Thread: NEW (to me) Borla cat-back installed!

Default NEW (to me) Borla cat-back installed!

I love it!

...and it was a hell of a deal!

The Butt Dyno says it pulls a little harder from mid-range on up. The Ear Dyno says I oughta be turning 13's in the 1/4 ... but it's actually very civilized on the road. Not ricey, no droning, aggressive when it needs to be, but it falls nicely into the background when cruising. Plus, I didn't weigh it versus the OEM cat-back, but it feels about 10 lbs lighter than stock.

We'll see what this does for the power on the Real Dyno... I got the car on a dyno Saturday morning for a few bone-stock runs and it pulled...

103.1 hp
    99.0 lb-ft

BTW... if anybody's interested, I snagged a copy of the GRM issue that contains the Miata Cat Shootout - the MagnaFlow direct-fit and the FM cat pretty much tied for tops (about 1-3 hp gain from mid-range on up), but all of them were in the same ballpark.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 08-17-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Default I love my Borla

I'm with you 100% on the sound and the Butt Dyno. Let us know what the results of the real Dyno is...It will be interesting.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

How does it sound under an overpass?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    How does it sound under an overpass?
    Very niiiiice...

An Addison Tunnel run is on the agenda for lunch today.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Congrats! Now we need pics :P

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Very niiiiice...

An Addison Tunnel run is on the agenda for lunch today.
    That place is fun, I got a running start from the tollway side, caught the green light with no one in front of me in the Lotus one afternoon and lets say I was approaching arrest me speeds at the 1/2 point and unmentionable speeds by the time I had to brake. Elise sounds like a F1 car in there
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Elise sounds like a F1 car in there
    That's how my NA sounds... I think my exhaust has something wrong with it

I do have that custom (faux) dual system on it, plus no cat, plus I think it has a leak near the header. It just happens to sound awesome (though quiet) in a tunnel.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    That place is fun, I got a running start from the tollway side, caught the green light with no one in front of me in the Lotus one afternoon and lets say I was approaching arrest me speeds at the 1/2 point and unmentionable speeds by the time I had to brake. Elise sounds like a F1 car in there
    Heh heh... I did the tunnel run today and, while it's not quite an F1-caliber soundtrack, it sounds real damn good! I rolled into entrance of the tunnel in 2nd gear, about 3K RPM, and then just let it rip to the other end. I snagged a good chunk of 4th before I hit the other end... good times!

...and I'm workin' on pics. I didn't have a camera (or a phone) on me during the install. Suffice to say that it looks purty under there - and you can't see the muffler hanging down below the bumper...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days