Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily driver tires

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Daily driver tires

I want/need some new tires for the '99 (14" wheels). The Azeni's are great, but I only got 6K miles out of my first set (pulling double duty as daily driver and AX tires on the NA.) I've read the board, but want local experience.

I think I've narrowed my choices to the Yoko ES-100's or the Toyo T-1's.

I'm listening!

I'm quite fond of all but one aspect of the ES100s... Non-destructive belt separation that causes a high pitched whine at about 9,000 miles. They lose a lot of longitudinal grip and some turn-in grip with wear, but that's to be expected.

I'm going to give the Parada Spec II's a shot this time around, hoping that the more solid inner tread design will exhibit less shearing force on the belts. Treadwear is marginally higher per Yokohama as compared to the ES100. However, I'll expect more noise overall with the semi-solid inner tread pattern.

The T1-S's I've driven on are notably "squishy" on turn-in, and that's not something I usually notice. Please note: I've not done many miles in T1-S equipped Miatas - mostly other (heavier) cars.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I'm going to give the Parada Spec II's a shot this time.
    Just an FYI....the Parada's only come in 16"-19" sizes at this time.

I love the Yokohama's... I've had them on the VW for a long while now. Tread life is good and grip is tremendous for a street tire. However, they get a little whiney as tread wears down. When I get a set of 15" rims for the Miata, I'll be pairing them with some ES100's.

I've had three sets of the ES-100s, and other than price I haven't been overwhelmingly impressed with them. In fact, if I could ever wear a set out at the same time (I had two replaced for road hazard damage halfway through the first set, and I've worn them out in pairs ever since ), I would have tried something different. They get noisy when worn, don't offer particularly high mileage (I get ~12,000-15,000 miles out of a set with dedicated street use and no track or autox), and they suck when they're cold.

Assuming that you'll only be using these for the street, I'd probably opt for something else. I see that Tire Rack has the Sumitomo HTR 200 High-Performance Summer tires in 185/60-14 for $37 each, which ought to appeal to the Cheap Bastard in you. I've heard decent things about life, ride quality, and noise about these tires, although they aren't as sticky as a T1-S or ES-100.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Maybe you need to look at something more in you spending comfort zone like these tires!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Maybe you need to look at something more in you spending comfort zone like these tires!
    Those are right up there with the fine Guardian tires that are on it now!

I think Altiain may have something with the Sumitomos!

I also like these for the kids with the 16" wheels, anyone have a set of these??

I thought 6k a set miles was normal?!?!?

j/k

I seriously can't drive on anything less than Azenis. It drives me nuts. My cars feel so bad on all the other tires I've tried (Kumho 712, and ES 100 most recently) that I just can't take it. When I'm not beating on them, I get good wear out of the azenis. I have several thousand miles on the set that I'm on now and they're wearing very nicely. I would think you should be able to get 10k+ on a set of azenis if you weren't autoxing them all the time.

I have khumo MXs right now, I will probably go back to azenis, especially if the new ones are out before these wear out. These tires arent bad, they grip well and they havent worn out too bad. They are actually more noisy than my well worn azenis. I had a set of sumitomo tires on my eclipse back in the day. They werent too bad, but I didnt have grip and turn in on my mind then.

falken zeix, havent owned them, but thats what im buying once the es100's i have on show coard. Iian gave em too me and im still using them
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I also like these for the kids with the 16" wheels, anyone have a set of these??
    Uh...I recommended these a few weeks ago and even bought a second set recently. These tires have very good dry and wet grip and a long tread life. I only noticed that they get a little noisy towards the end. They are a good, inexpensive tire. I bought those tires from tirerack.
    they were delivered the next day!
    Also, you'll get 30-40K miles from them.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Uh...I recommended these a few weeks ago
    Opps!

FYI- I inquired about Costco mounting my new Sumitomo's. They informed that they no longer work on tires not specifically purchased at Costco. Something about too many customers.....
    I found a rednecky place in Cleburne to mount mine for $40

Concerning the HTR Z IIs, "Off Track Bob" (aka Bob Manini) with the BMW club used to use those on his M Coupe four or five years ago when I ran with them regularly. He took a couple of overall FTDs with them, so I'd say they're certainly sticky enough. Couldn't tell you anything about ride comfort, longevity, or noise though.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think Altiain and joe.MIATA may have something with the Sumitomos!
    The 14" version comes in several sizes. It looks like 195/60/14 is a special order out of Loozy-Anna. Would a 205/60/14 be OK?

Sounds a little big to me. What's wrong with the OEM 185/60-14 size?
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    What's wrong with the OEM 185/60-14 size?
    I give up. What? :P I guess I'm used to buying the Azeni's in 195/60/14's.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I didnt have grip and turn in on my mind then.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I think Altiain and joe.MIATA may have something with the Sumitomos!
    The 14" version comes in several sizes. It looks like 195/60/14 is a special order out of Loozy-Anna. Would a 205/60/14 be OK?
    :)

.....Its the Loozy-Anna warehouse that gets them here so fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast