Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New miata enthusiast here

Suspension Modder

Default New miata enthusiast here

Hi, wanted to introduce myself. I bought a 96 miata a couple of months ago that I'm turning into a dedicated track car. I plan to build it out to SCCA spec miata standards, although I'm not sure yet if I will actually go spec racing. But I do enjoy doing track days and have been driving at TWS, MSR Cresson, and Eagles Canyon for a couple of years in my 911. I've now retired the 911 to street only and am enjoying tracking the miata. It's been a blast so far although it's been a learning experience given that it has less than half the horsepower of what I used to track. But it has been good to learn to drive a momentum car, and it is a rewarding feeling when you are crowding the bumper of cars with more than twice your power in the turns! I wish I'd found out how much fun miatas were a couple of years ago!

I'd like to meet some of the other folks on here that either run spec miata or just do track days. And I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of newbie miata questions as I continue to build out this car!

- Greg

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard!

Welcome
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome, and here is a couple of Miata only track day links.

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=13180

http://hallett.arkansasmiataclub.com/

There will be a Miatas@Hallett in Sept. 2009.

Even in the Miata only events, it doesn't mean that you will not have to deal with other cars having twice your horsepower.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Welcome to the board, Greg!

There are several track enthusiasts on this board, including somel local instructors and Spec Miata owners.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Welcome to the miata world!
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Welcome..........I gather by your ID you had a TR6 at one time, those were sharpe looking cars. Never owned one but used to enjoy hunting them in my Datsun 2000 roadster since the MGBs and Fiats couldn't hang with me on the straights.

Suspension Modder

I actually still own a TR6! It is a low mileage survivor that I've had a long time. Great car. Slower than a miata by a good margin though.

My dad had a Datsun 2000 when I was a kid. I love those cars.
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata

Welcome aboard!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Welcome to the most dependable sports car you'll ever own!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Blog Entries

And the worlds greatest bunch of guys to help you keep in running. By the way....how big is your garage and how many tools do you have?
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Suspension Modder

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I look forward to meeting many of you in person.

My garage isn't big enough. In fact, I already don't have enough room. I've got a Porsche 911 RS America, a BMW Z3 M Coupe, the TR6, and the newest addition, the miata. Right now, the miata and the TR6 are in the garage and the BMW and 911 are outside. My plan is to move the miata out to a garage at the track as soon as I get a few more things sorted on it. I've been building it out into a dedicated track car for the last couple of months but it's been taking longer than I expected.

I have a decent tool collection, but it seems that the one tool I need is always the one I don't yet own!
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata

Quote Originally Posted by TR6 View Post
    I've got a Porsche 911 RS America...
    Nice.

Welcome aboard.

Wow! A newbie that really understands a "momentum" car! It has always been so much fun to sit off the rear bumper of a Corvette, M3, or 911 in the twisties. I'm sure you've heard the saying at PCA events the "God didn't put that Miata on your butt, so let him go by......." With the SM suspension set up properly, You will be amazed at how fast they can really be. Welcome aboard!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Nice!

Welcome to the madness!

I'm looking forward to some track time with you at Eagles Canyon. I need to get out there and take advantage of my membership and of someone that knows the track. I haven't been on it since they laid down the base asphalt and were letting folks test it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

SCCA will be racing at Eagles Canyon very soon. That's why they are having the rock party........ I hope to be there!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Welcome!
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Wow! A newbie that really understands a "momentum" car! It has always been so much fun to sit off the rear bumper of a Corvette, M3, or 911 in the twisties. I'm sure you've heard the saying at PCA events the "God didn't put that Miata on your butt, so let him go by......." With the SM suspension set up properly, You will be amazed at how fast they can really be. Welcome aboard!
    Yeah, I got a big thrill at the PCA DE at TWS in December when I passed a couple of Boxsters, etc. In a miata, it really is rewarding to (finally) get a passing signal from some higher powered cars! I also have had more than one situation in my 911 where I gave a pass to a miata because it was clear that the guy was a better/faster driver.
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    SCCA will be racing at Eagles Canyon very soon. That's why they are having the rock party........ I hope to be there!
    I'm not running SCCA, but I may come help with that since it benefits all of us running at ECR. Plus, it is always good to get a good thorough track walk and see the run offs up close and personal!
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast