Thread: ***CANCELLED*** North TX S2k Autocross #3, Sat, Sept. 13th

Exclamation ***CANCELLED*** North TX S2k Autocross #3, Sat, Sept. 13th

Event is cancelled
    Event is cancelled
    Event is cancelled

OK guys and gals, it's time for Autocross #3 for this season. The weather should be perfect. Mark your calendars now, register and spread the word concerning this event. If you have never been to one of these events, it is a must even if you don't intend to drive. Simply riding with others, can be a life changing experience.

What: NTS2KOC 2008 Championship Autocross #3
    When: Saturday Sept. 13, 2008
    Where: Mineral Wells, TX - Click Here for Map
    Registration NOW OPEN: We have not been able to fix the communications problem between PayPal and DLB Racing so please complete BOTH of these simple steps. Note that On-line registration is required and will be limited to 55 drivers.

STEP 1 - CLICK HERE TO REGISTER. For the rest of this year club membership will be included in the Event Fee ($30). This is a first-come, first-served. Given we are encouraging S2000 owners to come out, there is no cap for S2000 participants. If you sign-up and find that you can't make it for some reason, please cancel on-line at least 24 hours in advance so others can have the opportunity to sign-up and so that you can receive a refund.

STEP 2: Click Click HERE to Add Your Name to Drivers List

Sorry for the two step process again. However, it does work. If you have already paid and your name is not on the drivers list, please complete STEP 2.

If you cannot pay on-line: Please mail you check to David Temming on or before Wednesday, Sept. 10th and PM him to let him know it is coming or with questions.

FAQ's
    What is an Autocross - Autocross events such as this event are low to medium speed auto racing events that allow you to enjoy your car at or near it's limits in as safe a manner as possible; they are often run on parking lots and airport runways. Generally a course will be defined using traffic cones. One driver at a time negotiates a course laid out with the cones, or pylons, testing their skill against the clock. Time penalties are charged for disturbing cones. In most regions, the penalty is 2 seconds per cone, although in some places it may be 1 second. Course speeds are generally limited by technical challenges to around 70mph.

Why Autocross - There are lots of reasons. Autocross is an inexpensive, safe way to experience the excitment of true racing. It helps you discover your car's capabilities and limitations, making you a better, safer driver on the road. And it develops your own driving ability. Many would-be race drivers use it as a jump point into the sport of road racing. But probably the greatest thrill of autocross is the challenge of beating your own time.

The event details…

A. REGISTRATION:

1. Pre-Registration for NTS2KOC Autocrosses is required and can be accessed on-line at www.dlbracing.com/clubs/s2000. Registration will be capped at 55 drivers. Drivers who register in the competition class S2000 or S2000 R will not be subject to the cap. On-line registration for each event will commence at 6 AM on the Friday three weeks prior to the event and will subsequently close at 7 AM on the Friday prior to the event. Registration for the event will generally not be available on site.
    2. Club membership in the NTS2KOC is required and is included in the event fee. Membership is required for insurance purposes.
    3. The cost for each event is $30.
    4. Licensed minors 16 years and older may participate in the event only with written parental consent. If the parent will not be not on site, confirmation of permission must be made prior to participation by contacting the track events coordinator. Minors under 16 may only ride in a vehicle owned and driven by their parent during fun runs (if conducted).
    5. All persons present at the event must sign a release waiver. Minors (under 1 must have waiver signed by parent or guardian.

B. COMPETITION FORMAT & SCHEDULE

1. The schedule is as follows:
    Saturday
    6:45am – Course Setup
    7:30-9:30am – Registration & Car Prep/Tech
    9:30am – Driver’s Meeting
    9:45am – Parade Lap
    10:00am – Session Begins
    Noon-1:00pm – Break for Lunch
    1:00pm – Session Begins
    Following afternoon session – Fun Runs & Course Tear Down
    2. The day will be divided into four sessions, drive two and work two, with each driver completing 4 timed runs per session totaling 8 runs per event.
    3. Drivers and passengers must wear seat belts and helmets while on the autocross course.
    4. Instructors are available. Please request an instructor at the registration desk.
    5. If you are not driving a particular session, you will be working. Work categories include timing/scoring, grid, instructing, and corner working.
    6. An entrant may only compete and earn points in one class per event.

C. EVENT SCORING SYSTEM & CAR CLASSIFICATION:

1. Every car whose driver completes all required corner work duties is eligible to receive scoring points according to the time standing in the driver’s class. A driver is allowed to receive points in only one class and one position per event. Points will be scored as follows:

Position Points per Class:
    9 points- First place
    6 points- Second place
    4 points- Third place
    3 points- Fourth place
    2 points- Fifth place
    1 point – Sixth place and all other participants in class

2. The club will award points during each of the five autocross's with a final championship trophy being awarded at the end of the season. Awards will be presented at the NTS2KOC December Holiday party. Trophies or certificates will be presented to competitors who have attended at least four events in the same class. Only the best four finishes for each driver will count towards the points total. If a driver changes classes during the season, any points accumulated in a given class will remain with that class and cannot be combined with points in any other class. In the event of a position points tie at the end of the year in a particular class, each driver’s best times from all events in which the tying competitors both competed will be added up and the lowest aggregate time will determine the winner of that position.
    3. Cars will be divided into several classes to provide reasonable competition. The default classes are S2000, S2000 R, Open, and Open R (with the differentiation being R-compound tire choice). Miata and Miata R may also be offered. Classification of other models will be based on attendance. A quota of at least four of a particular model is required for points to be awarded at an event. In order for a championship to be awarded, at least five of the events need to meet the quota. All models that do not form a class may compete for the championship in the Open classes.
    Last edited by sammm; 09-11-2008 at 08:42 AM.

I'll be there if it doesn't rain. Wait, no, I'll be somewhere else that Saturday.
    Last edited by Darron65; 08-29-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: learned to read my calendar

Don't forget to sign up early because of the cap, and with the two-step procedure, sign up often!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I tried.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'm in see you guys their. jrj512 do you need help with setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I'm in see you guys their. jrj512 do you need help with setup?
    Yep. I guess the same time as before. I will roll in about 6ish and start the prelim work and actually beging placing cones by about 6:30.

Talking

I'm in!

Lots of seat time and a cap on attendance make these some of the best AX events around!

S2K events are a great place for a newbie to see if they like AX!

Rumor on the street is if they don't get a few more folks to sign up they may "delay" this event!

If ya want to go now is the time to sign-up!

WOOT!!!

DLB finally let me in

I wish they would use AXWare
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    WOOT!!!

DLB finally let me in

You sick puppy, you!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this event because of family birthday celebrations taking place. STUPID FAMILY!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    WOOT!!!

DLB finally let me in

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    You sick puppy, you!
    I was trolling for altiain. I figured he'd smell the AXWare and go for the bait
    Last edited by onething; 09-08-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Are you kidding? I love AxWare!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Anybody have opinions on whether we should proceed with the event in light of hurricane IKE heading our way?

Quote Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
    Anybody have opinions on whether we should proceed with the event in light of hurricane IKE heading our way?
    I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite some time.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
    Between Ike and 12 entries, I don't think there are many options.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Between Ike and 12 entries, I don't think there are many options.
    I thought they had more than 12??

I also believe Titus did not sign up for this event so that will reduce our rain chances considerably!

Event is cancelled.
    Last edited by sammm; 09-11-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: increase font
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

The offical reason from the S2K (Good call BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by Elistan
    Okay, here's the deal. Even if there isn't a direct wind/rain issue at Mineral Wells the first part of Saturday, there's going to be some pretty bad mojo going on in North Texas in general that day. Stuff people need to prepare for ahead of time. Wind, rain, flooding, power outages and tornados oh my. And we STILL don't know the exact path and timing of the storm, therefore I don't think it's safe to go forward with this event.

Here's the National Weather Service's special weather statement for the area:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...ther+Statement

"ALL OF NORTH TEXAS WILL EXPERIENCE STRONG WINDS AS A RESULT OF IKE.
    THE REGION EAST OF I-35 AND SOUTH OF I-20 WILL LIKELY EXPERIENCE THE
    STRONGEST WINDS...WHERE SUSTAINED SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 50 MPH WITH
    GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE ARE POSSIBLE SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
    EARLY SUNDAY. ELSEWHERE ACROSS NORTH TEXAS...SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS
    OF 30 TO 40 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE. HIGH RISE
    BUILDINGS MAY EXPERIENCE EVEN STRONGER WINDS AT ROOFTOP LEVEL.

RESIDENTS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR POWER OUTAGES...TAKE PRECAUTIONS TO
    SECURE OUTDOOR MATERIALS AND PROPERTY THAT ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO STRONG
    WINDS...AND DEVELOP A PERSONAL HURRICANE PLAN. FULL GAS TANKS ARE
    RECOMMENDED AS POWER OUTAGES WILL AFFECT THE ABILITY OF STATIONS TO
    PUMP GAS. CREATE A STOCKPILE OF CANDLES AND MATCHES...OR FLASHLIGHTS
    AND BATTERIES AS WELL. THOSE CLOSE TO THE STORM TRACK MAY WANT TO
    PLACE PLASTIC BAGS IN TRASH CANS AND FILL THEM WITH WATER TO HAVE A
    RESERVE SUPPLY FOR FLUSHING TOILETS SHOULD POWER OUTAGES AFFECT
    WATER PUMPING STATIONS. THE TIME TO GET READY IS NOW."

EVENT CANCELLED