Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Internet for the House

Default High Speed Internet for the House

So what are you kids using for high speed Internet at home?

We are tired of out dial up and want to get more modern technology in the house.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Comcast Hi-Speed cable. No complaints, and you get a discount if you have Comcast Cable TV (which we do).

Charter High-Speed cable. We've probably had it for about three years now. For the first year or so it was down a lot while they were "upgrading the network" in our area, but since then it has been reliable and relatively trouble free.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Dang cable in our area went thru the roof so I got a dish on the house and removed the cable two years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Dang cable in our area went thru the roof so I got a dish on the house and removed the cable two years ago....
    So? I have DirecTV for TV, cable for Internet...

I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but I have SBC DSL service. I'm kinda in a fringe area, but I still get 1.3Mb down an a couple hundred K up. And right now it's very attractively priced at $19.99/month.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but I have SBC DSL service. I'm kinda in a fringe area, but I still get 1.3Mb down an a couple hundred K up. And right now it's very attractively priced at $19.99/month.
    Not from me!! We have SBC DSL here at my world headquarters and it has worked great!

BTW. looks like the $19.95 deal requires you to have a certain level of service with SBC, which I don’t have/want but it’s still cheaper than the cable modem option in my area. ($26.95/month)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Verizon DSL
    Not available in my area...

Keep them coming!

We have SBC DSL, but my mom works for AISD and gets a discount from SBC on whatever services we use. It was down here and there for the first couple months we've had it, but I think that was mostly due to my computer. I haven't had anything to complain about the service/speed, I'm getting the same connection as Dave04. We'll see how fast it is when we have 7 computers hooked up to the network after Christmas though
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I'm the weirdo.... I've got a high speed wireless signal beamed to a little antannea on my chimney from outbackwireless.com

I'm WAY out in BFE and didn't have any other options at the time... Cost $10> DSL

Runs a pretty consistent 1-1.5MBps down, and a whoping 1Mbps upload. not too bad...

sbcdsl w/ our wireless network
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Yeah, you guys are lucky...I live so far out, nothing is available except dial-up, and it is verrrrrrry slow...
    I hear Verizon is making it's way in this direction, beginning in Keller. I live about 8 miles due west of Keller/Wautaga.

Phil O. (fingers crossed!)
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I'm the weirdo.... I've got a high speed wireless signal beamed to a little antannea on my chimney from outbackwireless.com

I'm WAY out in BFE and didn't have any other options at the time... Cost $10> DSL

Runs a pretty consistent 1-1.5MBps down, and a whoping 1Mbps upload. not too bad...
    I, too, am in BFE (maybe we're neighbors) and am still looking for the hi-speed connection. Maybe this 'outback' thing is the answer.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA

I, too, am in BFE (maybe we're neighbors) and am still looking for the hi-speed connection. Maybe this 'outback' thing is the answer.
    joe.Miata Can you give us a linkie to outback??? Is it tied to some other service (dish TV or such)?

I am in no way affiliated with outback nor will I receive any material reward from this post.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething

joe.Miata Can you give us a linkie to outback??? Is it tied to some other service (dish TV or such)?

I am in no way affiliated with outback nor will I receive any material reward from this post.
    So I'm thinking if you type www.outbackwireless.com you may get something! :P

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A guy here at work lives in Crowley and just hooked-up with -
    http://www.dot11net.com/

He also said to check out -
    http://www.txwifi.com/

Well I went ahead and ordered SBC DSL for home! I appreciate everyone’s input!

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    Yeah, you guys are lucky...I live so far out, nothing is available except dial-up, and it is verrrrrrry slow...
    I hear Verizon is making it's way in this direction, beginning in Keller. I live about 8 miles due west of Keller/Wautaga.

Phil O. (fingers crossed!)
    Verizon is putting in it's FIOS system starting in Keller.. It's all fiber and rediculously fast.. (I should know... we designed all the hardware )

but you're over in Haslet, I'd bet you can catch the same signal I can.

My friend has it at his shop at 287 and 4029, just outside of that circle on the map.

I'm so frustrated with Comcast right now I can't even see straight.

Go online.
    Request assistance.
    Get a boilerplate email saying "These are the ways you can fix your problem"
    Wait a few days to see if the problem goes away.
    Go back online.
    Get boilerplate with a way to contact them "directly".
    Go online to chat with an agent.
    Get disconnected 3 times. Duh, bad service.
    Bozos make an appointment.
    Bozos call my cell during the scheduled time.
    Cellphone service doesn't put the call thru.
    Bozos cancel the service call because I didn't answer.
    Get back to online chat. Get disconnected twice.
    Call voice line to reschedule.
    Service tech says it was a loose connection outside. I call BS.
    Service tech says he'll put it in for a line check from the line staff.
    Service ticket gets CLOSED instead of forwarded.
    Bozos will return on Monday to give me more BS.

For those of you with network experience, I have a 35% "request time out" rate when I ping their first switch. Yup, more than a third of my net commands are going in the toilet. Try downloading streaming video with a 35% packet loss.

Reboot the modem to get a fresh IP, and the modem searches and reboots half a dozen times before it finds a connection "good enough" for a 35% failure rate.

Comcast service sucks.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Sweet I got the SBC-DSL working tonight! It's Fast! I'm Happy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast