Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASUS Eee PC

Default ASUS Eee PC

Anyone have or used an ASUS Eee PC? I'm toying with the idea of turning my tower into a media storage/print server and getting a pair of Eee PCs for the wife and I. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Anyone have or used an ASUS Eee PC? I'm toying with the idea of turning my tower into a media storage/print server and getting a pair of Eee PCs for the wife and I. Thoughts?
    It'll be interesting to see how long the solid state disks last with repeated writing to them. They are only rated for a certain # of writes. Swap file usage would be the biggest killer.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how long the solid state disks last with repeated writing to them. They are only rated for a certain # of writes. Swap file usage would be the biggest killer.
    It has an SD slot... I suspect, you could throw an SD card in and map the swap file, temp, and cache directories to it if it was a concern.

The new Solid State drives get around the r/w limitations by spreading them across the entire drive instead of just one area even if its one file.

I keep looking at them too, but honestly you can score a couple of cheap traditional laptops for near that kind of money, and I know I'd go blind trying to use a 7" screen...

Now if they ever cough up one with a 10" screen, I might go for one.

Get ready for an invasion of these types of units BTW, Everex is supposed to be bringing the Cloudbook (Linux and a traditional HD) to a Wal Mart near you Q1 08'
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    Get ready for an invasion of these types of units BTW, Everex is supposed to be bringing the Cloudbook (Linux and a traditional HD) to a Wal Mart near you Q1 08'
    It seems like they have been saying that they were coming for a while, but so far nothing.

The Cloudbook release has been pushed back a few times now although it has been available with a Packard Bell label running XP in the UK for months know. It doesn't seem to do much for me. I like the looks of the Eee, and I always was impressed with the several Asus motherboards I used back when I was in to building my own PCs.

It seems like they have been saying that they were coming for a while, but so far nothing.

The Cloudbook release has been pushed back a few times now although it has been available with a Packard Bell label running XP in the UK for months know. It doesn't seem to do much for me. I like the looks of the Eee, and I always was impressed with the several Asus motherboards I used back when I was in to building my own PCs.
    The Eee has been insanely popular, and the other manufacturers have been paying attention. You know Micro$oft has got to be upset by a Linux device that's sold so well so quickly.

I really like the form factor & will be picking up one once the screen size is a bit bigger. I am sorely tempted though, my laptop is ~4 years old an due to be retired, but I can't go from a 12" screen to a 7" and remain very functional for what I need a laptop to do (mostly to run a stock ticker on my days off )

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

I think there should be a 9" coming out later this year. I'm waiting for that one as the 7" is not really useable. Also if you do buy one keep in mind there are several variations. Some you need to open up to upgrade the RAM some you don't.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I went ahead and ordered a 2G Surf in pink for the wife for Valentines day. $285 shipped (after coupon) from Buy.com. If I like it, I'll order a black 8G for myself.

I went ahead and ordered a 2G Surf in pink for the wife for Valentines day. $285 shipped (after coupon) from Buy.com. If I like it, I'll order a black 8G for myself.
    Cool... let us know how you like it.

I'm thinking of sending my daughter off to college with a SFF pc and one of the Eee type units...

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    Cool... let us know how you like it.
    Fed Ex says it just left Irving headed for my house. Hopefully I can test it out tonight after the wife goes to sleep so I can post a preliminary review.

Fed Ex says it just left Irving headed for my house. Hopefully I can test it out tonight after the wife goes to sleep so I can post a preliminary review.
    Great! Can't wait to see how this works out. We've been looking at these.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Great! Can't wait to see how this works out. We've been looking at these.
    +1 are you going to load XP, add memory and tinker or just run the Linux system?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    +1 are you going to load XP, add memory and tinker or just run the Linux system?
    The one I ordered is the base model 2G Surf. This means that the 512mb of RAM is soldered in and it only has 2G of storage space. This makes upgrade possibilities limited, but it is for the wife and should be more than fine for her. I will likely leave Linux (Customized version of Xandros Desktop Edition 4) for her unless she protests. If I am happy with hers, I will be picking up a more powerful and upgradeable one for myself that will get an XP install.

Lots of good info on the specs of the different models can be found here:
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701#models

What are you going to do if you wife and or neighbors catch you using a PINK 2G :-P

What will ppl think !!!
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    What are you going to do if you wife and or neighbors catch you using a PINK 2G :-P

What will ppl think !!!
    I drive a yellow Miata. I'm use to the snickering.

First post from Mozilla Firefox pre-installed on the Eee. First impression- Very small, very cool. Less then 10 minutes from out of the box to connected to wireless and making this post. Screen doesn't bother me but the keyboard will take a bit to get use to.

Here are some pictures. I was unable to crop the pictures with the software that came with the Eee, so I edited them on the desktop first, but I did transfer them to the Eee via an SD card and am posting them from the Eee. That is a DVD case included in the picture for size reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool, I've been looking around in a store to try a demo but I couldn't find anyone that actually carries them. Does anyone know what the final word on upgrading RAM is? I know the 8GB should have the access door for a quick upgrade but does the 4gb/4gb SURF have it as well? If you start with the $500 8gb, spend 50-100 more for more RAM, 50 for 8gb SD card, buy a thin DVD drive it could quickly get to be a $700-800 laptop which doesn't make sense to me.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Very cool, I've been looking around in a store to try a demo but I couldn't find anyone that actually carries them. Does anyone know what the final word on upgrading RAM is? I know the 8GB should have the access door for a quick upgrade but does the 4gb/4gb SURF have it as well? If you start with the $500 8gb, spend 50-100 more for more RAM, 50 for 8gb SD card, buy a thin DVD drive it could quickly get to be a $700-800 laptop which doesn't make sense to me.
    If it is worth the $$ or not depends on how you use it. If you want it as your only computer, then the upgrades are likely worth it. If it is for occasional use, you don't need to upgrade anything. Use it as is.

Here is the RAM info-

2G Surf (all colors)- 512mb, non-upgradeable
    4G Surf (White)- 512mb, upgradeable to 2gb, but you need to open the case.
    4G Surf (Black)- 512mb, upgradeable to 2gb via access cover.
    4G (White and Black)- 512mb, upgradeable to 2gb via access cover.
    4G (Pink) 512mb, upgradeable to 2gb, but you need to open the case.
    8G* (All Colors)- 1gb, upgradeable to 2gb via access cover.

*The 8G was pulled from the shelves due to a hardware issue shortly after going on sale and people seem to think it may be a while before they are back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast