Thread: Inspection sticker dilemma

Default Inspection sticker dilemma

While spending this past weekend in scenic Lubbock Texas, I noticed the inspection sticker on daughter #1's vehicle was expired. Her car is registered in Tarrant county, so it is required to have the emissions test as part of the safety inspection sticker procedure. Lubbock doesn't.

I explained this to a very nice lady at TXDOT. Apparently this is the very first time in the history of the emissions testing program that this has ever happened. Her suggestion was that if she was pulled over, she should explain that she was a student and hope that the officer might give her a break.

Considering that I passed no less than thirteen speed traps on the way back home on 114 after parent's weekend at Tech, I would surmise that students and their parents are the major source of revenue for every hick town from Lubbock to Ft. Worth; I'd doubt the "I'm a student" excuse would get very far.

Can she get a safety inspection sticker there, even though insurance and vehicle show Tarrant ??

Should be able to get a safety inspection done. You'd be obligated to get it reinspected within 3 days of the vehicle returning to Tarrant county. You will then get a special "emissions test only" certificate and pay only the emissions portion of the fee.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

From the STATE OF TEXAS: (emphasis mine)

(3) An inspection station in a county not designated as an affected county shall not inspect a designated vehicle unless the inspection station is certified by the department to perform emissions testing, or unless the motorist presenting the vehicle signs an affidavit on a form provided by the department stating the vehicle is excepted from emissions testing. The affidavit will be held by the inspection station for collection by the department. Under the following exceptions, a vehicle registered in an affected county may receive a safety inspection at an inspection station in a non-affected county.
    (A) The vehicle is not a designated vehicle because it has not and will not be primarily operated in an affected county. This exception includes the following examples.
    (i) Company fleet vehicles owned by business entities registered at a central office located in an affected county but operated from branch offices and locations in non-affected counties on a permanent basis. (ii) Hunting and recreational vehicles registered to the owner in an affected area, but permanently maintained on a hunting or vacation home site in a non-affected county.
    (B) The vehicle no longer qualifies as a designated vehicle because it no longer and will be no longer primarily operated in an affected county. For example, the vehicle registration indicates it is registered in an affected county, but the owner has moved, does not currently reside in, nor will primarily operate the vehicle in an affected county.
    So basically, she can get it inspected out there, but will have to sign an affidavit saying that the car is primarily used there in Lubbock
    Last edited by Dave04; 09-22-2008 at 01:43 PM.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Thanks tailchaser and Dave04, already forwarded that info to my girl. Maybe the TXDOT faq page should have a link to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Thanks tailchaser and Dave04, already forwarded that info to my girl. Maybe the TXDOT faq page should have a link to you guys.
    I only know because I overheard the same discussion from one of our attorneys and their kid at college. She shouldn't get any flack just walking in to the station and getting an inspection. Just understand the certificate isn't valid in Tarrant county until you get it emissions tested and it's your burden of proof to show she has NOT been in Tarrant county for more than 3 consecutive days.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I only know because I overheard the same discussion from one of our attorneys and their kid at college. She shouldn't get any flack just walking in to the station and getting an inspection. Just understand the certificate isn't valid in Tarrant county until you get it emissions tested and it's your burden of proof to show she has NOT been in Tarrant county for more than 3 consecutive days.
    Like I told the knowledgable TXDOT lady, I don't have a problem with doing the emissions test and would have it done if it was offered in Lubbock. Hell, that car hasn't been here for 3 consecutive days since the summer of 06.

Yep, what they said.....my daughter got her car inspected out there every year even though the registration and insurance showed a Dallas license. When she graduated in Dec we got it inspected here so she could get the $3000 voucer from the state to go towards her new Mazda 3!