Thread: Potential newbie, looking for a daily driver/track toy

Default Potential newbie, looking for a daily driver/track toy

Hi guys,

I've finally moved back to Dallas, and I'm ready to get into auto-x and doing track days at venues like MSR, and any other track that's within reasonable distance.

I currently drive a 2007 Mustang GT, which I really want to replace with something lighter and better suited to auto-x and the track. I'm interested in the MX5 because of it's reputation for being great on a track. I'm slightly concerned about the convertible issue. I've been researching whether or not roll bars are required. I've been told that auto-x won't require it; to do track days it depends on the track. While auto-x looks like fun, track days are what I really want to get into. I've heard some tracks don't require roll bars, some tracks required them, and some tracks say no convertibles.

So I guess what my question really is: do MSR and the other tracks local to DFW require you to have a roll bar or not allow any convertibles on their tracks?

Thanks guys

Welcome to the board!

You'll have to check the specific regulations of whatever group you want to run with. There are several different groups that run at MSR: Apex Driving Academy, NASA, The Driver's Edge, Porsche Club of America, BMWCCA, etc. Every one has different rules regarding open cars. Some require a rollbar, some require a rollbar and the driver's heolmeted head be a minimum of 2" below the top of the rollbar (hard to do in a stock Miata unless you're a midget), some don't require a bar at all.

I would suggest you start with the website of whatever group you want to run with and find out what their specific requirements are.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

You drive an 8 I see :). I'm also considering an 8 for my daily driver/track toy. With the 8 I wouldn't have to worry about the roll bar obviously, which would be nice. I've driven an 8, but it had the moonroof and I didn't feel like there was enough room in it to wear a helmet. I need to go sit in one without the moonroof. I've been waiting to go sit in an '09 R3 to see if the Recaros provide any more headroom...

Thanks for the reply. I'd hate to get an mx5 and then find out they are not allowed at the venues near by. But after youtubing MSR I've seen some clips of mx5's doing laps so...

I wouldn't go to the track without a roll bar. Not a chance.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Buy nealb's miata.
    /thread

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard!

Shameless plug -
    http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=12519

That's a good looking miata, but I'm not quite in the market yet :). I'm taking the Texas Bar to become an attorney (I hope...) next week. So in a month or so I'll start really looking for a car.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    You drive an 8 I see :). I'm also considering an 8 for my daily driver/track toy. With the 8 I wouldn't have to worry about the roll bar obviously, which would be nice. I've driven an 8, but it had the moonroof and I didn't feel like there was enough room in it to wear a helmet. I need to go sit in one without the moonroof. I've been waiting to go sit in an '09 R3 to see if the Recaros provide any more headroom...

Thanks for the reply. I'd hate to get an mx5 and then find out they are not allowed at the venues near by. But after youtubing MSR I've seen some clips of mx5's doing laps so...
    Yeah, the moonroof eats up a lot of space. I can't even fit in a moonroof RX-8 with my helmet on, yet my '04 Sport (w/o moonroof) is very comfortable with my helmet on.

The R3 Recaros are sexy. The rest of the car, not so much imho. My tip: save yourself fifteen grand by buying a used '04-'06 Base or Sport RX-8. Both cars have the same suspension tuning, 6-speed manual, bigger brakes, limited slip, etc. The Sport adds HIDs, fully defeatable DSC, and foglights, all of which are nice on a daily driver).

The RX-8 is a very capable track car. If you'd like to ride shotgun for a few laps in mine at MSR some time, drop me a PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm on the fence about a used sport vs. an 09 any trim level. I like the styling of the 04-08 better. I'm tempted by the 09 because of the 4.77 final drive and the updated oil port (or whatever it's called).

Oh, and I will absolutely take you up on your offer to ride shotgun. I'm dying to get out onto the track in anyway I can. Thanks!

4.77s can be retrofitted to an earlier car. As for the updated oil ports... for extended track use, the transmission in the '04-'08 cars seems to be a weaker link than the engine (also note that Mazda extended the factory engine warranty for all '04-'08 car to 8 years/100k miles). SCCA T3 guys replace them every season or two, and I'm on my 2nd one (2nd gear synchro went bad in the 1st at around 35k miles). However in my case the original owner used my car exclusively for National Solo and ProSolo competition, which is harder on the 2nd gear synchro than track use.

The '09 transmission - which is the same as the one found in the '06+ MX-5 - is reputed to be stronger. That said, torque isn't the problem with building a better tranny for an RX-8. Ensuring adequate lubrication at high input shaft velocities is the issue. Since the RX-8's redline is almost 2k rpm higher than an MX-5, I'd say the jury is still out on whether then new 'box will really last longer in this application.
    Iain

wow, good info. ya, I was hoping the transmission was stronger too. That's a good point about the higher redline.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I wouldn't go to the track without a roll bar. Not a chance.

+1. Roll bar is essential extra insurance on the street for me as well.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant