Thread: Howdy Howdy

Default Howdy Howdy

How's it going,

My names David, I was lucky enough to pick up a low mileage 96 M.

Local to Dallas. I live in Allen. I have a speed 3 as my daily but needed a second car due to school and work schedules conflicting with my wife's. I was looking to buy a light rwd import and narrowed it down to a miata, fc, or the generic 240. Couldn't find a 240 I liked, the fc I was looking at needed a transmission swap so I began to seriously look at miatas. I met with a guy last friday at the shops at legacy and instantly fell in love with his miata.

I can't believe I didn't get one of these sooner. The crisp steering, rapid response, low body roll and firm suspension are definitely impressive.

I bought it as soon as my wife gave me permission.

It's a 96 M edition with 80k on the clock. The engine runs exceptional, the shocks and clutch feel as though they have a decent amount of life left, the only thing that concerns me is the slight nervous feeling on the highway around 65 or so. I think the alignment needs to be checked and I might have the tires balanced if it doesn't go away.

As far as mods go. For the time being I'll probably stick with suspension. First thing is a roll-bar. I can't decide between the boss frog maxx, or the hard dog hc. I'd like to see some in person sometime, and maybe sit in a miata with one. I'm 6'5', 235 so I'm not exactly compact but the car feels like an extension more than a container. After the rb will be a few underbody braces, I like the FM butterfly but haven't looked into it too far. After that sways and coils. Eventually I'd like to go FMII turbo but that's a few years off.

I'm a longer standing member at dfwmazdas.com and regularly go out to Thursday night meets in irving and the monday night RKC's at BJ's. You might have seen the cosmic blue speed 3 with pink fogs driving around if you've gone out to the last couple.

The car had been local to Dallas with most services done at town north so maybe some of you have seen it driving around?

I look forward to coming out to some of the meets and meeting everyone.

A few pictures,

Faster but less agile. The pink looks better in person, or at least that's what I tell people. The speed dyno'd 272/290 a few months back before I put on a new exhaust and midpipe, should be a bit closer to 300 now but I don't know exactly where it's at.

Oh I've noticed a few small scratches in the paint I won't be able to buff out, as well as one or two minor door dings. Are there any shops local to Dallas that would be able to repaint the same color? About how much would that cost? Just something I'd like to know for the future.
    -mk

oh, and I apologize for buying the car if you were looking at it. The guy I bought it from turned down a lot of offers (2 as we were signing over the title :)).

Definitely had timing on my side.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome and congrats on the M! Enjoy!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Great looking car. Congratulations. I have been very happy with my '94 M.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Wow that car looks to be in perfect condition. Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

Welcome, nice find, enjoy
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Welcome.

Welcome. Car look exceptional.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Welcome aboard.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Both clean looking rides although the pink doesn't do anything for me it is "different".

Welcome!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Welcome! 2 good looking cars
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

David,

I met your wife Jenny today at Collin County Community College. Nice girl and a "car chick" to boot. Nice catch there! You didn't mention she drives the 3 with the pink calipers. For her, I approve.

For you it's just a bit too

Y'all need to swing by a Wednesday night GTG.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by mk_slayr View Post

As far as mods go. For the time being I'll probably stick with suspension. First thing is a roll-bar. I can't decide between the boss frog maxx, or the hard dog hc. I'd like to see some in person sometime, and maybe sit in a miata with one.
    Hey David,

Just saw your post, I have the boss frog maxx installed installed in a 2004 if you still want to take a look/seat. I can be around at the next wednesday night GTG, let me know if you want to take a look then or grab a beer etc another time..

Let me know,
    Jason

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah we need to get out some Wed. night. Need some new wheels before I go out in public though :). The plastic chrome nippons that came with it need to go. I'm torn between buying stock wheels (mazda, honda etc) then refinishing them, buying knock-offs, or saving and spending a lot on a nice set. Looking for around 15x8 with a low et, but have to trim fenders first. I'm thinking about buying a cheap set now that work (15x7 +35), until I can install flares for a nice set at the size and offset I want (work equip 01's 15x8 +15, 15x9 +0).

--

Thanks for the offer on the boss frog. I actually installed mine about a month ago and really dig it. I didn't have too much difficulty with the install. Had to grind down the seat belt reel tabs and nearly set my shirt on fire, but that was the biggest event. The more and more I work on this car the better I feel about it. The packaging tray was secured with brand new hardware, the reels were pretty new, and the hubs looked nice and rust free. Looks like it was pretty well maintained.

Best part, I found a 1/4 drive snap-on socket wrench under the packaging tray. Bonus tools ftw. I still haven't quite finished trimming the side moldings so I have something to work on this weekend.
    Last edited by mk_slayr; 10-23-2008 at 05:39 PM.