Thread: Gm rds

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default Gm rds

I am trying to install an OEM radio in the company truck. It is not the original radio and GM has this RDS chip that sees it isn't the right radio. The dealership can reprogram it MAYBE. The trouble comes from it not being the same year model radio/vehicle. 2004 vehicle/06 or 07 radio. There will be a $100 software fee to try. Guy at the dealership says it 'should' work, but he won't guarantee it.

Anybody had any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Aftermarket radio installed will cost me at least 2X as much, and I've had several stolen from this vehicle. I'm going OEM to try to reduce the temptation.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

$100 to try is $100 too much. Contact an independent audio shop and see what they might be able to do for ya. FWIW, there used to be one in the same parking lot as Chapps on 183, don't know if he's still there or not.

They should only charge the $100 if it works.

Try these guys. They deal specifically with OEM radios. It's been a while since they did anything for me, but they should be able to help sort your radio out.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Cool

Might try giving this forum a try.

Linkie:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    $100 to try is $100 too much. Contact an independent audio shop and see what they might be able to do for ya. FWIW, there used to be one in the same parking lot as Chapps on 183, don't know if he's still there or not.
    I forgot to mention that I bought the radio from an aftermarket shop. It is installed and working.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    I forgot to mention that I bought the radio from an aftermarket shop. It is installed and working.
    So how did they get it work??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So how did they get it work??
    The reprogrammed it.

They downloaded software from GM that told the ECU the radio was OK, or at least that is what the service writer said.