Thread: 08 MX5 Suspesion Question

Suspension Modder

Default 08 MX5 Suspesion Question

Long story short, I bought some Tein springs from a member on Miata.net and they aren't working for me. The rear sags horribly with any sort of load in the trunk and is tucking tire with me in it. 2 people in the car makes the rear ride off the bump stops.

Now....I've bought the ProKit and am intending to install it within the month or so but I am going to buy shocks as well.

My question is...If I purchase Koni's (knowing the car will drop another .5", which is where im at now, roughly) and it compresses the spring more than what it would with a Tokico set-up, would that mean it would overall compress less because it already has a load on it?

I know that sounds confusing.

With 350lbs in the car (2 people), with this set up, will I experience the same sag Im getting with the Teins?

I've heard Pro kit is a good match with Tokicos. I think RPMChris now has Konis but he has different springs/rate than Eibach. I can't remember what. Send him a pm on here. Miatamoto has different suspension on his NC too may wanna pm him also. I'm Pro kit on stock shocks.

Suspension Modder

I bought the springs from Miatamoto...hes got the prokit and Konis.

Chris has Hyperco I believe, and I think he probably tired of me bugging him, although so far hes been a huge help.

Im actually looking to go after the look he got the with 17x9 RPF1s. I've got a pic of it on my desktop. I know in that pic he was on MS/Koni.

That sounds right. I knew he was setting his car up like the 1G MX-5 and Hyperco sounds right.

Yep, I've got Chris's old Mazdaspeed (pro-kit) and konis. I've been told that with a passenger the car rides really low in the rear. With the soft MX-5 springs, there's not much you can do about that. I don't seem to have suspension travel problems even with a passenger on autocross courses.

Sorry that those Teins did work out. I was very happy with them when I had them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Suspension Modder

^^ It isn't your fault.

Im searching for some H&R coilovers. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

If your shopping coilovers, the tein flex are real nice and you can get a great price from Trackdog here on the board. I know you might be leery trying Tein again but the Flex is a great match (spring to shock) and if you want to go stiffer you can order heavier spring rates. Trickyrix and Zig both have them on their NA and NB respectively and Billy Blaze has them on his NC if you want to pm any of them for questions.

The Flex are my next setup due to their flexibility. If you are going to get into competitive autocross or track then maybe it wouldn't be your best choice. For me, I don't care that much about my lap times and don't autocross so I would be happy with Tein Flex.

But to be honest, right now, on the track, I'm limited more by my tires than my suspension and limited most by my lack of seat time and smoothness. The Flex make you smoother than you really are, if that makes sense.

I have the Flex in my NA also, and I love them. You may want to look online for pricing, I saw them cheaper online but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    The Flex make you smoother than you really are, if that makes sense.
    Funny you mention that because I got derided for buying Flexes as a novice driver. There wouldn't be any point in me comparing the blown mismatched suspension that was on the car before to Flex but let's just say that I was very happy with them and they probably allowed me to feel much more confident than I would have otherwise with exploring my line and learning other things.
    John O.
    94R