Thread: I took the plunge!!

Default I took the plunge!!

OK, I'm a newbie to AutoX, having run two events last fall, but I plan on running at least 2 a month this season. I ran my Yaris last fall, but I decided that I needed a car specifically for racing, and I didn't want to put that kind of wear on my brand new daily driver, so I have purchased a 92 Miata!! I'm excited to learn about this car, how to tweak it and get faster on the course. If anyone is in the Cedar Hill/DeSoto area and likes to wrench, let me know!
    Mike

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I'm sure not in Cedar Hill/DeSoto area but I do like to work on my cars.

First thing is to do all the normal maintenance that the car should have done; oil change, oil and air filters change, plugs, belts, transmission and differential fluids, brake fluid change, etc. Make sure the battery is secure.

Second, get a good alignment. Forum member Bam! works at the NTB in Grapevine, it will be well worth the trip to get him to do the alignment. He does outstanding work.

Third, get all the seat time you can.

Don't be bashful (or thin skinned) and ask questions, at the events and here on the forum.

Good luck, glad to have you here.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Blog Entries

Anything major you need to do about your car such as shocks, clutch, sway bars, etc. buy the parts and some pizza and invite everybody over. You will be surprised at the support you will get from the guys on the board. BTW if you decide to buy parts for the car you will need to decide which class you want to run in and make sure they are legal for that class. Don't be afraid to ask, there are guys that run their cars in every class you can run a Miata in on here. Just run it like it is (except maybe tires) in the Novice class and go from there. I ran Novice last year and had a great time running it like it was. I did spend a lot of money this winter getting it ready for next season though.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Welcome! I caught the bug in the Spring of 2007 and don't ever expect to get well

Ask lots of questions, there are lots of answers here......some good, some bad LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    OK, I'm a newbie to AutoX, having run two events last fall, but I plan on running at least 2 a month this season. I ran my Yaris last fall, but I decided that I needed a car specifically for racing, and I didn't want to put that kind of wear on my brand new daily driver, so I have purchased a 92 Miata!! I'm excited to learn about this car, how to tweak it and get faster on the course. If anyone is in the Cedar Hill/DeSoto area and likes to wrench, let me know!
    Mike
    Congrats on the Car!!

I think a '92 is an outstanding car to start to get serious with!!

Loved my '91. Hated to part with my '94 last year.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Thanks to all! I think this is going to be a great car for me. I did want to clarify if the Novice tag still allows all of the typical equipment for the respective class (E-stock, Novice pax), before I buy my DOT r-comps. I figured out right away last year that they are well worth the investment. Someone suggested that they might not be allowed in Novice, but I didn't see that in the rules for the non-Tire classes.

Are you sure that you want to go to R-comps so quickly? I stayed in Tire class for two years in order to learn how to drive, first. That way, I did not use up $850/set tires to learn what I could instead learn on $370/set tires. Plus, with street tires (Azennis), you cannot make up sloppy driving as easily as you can on R-comps, so you end up with more precision.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks to all! I think this is going to be a great car for me. I did want to clarify if the Novice tag still allows all of the typical equipment for the respective class (E-stock, Novice pax), before I buy my DOT r-comps. I figured out right away last year that they are well worth the investment. Someone suggested that they might not be allowed in Novice, but I didn't see that in the rules for the non-Tire classes.
    I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone run R's in Novice class, or how that would work. Typically Novice=Street Tire. I agree with JRJ....get some Azenis for starters.

Yeah that is true you can't run R-comps in Novice. I would just run E-stock...Especially if you want to jump in head first. I know not running Novice sure made me fast quick when I first started...I just didn't get any wins for awhile.
    Stuart F. Maxcy
    STR 82
    NC Miata

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone run R's in Novice class, or how that would work. Typically Novice=Street Tire. I agree with JRJ....get some Azenis for starters.
    +2. It is wayyyyy easier to learn how to drive a proper line on street tires because they will give lots of feedback. The best tires to use when starting out are the ones already on your car. Plus it is great fun trophying in Novice on 500 treadwear junk tires. Save your money.

Thanks. I think I found a good deal on some used Aziens, so that seems like the plan.