Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: my build thread

Looks fun. I thought you had 2 sets of 6UL's though?

Are you using the MS for EBC?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Looks fun. I thought you had 2 sets of 6UL's though?

Are you using the MS for EBC?

Chris
    I'm awaiting the 6UL"R"

and

not yet. I want to get a 3psi wastegate actuator first.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I'm awaiting the 6UL"R"

and

not yet. I want to get a 3psi wastegate actuator first.
    Oohh, I just saw the 6ULR on 949's website, I hadn't heard of them. I'll be on the lookout for some used 6UL's next year...

Why not just build a simple MBC? Do they even make a 3 psi can, the smallest I remember hearing about is Greddy's.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

here's an old "before" picture, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Oohh, I just saw the 6ULR on 949's website, I hadn't heard of them. I'll be on the lookout for some used 6UL's next year...

Why not just build a simple MBC? Do they even make a 3 psi can, the smallest I remember hearing about is Greddy's.

Chris
    i have a manual controller. The cool part about the weak spring is a lower boost threshold. you can hold the wastegate flapper closer to the housing, so the turbo spools faster. There is a sweetspot between early spool and overboost. I'm using a GM boost solenoid for EBC / TPS based boost control.

I ran out of fuel for some reason at 200whp on the dyno. So I bought a fuel pump and I'm about to order an aeromotive regulator. I think 150k miles may have done those parts in.

I should note that the car feels awesome though at 200whp, and it hits 12 psi (creep) at 3600rpm in 4th without the MBC (it will spool lower). It feels like a rocket even with weenie power, this car is going to be great with decent tires and track-fun. Now I'm driving a car that can get away from me, which is a new concept. I haven't driven a car with more than 94whp in about 8-years, so I'm all smiles right now...unfortunately there is still a lot of work to do.

Congratulations on your hard work. I know you'll enjoy it in the long run.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

like I said, this will get much better next week. It feels pretty serious about torque at 4k rpm. 200whp still feels like a girl car on the street...but it could be really interesting on the track.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 01-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.

oh, and my lc-1 is whacked out (probably user error) and I'm getting crappy signal to the MAP sensor:

lots of work to do

but not bad to see 10psi at 3800rpm on an 8.6:1 motor that everyone told me would be miserably sluggish...and nothing crazy on the spark map:

I still say push 17-18 psi in town. I drove the jackel at 14psi for a short period. I decided to play safe and back it down to 12.
    With the setup you have, and a 6-speed in the garage. I would atleast push 300-350. That is very nice setup.

so I'm putting in an EGT gauge because the glowing turbo shit makes me nervous. I know its supposed to glow, but its not cooling as fast as my vw's did, which makes me nervous. Maybe this ceramic coating works better than I thought it would. Hopefully the chra doesn't mind.

I don't need 300whp, its not that kind of car. Its made to chase expensive cars on a track. Hopefully it will and do it reliably.

the next pic will show everything unnecessary removed, cleaned up, COPs, and other assorted coolness.

Why don't you just drive it and enjoy it for a while?

Hey, what's your specs for your engine stethoscope?

Chris

Blog Entries

That looks maaaavolous.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Looks very nice, even if you still have some tidying to do in there. Aside from the canister and the coil of hose, how much are you planning to delete or tuck?

I'd love to take a peek at your reroute setup next time you (and your car) are actually in town.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

You need to let Chris and I do the mojo to the interior and get some damn steering rack plugs!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    You need to let Chris and I do the mojo to the interior and get some damn steering rack plugs!
    Shut your whore mouth, the carpet stays. The car is too much fun to not drive on the street. I need some heat-shielding on the trans tunnel though.

14psi may show up this weekend...but I need the cops and I'm taking it to Alamo before the beatings commence.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 01-28-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    Looks very nice, even if you still have some tidying to do in there. Aside from the canister and the coil of hose, how much are you planning to delete or tuck?

I'd love to take a peek at your reroute setup next time you (and your car) are actually in town.
    The wiring will be simplified and made pretty, I have slim fans I need to make a shroud for, and I'm also probably going to do the AWR header tank and swirl pot. Its cheap headroom at $100 each.

I have an adjustable scooper from BEGi now, and there's going to be a 4"+ splitter set-up coming down the pipe too which will incorporate the scooper and oil oil cooler. I think I need all the air I can get on the heat exchangers.

I have to get the bumper and FM hood painted too. Then I'll be ready for the track.

Looking good, must be a hoot to drive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast