Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apex @ MSR - Saturday, March 21st

Default Apex @ MSR - Saturday, March 21st

APEX DRIVING ACADEMY INVITES YOU TO JOIN US AT MOTORSPORT RANCH ON MARCH 21ST.

NEW ADVANCED STUDENT PRICE OF $175!

IF YOU HAVE TRACK OR AUTOCROSS EXPERINCE PLEASE CALL FOR GROUP PLACMENT!!

DALLAS – 28 February, 2009– Apex Driving Academy would like to invite you to come out to our March 21st 1.7 CCW (Novice sold out) event. These events will be our standard Bring Your Own Car (BYOC) event. You can find BYOC curriculum on our website www.apexdrivingacademy.com.
    You must bring or rent ($10) a helmet. Driving suits are not required. This is open to any car. There is a Tech inspection sheet on our website. You must have a Tech inspection filled out prior to the event. Good brakes and tires are a must.

This is a High Performance Driving Event and School. We will focus on classroom and on track drills. This is not a timed event or an open track day. All safety rules will be covered in the first classroom session which starts promptly at 8:30am. You will need to sign in at 8:15am. You will need to bring drinks, snacks, and sunscreen. You will get dehydrated even if the temps are not that high!

If you are a novice you will have an instructor in the car with you 100% of the time.

Intermediate and Advanced students also get instruction. If you are soloed with Apex and still want an instructor that is no problem. We even give our advanced students "tune-up" instructors and the benefit of data logging. Data logging review can be a humbling process but you will advance faster. We had one student drop two full seconds after the data log review last Saturday. She was very happy!!

Hope to see you at the track soon!

About Apex Driving Academy
    Apex Driving Academy is a high performance driving school located at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, Texas. Instruction focuses on increasing driving ability while maximizing safety. Additional information about Apex Driving Academy is available at www.apexdrivingacademy.com or by contacting GeorgTaht at (469) 236-0940.

See you at the track!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So... anyone here going to this event?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver

I'll be S2k err... NTAXS autocrossing

Novice sold out.

Per my PM, I will be instructing at TWS with TDE. I will catch up with you later, though.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Per my PM, I will be instructing at TWS with TDE. I will catch up with you later, though.
    Alan
    No prob, Alan. Have fun at TWS!
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Novice sold out.
    Are you sure? Registration is kinda wonky? I'd email them to verify that. Just a thought though.

Should be lots of fun...

Well I signed up on wait list yesterday. Guess I should email or call em Monday to verify. A Hallett, and two Eagle's Canyons since September wouldn't be enough experience to get into intermediate @ MSR would it?

I was hoping to get some MSR time in before the TDR event in May.

Just got off the phone. I'm registered. Woohoo!

What group are you in?

Typically the Intermediate group is going to be a judgement call. With only three track weekends under your belt I'd probably suggest that you start in Novice, but let your instructor know you're interested in graduating to the Intermediate group, and he'll help you work on the skills you need to comfortably move up.
    Iain

I told him I had 3 events since Sept. and was on street tires and he said I should be fine in Intermediate. He said I would have an instructor anyway so I said cool. I wanted to be in Novice but it was full. Maybe there will be some last minute no-shows.

You will be just fine in intermediate. One thing we do is try to run smaller groups so traffic is less of an issue and overtaking easier

Driver

I was in intermediate with Apex after one event -- and this was a month after I got my car and I was even worse a driver than I am now!

got to take the wife to a wedding, so I'll miss this one but be at the April 4 event
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

One last bump before the event! Novice and Intermediate groups are sold out... but I've got a special deal for Advanced students out there!

IF YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED, SOLO-APPROVED DRIVER AND YOU'RE ON THE FENCE ABOUT THIS EVENT, NOW IS THE TIME TO SIGN UP! APEX IS OFFERING SPECIAL DISCOUNT PRICING ON THE FEW REMAINING ADVANCED GROUP SPOTS. CONTACT ME VIA PM IF INTERESTED.

See you at the track!
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    One last bump before the event! Novice and Intermediate groups are sold out... but I've got a special deal for Advanced students out there!

IF YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED, SOLO-APPROVED DRIVER AND YOU'RE ON THE FENCE ABOUT THIS EVENT, NOW IS THE TIME TO SIGN UP! APEX IS OFFERING SPECIAL DISCOUNT PRICING ON THE FEW REMAINING ADVANCED GROUP SPOTS. CONTACT ME VIA PM IF INTERESTED.

See you at the track!

I got the same email that Iain received. Please take advantage of this deal if you even think you have the time. The weather will be great and therefore one of the best days you could have on the track!!!!

Wow! What a day! My first time at MSR and worth every penny!

Very nice facilities. They have an air hose so no need to fumble with the cigarette lighter compressor. They have a Texaco with race gas, as well as street, right out front. They have a great grid with a roof over it so you don't get hot waiting in the sun. The one thing I didn't see was a snack bar. That and the two soda machines were Dr. Pepper products instead of Coke. No biggie though since there's plenty of options within a mile of the track.

Ran the 1.7 counter clockwise, (same as the upcoming Track Dog event in May) and the track is deceptively technical. It's surface is much smoother than Hallet's and even smoother than Eagle's Canyon Raceway (which is a newer track).

Unlike ECR, more of the turns are off camber increasing the difficulty. Plus there's a double S called Rattlesnake that would appeal to autocrossers. They have four passing zones that benefit the high horsepower cars but not nearly as long as ECR's. Also, the Ricochet and Big Bend are light braking (Ricochet is more of a lift) to settle the Miata for wide open throttle so I would describe this course as momentum meets autocross.

Apex puts on a hell of a school. We were in classroom between runs. There were six 20-minute runs so you had little time between. Unfortunately I got no pics and didn't set up video once I was approved to solo. I'll get the camera out in May for the TDR/Apex event.

I did get a chance to ride with altiain in his RX-8 and was quite impressed. Not only was he a much smoother and faster driver than I but his car had amazing grip with those new R888's he put on. Thanks again for the ride! Ken-o was there too but seemed busy on the phone with work so I hope to catch a ride with him next time.

Overall, the facility was very nice, the weather great, the staff great, the drivers friendly. Last but not least, thanks to my instructor Fernando. He was very calm and clear in his instructions. He drove my car the first two laps, at my request, to show me his line. He even had a helmet to helmet intercom which made hearing him much easier. Also the track itself has their walkie talkies tied into an FM repeater so you can dial your cars stereo to 88.9 to hear track warnings.

Apex and MSR cost a bit more than the competition but it's worth it. I can't wait till May!

ps. I posted on here a couple days ago my first sighting of a GTR on the streets. There were three of them at the track today.

Driver

Apex DOES put on a great event! And wait til you get to try Rattlesnake CW. It's completely different (I think it's easier CW).

I'll say I actually like MSR better than ECR because it is more technical with less "gogogogogogogo" straightaways.

Yep, yesterday was definitely a great day at the track. Thanks again to nails for letting me take his car around the track for a couple of laps. The more I drive mildly modified NCs, the more impressed I am with the third gen Miata platform.

With a new, more aggressive set of Carbotech pads and a new set of R888s, my car was running well until the last session, when I brought the car in due to some shifting problems. The RX-8 does not have a separate clutch reservoir, so the clutch shares the same fluid as the braking system, and I think there must have been some moisture in the clutch line. I neglected to bleed the clutch the last time I bled the brakes, which was a mistake. The car was fine on the drive home though, so I'm pretty sure that was the only problem.
    Iain

Whats the status of this event? Are there still open spots?

Couldnt PM you altain, but I am interested in snagging one of those discount advanced spots.

shoot me a pm or email tann3r(at)gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast