Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocks & mount options....

Question Shocks & mount options....

Getting ready to replace the shocks and front mounts. Is there any upgrade shock mounts for the front? I have the FM rear mounts already.

Also, I have the AGX with GC and love it but would entertain a different shock to replace them with; worn this set out just about. Anyone around town have Koni with GC for comparison?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Anyone?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've run both AGX's and Koni's on stock springs and was much more impressed with the Koni's in the autocross world.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/index.htm
    They make Upper Shock mounts amongst other stuff. Calling Shaik and talking to him will be a good use of your time, he's pretty knowledgeable (not just a salesman/theowner).

He'll probably recommend a set of Bilsteins.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

For shocks, I'm with sammm: Konis all the way. Had them on three cars, and they performed flawlessly.
    If I'm not mistaken (also read as if my hereditary Alzheimers hasn't kicked in too badly), Black Roadster has GCs over Konis.

For upper front mounts, I'd say NB tops, as that's essentially what FCM sells...albeit with some tweaks here & there.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    For upper front mounts, I'd say NB tops, as that's essentially what FCM sells...albeit with some tweaks here & there.
    I thought the big difference between NA and NB was in the rear mounts... but perhaps that's my early-onset "Semiheimers"...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I thought the big difference between NA and NB was in the rear mounts... but perhaps that's my early-onset "Semiheimers"...
    All 4 corners, there is just more to gain by changing the rears.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I will add to the confusion by pointing out that the NB top mounts add shock travel but lower the car at the same time. Combining the NB top mounts with lowering springs can put you too low. I am not sure if the GCs can adjust enough to compensate. It would probably depend on how high or low you want to end up at. With that said, it would make little sense to swap out the FM rear mounts for NB mounts, as the NB mounts add shock travel like the NB mounts but don't affect ride height.

FCM offered to sell me his modified NB tops along with spacers to compensate for the ride height difference that would have put me on the ground when combined with my FM springs. I passed.

Now with all that said, if I was the OP and was already prepared to spend the cash, I would do one of 2 things:

A) Sell the GCs, KYBs, and FM mounts, and buy a complete solution such as Teins.

or

B) Talk to FCM and get his NB front mounts, FCM front* bump stops, and add the shock of your choice.

*FCM will likely try to sell you his rear bump stops too, but the ones that came with your FM rear mounts are very similar to the FCMs so I don't think it is worth spending the money to swap.

Yea, the FCM mounts do have a nice drop. I am on stock springs and on the highest perches on the KONI Yellows, and the front had a significant drop.

Chris

I have Bilsteins on FM springs with NB tops, and it is quite low.

Ride and handling are good, but I would like to try this set up with Koni's.

Damn, I don't know what I wanna do now! Love the AGX shocks but have worn out 2 sets over the past 6 yrs; lots of miles and track time. If I didn't already have the FM rear mounts and GC I would be going for the Tiens. Just not prepared to spend that much money atm; I'm also replacing an inner tie rod and the last of my wheel bearings to be replaced just started making noise and its the not so cheap front hub. I can get factory replacement front shock mounts and front hub at cost through the local parts places at work. I can get a set of the AGX shocks shipped for about $370.

So consenus is the Koni's are better than the AGX, but is that with GC. The GC has a lot of adjustment for ride height, and the springs are twice as aggressive as the FM springs. Think I have about 3in clearance from the rocker to the pavement and am about in the middle of the coilover threads.

Definitely gonna check out what Fat Cat has to offer, thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    If I didn't already have the FM rear mounts and GC I would be going for the Tiens. Just not prepared to spend that much money
    Hmmm... selling the FM mounts ($150) and GC springs ($250) and buying Tein Flex ($1450) has a net cost of $1050. Adding Konis ($532)and FCM NB front mounts and bumps ($140) to what you have would have a net cost of $672. You are not that far off from the Teins.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Hmmm... selling the FM mounts ($150) and GC springs ($250) and buying Tein Flex ($1450) has a net cost of $1050. Adding Konis ($532)and FCM NB front mounts and bumps ($140) to what you have would have a net cost of $672. You are not that far off from the Teins.
    Hmmm...I'm thinking OE front shock mounts for about $45 each, a new set of AGX for about $370 for a total less than $500. Where you looking for the Koni's? From what I saw, quick search, they're around $600-700 for all 4!

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Hmmm...I'm thinking OE front shock mounts for about $45 each, a new set of AGX for about $370 for a total less than $500. Where you looking for the Koni's? From what I saw, quick search, they're around $600-700 for all 4!
    Koni sports, 133 each from Track Dog Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I have Bilsteins on FM springs with NB tops, and it is quite low.
    I have the same setup and it IS low!
    '92

Blog Entries

How much difference between the NA and NB front tophats? I am thinking of going to Bilstein HDs and FM springs but I have had all the tire rubbing I can stand. I think I will stick with the NA mounts if they don't put me up in the air too much.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

DO NOT GET THE FM SPRINGS!!!

I went through 2 complete sets in about 15 months before FM offered a refund and discount towards the GC kit on my NA. After a few months the springs "settled in" lowering the car about an inch lower than supposed to, making it rest on the bump stops. They have since switched manufaturers but I still wouldn't buy them.

Have a set of the FM springs with AGX on the 99 car also and it rides like shit and is too low. Had to remove the front fender liners for the 15x8 wheels that were on it to not rub. Looks great though so who needs performance and driveability!

All of the other parts I've bought from FM (and that's a lot too!) are top notch but their regular springs are horrible IMO. Especially with so many better options for great prices.

FM did have issues with there spring winder.
    The latest generation springs don't lower as much.
    I have heard no such complaints on the new ones and is why I have a set on my LE.

1st gen good, 2nd gen bad, 3rd gen good.
    I also understand Bill will exchange for new ones now. IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    FM did have issues with there spring winder.
    The latest generation springs don't lower as much.
    I have heard no such complaints on the new ones and is why I have a set on my LE.

1st gen good, 2nd gen bad, 3rd gen good.
    I also understand Bill will exchange for new ones now. IIRC
    I knew they had the problem with the NA springs that I had, but didn't know the same was for the NB springs. My racing buddy got the FM springs/AGX for the 99 soon to be track toy second hand. I'm gonna assume they are the older defective FM springs cause it is too low (and I like it low so that's really low then!) and it rides like crap.

I still wouldn't recommend them. By the time you buy the FM springs and a set of AGX or Koni's your not too far off from getting the Tien Flex or something similar that is far superior. The only reason I didn't go that setup was I was starting school, just got the car and started off with just the shocks since they were pretty much shot when I got the car.

For DIY NB mounts just like Fatcat parts, but a a much lower cost, see this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2343497

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast