Thread: MSM Block question

Default MSM Block question

I might be picking up a block that came out of a MSM so I can replace my current block that has a bad piston ring (been like that for 10,000 miles). The reason I'm doing this is that this is my daily driver and I want to reduce downtime of rebuilding my engine or finding more extensive damage once pulled apart, increasing the time needed for repairs. The block out of the MSM was pulled due to a piston breaking, a small edge.

The guy that has the MSM block kept the head and is willing to sell the block to me and we are in the process of negotiation. If I get it, I would have to replace the pistons, put the head from my 99 on the MSM block and then put it in my car.

The question is, will putting the 99 head and putting the block in my car work out? Is there anything I might have to change (wiring, lines, hoses) or is it as simple as putting it all together and dropping it in? I understand its the same basic engine but looking at my 99 next to a MSM, some things are laid out differently other than the obvious missing turbo in my car.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Will
    '99 Brilliant Black MX-5
    Tien S-Techs, Torsen, Mazdaspeed Short Throw Shifter, Deleted cat, 01 exhaust manifold (cat delete), custom short ram, JR Plug Wires, Autopower Rollbar, 01+ bumper and smoked headlights with 6000K HID, tinted tails and corners, Enkei RSF-2 16x7 for daily and stock 14" for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr626 View Post
    I might be picking up a block that came out of a MSM so I can replace my current block that has a bad piston ring (been like that for 10,000 miles). The reason I'm doing this is that this is my daily driver and I want to reduce downtime of rebuilding my engine or finding more extensive damage once pulled apart, increasing the time needed for repairs. The block out of the MSM was pulled due to a piston breaking, a small edge.

The guy that has the MSM block kept the head and is willing to sell the block to me and we are in the process of negotiation. If I get it, I would have to replace the pistons, put the head from my 99 on the MSM block and then put it in my car.

The question is, will putting the 99 head and putting the block in my car work out? Is there anything I might have to change (wiring, lines, hoses) or is it as simple as putting it all together and dropping it in? I understand its the same basic engine but looking at my 99 next to a MSM, some things are laid out differently other than the obvious missing turbo in my car.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Will
    Make sure you see a nice crosshatch from honing. Wouldn't hurt to take a dial gauge to it either. As for your other questions I can't help you but I'm sure others here can. Good luck.

I would be real concerned that if a piston broke an edge(?) where all the pieces went and what the cylinder wall looks like. If you have to change all the pistons, which you say, this seems like an expensive way to go. I think you could find a 1.8 engine from a wrecked 94-00 and replace yours. Try Gary at Track Dog Racing.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

That's what the guy said "a small edge broke off". I have access to a machine shop if something needs to be repaired.

I don't believe I'd have to change all them, but I rather go ahead and do it. I know it can be expensive which is why I only offered him $200 for it. So far I haven't been able to find a 99-00 engine for less than 700. Finding another complete engine and just swapping them is my preferred option. I'll only pick this route if I can get the block for cheap and if this actually works.
    '99 Brilliant Black MX-5
    Tien S-Techs, Torsen, Mazdaspeed Short Throw Shifter, Deleted cat, 01 exhaust manifold (cat delete), custom short ram, JR Plug Wires, Autopower Rollbar, 01+ bumper and smoked headlights with 6000K HID, tinted tails and corners, Enkei RSF-2 16x7 for daily and stock 14" for the track.