Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *^$)#%$@&*#$* Day

Default *^$)#%$@&*#$* Day

Another round of layoffs.

Sometimes being in IT sucks. I knew yesterday that two of my friends/co-workers were getting canned today and could not say anything to them.

The only thing worse than that is having to do the deed yourself.

Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Another round of layoffs.

Sometimes being in IT sucks. I knew yesterday that two of my friends/co-workers were getting canned today and could not say anything to them.
    Yeah, it sucks! Big time. I got let go on Monday. 10 plus years with the same company, promotions, top awards. Now back to interviewing!! I have not done that in over 10 years!!

Thanks, I appreciate the support.

For those people who have never had to do this. Imagine having to spend a whole day with a good friend you know is about to die only you are forbidden from giving any indication its going to happen. And they have no idea. Then try to look them in the eye after they find out you knew all along it was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Yeah, it sucks! Big time. I got let go on Monday. 10 plus years with the same company, promotions, top awards. Now back to interviewing!! I have not done that in over 10 years!!
    Sorry to hear that, Alan. That's two people I know personally that were laid off this week.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. It sucks being out of work in this economy. Good luck on the job hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    The only thing worse than that is having to do the deed yourself.

Hang in there!

Yep, I had to let go of a VERY GOOD employee yesterday. VERY hard to do when they are a good employee and also a friend with a family.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Man that sucks. I had to play dumb with a friend of mine a while back... lunch that day was very tense. We all tried to yuk it up, but we knew what was coming.

Having said that... getting let go sucks too - been there, done that. Good luck with your job hunt!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I heard it on NPR today that the unemployment rate may hit 20% if the Fed can not get the act together and fast enough!
    Gabriel

I had to go through that a couple of weeks ago. A friend/co-worker got let go and I couldn't say anything to him. To make it even worse they new he didn't have a car, because he shared a car with his wife who decided to divorce him 2 days prior, and had to get a taxi to come in just to fire him and then make him pay for a taxi to go back home.
    Blah blah blah!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

These are scary times we're living in. Hope everyone keeps their jobs. I've been layed off, worked for a company that filed bankruptcy (after 6 weeks without a paycheck) and another that relocated their offices. Never any fun.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I have been laid off also. The company I worked for was absorbed into another company and 2000 of 2200 of us lost our jobs.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Default I've also joined the stay at home crowd

I was part of the last round of cuts at Sabre after Thanksgiving last year after 20 years!

And, Yes, I am looking, too.

Sorry to hear that, Gabby.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

This week sucked. Thank God it's over.

Monday I got an email that I had a 1:1 with the boss on Tuesday. My BDM (Business Development Manager) I'm teamed with got one as did another teammate. The rest of the team did not. While waiting a set of emails went out Tuesday morning for all hands meetings. FOUR sets of them covering different cities around the US and India. Not good.

I stayed. My BDM did not. My other team mate and I got new assignments and mine ended up being a plum one, but I'm still sad for my BDM and other friends that got hit. 1000 folks. 1000 more coming but it's through the other parts of the company now that our side is done.

This sucks. I'm handy with editing resumes if you guys (cone-cerned, smartmx5, & wrx74 ) need a hand.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Sorry to here of the bad luck going around. I guess I need to quit complaining about missing some car events..........I least I have a job.

I hear you guy and gals.

My dad, construction/contractor, has been pretty much out of a job for 4 months. He's had a couple small renovation/fix up projects here and there but nothing steady.

My stepmom has been out of a job for almost 8 months. She is a CPA that was working as the director of finance for a major hospital group in NJ. I remember I spoke to her on a Tuesday and she mentined how there is a lot of work and some new projects starting up. Then my dad called me on Friday to ask a computer question and after speaking with him, he put my stepmom on the phone. She told me they let her go during a friendly lunch meeting with her boss and his supervisor. Her boss got let go the following week.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

More to my story, that lay off from the oil company was in 1986. I was vested in the retirement plan, that came in handy when I turned 60. Within two months, I got a job teaching math and science in a small school district in Texas. In 2006, I retired from teaching. Now, I do a little light housework, cook, keep grandkids and play with my cars. Not a bad life. Well, so long a the wife keeps working.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I haven't been laid off but I deliver pizza...so it's a bit different.

I interviewed where Mr. Jan works (was contractor there before) but who knows what will come of that.
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

When I was in IT doing contract work, I seemed to be looking for a new job every 6 months. It's part of the reason I got out of IT and went back to school.

I have a job at FedEx as long as I don't do anything stupid. FedEx Express operations have never had a layoff in their history. Let's hope the trend continues.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast