Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight - Aluminum Jack

Blog Entries

Default Harbor Freight - Aluminum Jack

I went to HF Saturday to look at this "Aluminum racing jack" and see if it was a cheap piece of junk. I was impressed by the quality and price, so I took one home. It works great! Smooth and well made with no plastic parts, it jacked the car up high enough that with jackstands under all four corners, I could get my big belly under the car even when on the creeper.
    I was also pleasantly surprised by the fact that although the website said $99.00 it was on sale in the store for $79.00. Thought you might like to know. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

I've got one, I'm looking to upgrade it for a slightly larger one from Costco though.

Lifting by the dif, I can't get the car as high as I would like. Which I mean to max out my jackstands.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting for this to go on sale again so I could pick one up.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    I've got one, I'm looking to upgrade it for a slightly larger one from Costco though.

Lifting by the dif, I can't get the car as high as I would like. Which I mean to max out my jackstands.

Chris
    If you get a 1x4 board and put it on the jack, you can jack up one side of your car. You need to place the jack directly under the side view mirrors under the bead weld. Jack slowly. It will lift the entire half of the car and you can put jack stands where you would normally use the factory jack.

Just be careful, the HF jacks are known to fail at about a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnyc View Post
    I've had mine for about 6 years... no problems so far.

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=20090

I guess it depends on usage. I have one and it is down/broken after about three years.

Blog Entries

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=20090

I guess it depends on usage. I have one and it is down/broken after about three years.
    From the looks of that thread anything may or may not fail. It is a mechanical thing after all. I guess that's why you ALWAYS use jack stands if any part of you is going to be under the car.

Being a I guess that's why I drive the car up on ramps, jack up and put the other set of wheels up on blocks and then put jackstands under all four corners before I slide up under a car. Been that way since a Huey fell on my head.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    If you get a 1x4 board and put it on the jack, you can jack up one side of your car. You need to place the jack directly under the side view mirrors under the bead weld. Jack slowly. It will lift the entire half of the car and you can put jack stands where you would normally use the factory jack.
    Thanks for the tip. I might try that next time.

Mine has worked fine for >3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Been that way since a Huey fell on my head.

Yea, jacking helicopters isn't fun. It's a very unnatural act.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I bought the same jack about two years ago and have been very happy with it
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I've had mine for 4 or 5 or 6 years now-can't remember. I had a problem with a bad o-ring, but it was fairly easy to fix. Still using it. It's about the only jack that will fit under my car (at a TCB price).
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    I've had mine for 4 or 5 or 6 years now-can't remember. I had a problem with a bad o-ring, but it was fairly easy to fix. Still using it. It's about the only jack that will fit under my car (at a TCB price).
    Did tightening that threaded part fix you up Mark?
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!

One of the casters broken off from mine. Anyone know where I can find a replacement?
    Gabriel

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    One of the casters broken off from mine. Anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Thanks Porf. POS! I will waiting for the next container ship docking at LA.
    Gabriel

Just want to add I picked one up at the Carrollton location, it was on sale for 79.99.

20% off coupon on top of that makes a pretty good deal.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

I bought mine last summer at the suggestion of many happy users. Love it.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

You know I have a jack that is at least 20 years old, bought at K Mart, K Mart brand on it, and it works like a dream to this day.
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

I have a 3-ton HF jack (6+ years) and a HF Aluminum racing jack (2 yrs) and both work great. The big jack has seen a LOT of use, and works great. I also have a HF engine hoist, and the hydraulic unit had to have new seals installed after about 4 V-8 installs, but still worked well. It just leaked and wouldn't hold its height under load for very long without re-jacking, but is fine with new seals. Overall, I think the HF stuff is extremely good for the money, and is perfect for the hobbyist. If I were a professional mechanic or had a tire shop, I would probably opt for more expensive gear, but that's the whole point of HF, IMHO: when you need a specialty tool for occasional use or a special project, HF is the place to go. also perfect for "disposable" items: I have a friend who builds custom pipes for motorcycles, and they use sawzalls a lot in their shop. He used to buy $150 saws and repair them from time-to-time. He was at my place when I used one of the cheap-o $24 units from HF, and he liked it so much he went and bought 10. Now they just use them till they stop, then grab another off the shelf. For cutting exhaust pipe, they are plenty powerful. Perfect example of price/quantity winning-out quality. For this, HF is perfect. for hand tools that you pland to use many times and strength/durability matters, go to Craftsman/MAC/Snap-on.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast