, fans running slow
    10. Fans not working at all due to bad relay/fuse.

Hope this helps

If it were all antifreeze and no water that would be a problem?

I'd start by replacing the t-stat and flushing the coolant. If that doesn't work I'd replace the radiator (2008-1993=15 years=lots of scale and buildup in your stock radiator).

Give those a try and see how they do.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdoggie View Post
    Yes! A 50/50 mixture (distilled water/antifreeze) is much better. You can buy it pre-mixed that way as well.

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdoggie View Post
    Antifreeze has a much lower specific heat than water. I forgot the exact numbers, but if I remember correctly, antifreeze is a bit more than half as effective as water.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Run as little antifreeze as possible. Water Wetter helps a little too.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Yes! A 50/50 mixture (distilled water/antifreeze) is much better. You can buy it pre-mixed that way as well.

I saw the 50/50 mix last week at Walmart, almost same price. Buy 5-6 quarts (I dunno gallons) of distilled water and a thing of regular preston. I put in a quart of anti-freeze and 5 quarts of water recently (you can go less though).

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    IMHO, 70/30 is best for this climate.

I also have been using "Liquid Cool" for over 20 years, on the advice of a dirt track racer.

I have seen dragging fans. Ones that run but don't pull enough air.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    ...5-6 quarts (I dunno gallons) ...
    QUARTer of a gallon

or...

4 quarts = 1 gallon
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

As ken o states, try $10 dollar bottle of water wetter or my recent new purchase of Purple Ice for the spec.

Don't forget a plugged up heater core or a kinked hose will also cause overheating problems.

Have you checked that hidden hose that runs from under the airbox to under the exhaust manifold? If someone used a cheezy aftermarket hose there it may have kinked, restricting flow.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I'm with Rogue, I use 70% water and 30% antifreeze. I've helped fix 2 overheating miatas just by changing the ratio.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I'm with Rogue, I use 70% water and 30% antifreeze. I've helped fix 2 overheating miatas just by changing the ratio.

Interesting, the Peak antifreeze table below recommends the exact opposite ratio (see bottom).

1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I had some overheating problems in my 1991 Ford Ranger, and the mechanic told me that I needed a new radiator (the PO never changed the coolant in 16 years). He also said I needed to clean out the rust in the engine. The mechanic told me to drain the coolant, fill up with water, and add 1/2 cup of Cascade dishwashing soap. He said to run it a while and then drain and refill with coolant. He said this works better than anything else he has tried. Anybody out there ever use Cascade for cleaning the engine/radiator?
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

[QUOTE=motorollow;151663]Interesting, the Peak antifreeze table recommends the exact opposite ratio.

Is hasn't been -34* in D/FW for quite awhile.

Anti-freeze changes the boiling point, but so does pressure. As already stated, anti-freeze does not transfer the as effectively as water.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

According to the chart, a 3:7 ratio (antifreeze to water) means you're protected down to 4 degrees Farenheit. The freezing point changes much more drastically than the boiling point. I suppose that's why they don't call it antiboil!

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Does the lower amount of antifreeze to water make the heat transfer better (faster)?

2. Do you risk faster corrosion with less antifreeze?

3. What ratio would be good for prep for a track day?

I've usually done 50/50 as recommended but then again, I don't think manufacturers care about the longevity of my radiator and would love to sell me more product than I need.

does it overheat when stopped or moving?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Driver
    Blog Entries

Looking at past climatology, it looks like the lowest ever recorded temps around here are just under 0 degrees F, which a 35% coolant/65% water would cover according to the table above. For me, it isn't worth keeping over 30% coolant (to cover temps less than 4 degrees F) when that situation won't be encountered but a few times a decade.

Here's a link that explains a lot. (Everybody probably already knows this, but just in case, since the table doesn't specifically say so, pure water has a specific heat of 1, and specific heat is the measure of how much heat energy can be absorbed/transferred.)
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast