Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John need tire.

Default John need tire.

I need some new tires before Laguna and was looking at the Sumitomo HTR Z and Dunlop Direzza DZ101 on tire rack both in 205/50/15 and basically the Sumi has a nice really low tread wear rating which means soft which should mean grippy, the tread design looks pretty decent on both of them, and weighing most heavily on my decision making right now, they can both be at my door quick for around $250. At that price it almost doesn't matter how long they last or if the are the best grip for the money or whatever, just so long everyone doesn't say that I shouldn't put those on a race track or they will be the death of me. So what do you think guys? Should these be okay for a race track?

I think I'm pretty much sold on one of these and it would take a pretty convincing horror story for me to change my mind, because from what I can see based on tread pattern and wear rating these should work on the track and while they may not be the best all around street tire they are just so damn cheap! Let me know what you guys think regarding the two tires I posted or any other suggestions for tires that can had before 3/18 for less than $300. I don't have an extra $200 to spend on toyos or azenis or other $500 tires right now so unless you've found a great deal, I can't get them and I need tires soon so don't tell me to save up. For my next set I will be looking for the best all around street tire and will be spending more but right now only my concern is will it be safe and competent enough for the track and can I afford it before then.
    Last edited by JuanoTejano; 03-05-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    John O.
    94R

Driver

Friend has those sumitomos and they SUCK on the track and autox. And DZ101s are really not great either...

Maybe a used set of rcompounds? http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17943

The rim size above is whack. I assume you mean R15 unless you're a hella donk on 195" tires

Driver

More from the same site in your size: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25669

So how did you fit 16 foot rims on your Miata?

I can understand the lack of $$. But on a race track where you are trusting your life to your car, Do you really think cheap tires are a good plan?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Get a set of RE-01R's at Tire Rack for cheap (if they have any left).

Driver

they only have 195/50's left in R15. $77 bucks though.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    +1!

$360 shipped to my door for a set of 4!

+1 on the RE-01R's. You need to act fast before they are gone. A good 195 is better than a crappy 205 tire.
    Last edited by Robert; 03-05-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Alright, I know when to submit to greater experience. I will spend more money if I can afford it, but since I am now spending more then I would expect more out of these Petenza's, namely I would need them to last for a year atleast, that will include probably 12-15k and possibly 3 track or auto-x days. What I am most worried about is spending the money on a nice tire and then using up 1/3 of it's life just in the drive there and back (3,400 mile round trip). If these can get me atleast 15k then I will order them tonight though. I found the Azenis in 205 for about 370 shipped but I more worried about the wear on those than the Potenza's.
    Last edited by JuanoTejano; 03-05-2009 at 05:13 PM.
    John O.
    94R

I don't think you are going to get 3 track days and 12K miles out of the Potenza but might depending on your alignment and driving style. I got 9k miles and I think 6 auto-x days at Mineral Wells out of my Potenza RE 070's on a S2000 but I was running a lot of tow and -camber. I would expect the same ware out of the RE 01R's. A Miata may get a little more. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I don't think you are going to get 3 track days and 12K miles out of the Potenza but might depending on your alignment and driving style. I got 9k miles and I think 6 auto-x days at Mineral Wells out of my Potenza RE 070's on a S2000 but I was running a lot of tow and -camber. I would expect the same ware out of the RE 01R's. A Miata may get a little more. YMMV.
    Keep in mind that he is a rookie to track and autocross. This could mean lots of overcooking, or an overly timid driving style. Additionally, a good portion of that 3,400 mile round trip will be straight line freeway cruising that should be pretty easy on wear. All bets are off when you hit the California twisties.

So what do you think though titus? Should I be able to get 15k out of these with a little track time here and there?
    John O.
    94R

Quote Originally Posted by JuanoTejano View Post
    So what do you think though titus? Should I be able to get 15k out of these with a little track time here and there?
    I got about 18k out of a set of Azenis, and that included 4 track days and 4 autocrosses. I am a fairly conservative driver on the street, but have a tendency to be overly aggressive on the track/autocross (read LOTS of spinouts). Most have not gotten as much life out of them as I have. Another item of note is that the first 2 track events and about 2/3 of the overall mileage, but only 1/3 of the overall wear, took place pre-supercharger. Tire wear increased significantly post boost.

alrighty I will go ahead and place the order then if it's completely realistic for me to expect 15k out of these tires.
    John O.
    94R

Can we place bets on the over & under?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

NO! BTW I have been waiting for like an hour to actually place my order and I saw one of the warehouses go out of stock so I had to order right then, I got my order in but damn it was close.
    John O.
    94R

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Can we place bets on the over & under?
    Yea can we?

What did you end up ordering JuanoTejano??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Yea can we?
    NO!
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    What did you end up ordering JuanoTejano??
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    +1 on the RE-01R's.
    Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post

The Potenza RE-01R in 195/50/15 for my Kosei K1-TS 15x7

Read the thread

John O.
    94R

Talking

The Potenza RE-01R in 195/50/15 for my Kosei K1-TS 15x7

Read the thread

Well you were flipping and flopping so much figured you switched yet again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast