Thread: Rotor replacement

Default Rotor replacement

Do I need a special tool to do this or is it a fairly easy off/easy on replacement? Any tips on how to make it easier (besides having someone else do it)?
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Take off the wheel. Unbolt lower caliper bolt. Flip up caliper. Slide off rotor. Slide on new rotor. Flip down caliper. Tighten bolt.
    Last edited by sammm; 04-15-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: fix it

If the rotor is stuck on, a slight tap from a rubber mallet will help loosen it. If that doesnt there is a threaded hole in the rotor, where it mounts to the hub. It is designed for you to insert a bolt that will push the rotor off of the hub.

Really should replace the pads too. They become matched to the rotor and could cause unusual wear on the new ones.

Bought the front rotors at Napa in McKinney this morning. Someone ordered the sport brake ones and never came to get them so I was extremely lucky. Ordered the rear rotors from Napa two days ago so that should be plenty of time. The rotors were lipped from using the Hawks on a daily basis.
    Placing the order for the front and rear brake pads from Trussville this evening. I want to have all new equipment since it's they have 75K on them and a track day is coming up. The Hawks pads I have on now still have enough on them to use on the track day but want to use them only for track days from now on.

If I can do it, anyone can. I did my front rotors last year. You worn out your rotors in 75K miles!? You may want to consider paint the hat of the rotor. I masked the disk and sprayed some high temp paint on the hat to keep it look nice and the rust out. I was annal and clean the disk with some paint thinner/acetone to "degrease" the new disks too.
    Gabriel

Old wisdom says... Always bed new rotors with used pads, new pads with used rotors... YMMV
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Old wisdom says... Always bed new rotors with used pads, new pads with used rotors... YMMV
    I always heard it was okay to use new pads with old rotors but if you replaced the rotor you should replace the pads too.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I was surprised as well at the lip on the rotors. Stephan thought it was the heavy daily use of the racing pads.

Did you verify you got the correct rotors many of the parts monkeys have difficulty identifying the big boy brakes on the '01+ NB's.

Been there done that and took them back.....

I got the Napa part number from the website and took it in with me so there would be no mistake. Their part number is definitely for the sport brakes as I checked the diameter on the website.

UP 880314 (rears) and UP 880315 (fronts)

46.00 each for fronts and 44.00 each for the rears