Thread: Fort Worth Man Shoots, Kills Neighbor's Dogs

Default Fort Worth Man Shoots, Kills Neighbor's Dogs

Katherine Blake FORT WORTH (CBS 11 News) ―

A North Texas family is mourning the loss of two of their pets. The nine-month-old pit bulls were shot and killed by a neighbor who says it was self defense.

The shooting happened in a neighborhood off Ten Mile Bridge Road in northwest Fort Worth. The neighbors never had any problems before. But that all changed over the weekend. The man who pulled the trigger says he didn't have any choice. But the dogs' owners disagree.

Kristopher Harrison has a six-year-old daughter. He says that's why he was upset when two pit bulls wandered into his backyard Saturday afternoon. Harrison says he told his next door neighbors, if it happened again, he would shoot the dogs. And that's exactly what he did around 4 a.m. Sunday morning.

Harrison says he and a friend were taking a break from watching the Olympics when the nine-month-old dog named 'Scarface' crawled under the fence. Harrison had his shotgun with him, so he says he shot the dog and the dog's sister, 'Lady'. "I wish he just would have went in the house and would have came and told me instead of retaliating that way," dog owner Shaylen Ross said.

One of the animals was found dead in Harrison's backyard. The other was found dead in its own backyard. (the dog was shot in the residents backyard and then ran back through the hole to the owners yard).

"He was showing his teeth, growling and he was coming at me," Harrison explained. "The second dog, I didn't know. I didn't think I was going to have to shoot him, because he seemed a little hesitant. But then he looked at the hole in the fence. I thought he was going to go back under, then he turned around and started coming at me and that's when I shot him."

Fort Worth Police are reviewing the case, but they say if the dogs were in the neighbor's yard when they were shot it's unlikely that any charges will be filed.

The PD said that other neighbors have filed complaints about the same dogs charging after them...so it's not like the owner didn't know the dogs needed to be kept strictly confined to his backyard. I'd hate to be the neighbor that shot the dogs for fear of retaliation from the neighbor who doesn't feel he was justified in shooting them after he'd been warned that if it happened again he would shoot them. I guess he didn't think he was serious.

Man, I'm sick of hearing about pitbulls. Seems like somebodies kid gets mauled every other day...

They need to quit letting idiots own them.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Man, I'm sick of hearing about pitbulls. Seems like somebodies kid gets mauled every other day...

Here's an idea... Send the dogs off to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm... Turn their owners into Soylent Green...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'll argue, that the act of mourning only applies to HUMAN life. But newspapers are there to make a profit..

Sounds like the dogs had it coming. Rather or not the shooting could have been avoided, is of course a point of contention.

Not enough people are Pack Leaders and instead let their dogs do as they please. Sometimes, to the detriment of Human Life.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

It's not the breed, it's the owners. Any dog has the potential to attack if not properly raised.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Turn their owners into Soylent Green...
    I wiki'd the term, thanks for ruining the movie. Actually Yahoo ruined it a couple weeks for me by posting it in biggest movie twists news.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

The simple act of feeding your dog before you sit down to eat dinner reinforces a dogs self ego that he's alpha, not to mention giving him scraps from table while you eat.

Letting a dog go outside or through a doorway before you also reinforces this.

A dog nips or bites at you and all you do is scold him reinforces this.

Most people anthropomorphize animals and it really is to their detriment.

The owners share the blame. If my neighbor told me he'd shoot my dog if it entered his back yard again, I would make sure to place resistant barriers to prevent the dog from digging and repair any existing holes.

As a father I can also see why the man might feel he had just cause but at 4am I question any threat to his children and the argument that he felt threatened seems like a cover story.

Either way, it seems there is no legal issue but he might get sued in civil court. He also has neighbors that hate him and that can be a whole other pain in the ass.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    It's not the breed, it's the owners. Any dog has the potential to attack if not properly raised.
    I agree with BR on this point... it's partly the owners. I also agree that the media frequently demonizes the pitbull breed, but they are in many cases very aggressive animals that shouldn't be owned by irresponsible people.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata