Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATS Miata Dyno Day #2 - 12/11/2004

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So how did it go??

I saw Turboduane's results!
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    '90 silver Dyno'd at 149hp and 136 lbs at 8psi 8 deg timing
    '97 Black Dyno'd at 204 hp and 186 lbs at 13psi ..don't know where the timing is on this one yet.
    Well crap, guess I left before TD got there. My little high mileage 1.6 dynoed at a pleasing 98.7 hp and 89.5 lbs. I was rather happy with that.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I was late, we showed up around 2pm I really thought the event would still be on, but I obviously missed everyone. However Aaron was still willing to throw both cars up for some runs.

While both cars are strong, I must admit I was disappointed with the numbers. Both cars were roughly 25-35 hp less than what I expected, based on Advertised claims. Now I'm really curious, as SS only boosted to 185hp.

I Popped off a consistant 185 HP running "Oh my god, it's off the meter" rich @ 12lbs of boost.

We datalogged the sessions so I will be sending them upto Flyin Miata for analysis and recommendations.
    Man, were going to have to get together and datalog mine. I've got the serial link, but no software. My a/f was spot on for the '97 Miata, and about as close as I'll get the '90 with the BEGI4.2 system.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Here are my dynoruns of my cars at varios stages of work.

The dark blue is my RX7 with the 302.
    The red is my 2000 Supercharged Miata
    The blue is my 2000 pre-Supercharger
    The green is my 91 BRG...

Please note that all of these cars weigh within 300lbs of each other....

This is an open invitation to anyone with a link. I've got the serial interface and all the software. I can datalog till the harddrive burns out on my laptop. I just have no freaking idea what I am looking at.

I will trade software and datalogging for knowledge.

I run a real bargain too. Even if you are a clueless as I am, I would be curious to see what your data MAPs look like for comparison purposes alone.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    This is an open invitation to anyone with a link. I've got the serial interface and all the software. I can datalog till the harddrive burns out on my laptop. I just have no freaking idea what I am looking at.

I run a real bargain too. Even if you are a clueless as I am, I would be curious to see what your data MAPs look like for comparison purposes alone.
    When I'm done with my install, I will surely be interested! Shouldn't be too far into January when we're done!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I'll take you up on it.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I would be willing to lend a hand and share what little I know as long as it is after the holidays. I also have the software, the key is finding a SAFE COP FREE area to do the testing. Read flat level and enough room to run from 2500 RPM in 2nd, and redline in third. I know a few places but I don't know where everyone is. I honestly just go out around midnight and hit and get it! I have a little test track near my house that has been pretty good.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    While both cars are strong, I must admit I was disappointed with the numbers. Both cars were roughly 25-35 hp less than what I expected, based on Advertised claims. Now I'm really curious, as SS only boosted to 185hp.
    Our dyno is the same dyno FM used for all their published test results for the FM2 kits. I don't mean same make/model I mean it is the SAME dyno. We purchased it from Bill about 1.5 years ago. I contacted FM after our first Miata dyno day. They knew our underachieveing results were actually typical of their kits. I don't think FM is trying to screw anybody. FM is located in Grand Junction at considerable altitude. The Dynojet has built in altitude correction that is very accurate for normally aspirated cars, however turbo cars do not suffer as much as NA cars when the air pressure is low (becasue they generate their own pressure).

200 rwhp on an FM2 kit at 12 psi is outstanding performance.

As a comparison: bone stock 2.0 turbo Toyota MR2's make 160 rwhp at 10 psi.
    SR20DET's (also 2.0 turbo) with GT25 turbos make about 217 at 12 psi.

Aaron

For me, it goes beyond just Dyno Queen numbers. I have confidence in the quality of the kit ans support from FM that I can take it to red line consistantly without worrying about the motor. In some cases on road courses, my life may be depending on getting power to the rear wheels smoothly. The FM kit does that. On the street, the miata is little more than a oversized shifter kart. Knowing that I can accelerate myself out of a bad situation makes the miata a viable car for me. Otherwise, I would have stuck with the Cobra.

I am simply in awe of the capacity and capability of the car and the motor. If I am down a few ponies, it doesn't matter to me. Oh by the way, I was running PIG rich.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I am not taking shots at FM as I think they have a great company and did a lot to help me tune my car. They did share with me the "trick" to get a few extra ponies on the dyno. A few being 5-7 hp not a lot, but helps with bragging rights. This trick only works on cars that are pretty close to being perfectly tuned. Sorry if I came across th wrong way.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

No offense taken. I do think they are a little optimistic or they are packing the intercooler with dry ice.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Now THERE'S a new product idea... the "supercooler"
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123