Thread: Galaxy Cruise Update

Default Galaxy Cruise Update

As I had mentioned in a previous thread, I'm organizing a cruise to Galaxy Drive-in Theater with DFW Mazdas and would like to futher extend the invitation MME. I have a new route that's only 60 miles instead of the original 120 since the starting location is much closer to the roads than the previous that way we don't have to deal with much highway driving.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=SE+Green+Oaks+Blvd&daddr =FM-157+to:FM-875+to:32.415472,-96.887913+to:Brown+St%2FFM-813+to:Brown+St%2FFM-813+to:FM-813+to:Farm-To-Market+Rd+813%2FFM-813%2FW+Jefferson+St+to:I-45+S&geocode=FblT8gEdc9M2-g%3BFYgh8AEdlCI2-g%3BFd6V7gEd4Pc3-g%3B%3BFa-u7gEdGa46-g%3BFQsB7wEd-fI6-g%3BFehm7wEdm2E7-g%3BFWDX7gEdmOA8-g%3BFVIV7gEdlEQ9-g&hl=en&gl=us&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=13&via=1,2, 3,4,5,6,7&sll=32.407647,-96.888599&sspn=0.106956,0.154495&ie=UTF8&ll=32.490 072,-96.834183&spn=0.42743,0.617981&z=11

I plan on going out and trying it tomorrow to make it official but so far it seems to fit the criteria nicely.

On the day of the cruise; We'll meet at Sonic Drive-In on Green Oaks off Hwy-360 in arlington (shown in map) around 4:30 pm to leave around 5. Estimating the cruise to be an hour and a half if not less, places us at galaxy before 7 for the movie at 8. Reason for this is to ensure everyone's safety and enjoyment of being able to attack the roads with plenty of daylight. We arrive on time to get good spots, place some mini golf and hang out.

These times are subject to change once I've done the route myself and have everything figured out.

As for the date, it's still TBA since I have no idea of what movies are out and if this nice weather is here to stay. However I can ensure you it's likely to happen with in the next 2-3 weeks (14, 21 or 28 ). Most likely one of the later 2, these are Saturdays.

So now everyone has a better idea of whats going to happen and what possible dates. Once I have everything sorted out I'll post everything with the official date in the Events and Drives section.

-Will
    Last edited by Mr626; 03-06-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    '99 Brilliant Black MX-5
    Tien S-Techs, Torsen, Mazdaspeed Short Throw Shifter, Deleted cat, 01 exhaust manifold (cat delete), custom short ram, JR Plug Wires, Autopower Rollbar, 01+ bumper and smoked headlights with 6000K HID, tinted tails and corners, Enkei RSF-2 16x7 for daily and stock 14" for the track.

I am down like a Charlie Brown! But myself and others on here will be at Laguna Seca on the 21st so the 28th is probably the best. I think an hour and a half is the sweet spot for the drive in my opinion, others may disagree but I think an hour would be too short.

John O.
    94R

The wife I will be gone for spring break so the 28th is good for us.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Alright, I believe the 28th will end up working out nicely. Thanks for pointing that out. as for how long it will take I really think and hour is at most since its just 60 miles but I'll have a better idea once I run it.
    '99 Brilliant Black MX-5
    Tien S-Techs, Torsen, Mazdaspeed Short Throw Shifter, Deleted cat, 01 exhaust manifold (cat delete), custom short ram, JR Plug Wires, Autopower Rollbar, 01+ bumper and smoked headlights with 6000K HID, tinted tails and corners, Enkei RSF-2 16x7 for daily and stock 14" for the track.

Went on the cruise today, VERY VERY nice. 813 is a great section with a long open country stretch with a few hills, the twisty roads with elevation changes. Some spots the tarmac is a little rough, not harsh, but rough enough to break traction if you go in too fast. Low to no traffic, roads in good/great condition, not too long not too short and very low populated areas. It took me about 1hr 10mins from the start in arlington to the galaxy entrance. I kept a reasonable pace at moderate speeds nothing outrageous. I actually got stuck behind a few cars a couple of times.

I really look forward to the actual cruise since I enjoyed it so much I took the same route back instead of I-45/75 and I'm going on it tomorrow as well with a few other DFWmazdas members to catch a flick at Galaxy instead of our usual Saturday meet.

I'll make the post with the final schedule and info tomorrow.
    '99 Brilliant Black MX-5

too bad this is looking to be a saturday thing

yea sorry about that. Reason is a lot more people actually work too late on Friday to make it or have to get up for work the next day. Gong on a Sunday although no one works, everyone has to get up the next morning and considering the movies end at midnight, it just isnt fun that way.
    '99 Brilliant Black MX-5

Well, this sounds like a good time! Count me in.

...and I haven't been to a drive-in theatre since, uh...since 'Grease' was playing at 75 & Forest, whatever that place was called.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    ...and I haven't been to a drive-in theatre since, uh...since 'Grease' was playing at 75 & Forest, whatever that place was called.
    That would have been the Astro drive in!
    '92

Quote Originally Posted by farphle View Post
    That would have been the Astro drive in!
    Negative!

This would be the "Gemini Twin".

info.....http://cinematreasures.org/theater/22040/

Post this on the rice killer forum and the 120 mile trip will take about 1 hour.

A 60 mile trip should only take about 20 minutes.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Negative!

Doh! I stand corrected!
    '92

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Negative!

What was the old drive-in in Ft. Worth, near 35W and 820? Southside Twin?

Something else going on in the same vicinity as Galaxy is the Bristol Opry. Every 4th Saturday night, in Bristol (about ten miles east of Palmer) in an old schoolhouse that dates back to the FDR public works programs, they have a real old fashioned toe tappin' opry where you can listen to the likes of "Rocky Top" and "Foggy Mountain Breakdown". The talent of the various groups runs the gamut from "really good" to "my shower singing is better than that".

This would be a fun thing to do sometime, plus there are some other local attractions and activities for those who might be interested.

Oh yeah, for you TCB'ers...it's all free.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    What was the old drive-in in Ft. Worth, near 35W and 820? Southside Twin?
    South Side Drive In
    http://cinematreasures.org/theater/18372/

Fort Worth Twin Drive In
    http://cinematreasures.org/theater/9974/

Meadowbrook Drive In
    http://cinematreasures.org/theater/12507/