Thread: Open day at msr 5/13/09

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Default Open day at msr 5/13/09

I meet a dude with a rx7 on the highway doing some unsafe speeds and pulled over for a talk. they rented out a apex day at msr on the 13th and i'm planning on going out.

info http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ev...id=70777155341

copy and pasted info under encase you don't have a facebook.com

page says $300 but it's really $250 for anyone coming with me sense we are poor miata guys
    Last edited by jeff_man; 04-30-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Host:
    Mike Turner / Nic Logan
    Type:
    Sports - Sporting Event
    Network:
    SMU
    Date:
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009
    Time:
    7:00am - 7:00pm
    Street:
    9012 Performance Court
    City/Town:
    Cresson, TX

View Map
    Google
    MapQuest
    Microsoft
    Yahoo
    Phone:
    Description
    School's out for summer! School's out forever! whichever situation you're in, celebrate by coming to the race track, having fun, and roasting some tires!!

We have organized to rent out Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Tx. (www.motorsportranch.com) for an entire day. On May 13th the track will be available to us through APEX Driving. They have four instructors, EMS, corner workers, catering, and helmets.

IF YOU NEED A CAR TO DRIVE PLEASE LET MIKE KNOW ASAP SO THAT CAN BE ARRANGED IF POSSIBLE. APEX OFFERS CARS *POSSIBLY*

*This is NOT a free event, people intending to attend must pay to drive! The individual cost will be updated soon. All payments must be made to Mike by the day of the event. We are hoping to have between 20 and 30 people for this event.*

We are conforming to Apex's driving rules as it's at MSR's behest due to the number of people. Class time is required and personal instruction will be available. Open track sessions will only be after instruction has been completed.

UPDATE:

The schedule is yours so it is very flexible after we get a few minimum requirements down.

I would like to first do on track drills(basic building blocks) and then one to two sessions of lead follow.

Each session will have a classroom session before it.

The three assistant instructors can float in cars. Or give people rides.

We can do a full Apex school or something less classroom intensive. Our basic goals on a private day like this is saftey first and then we want everyone to have a great time. At our school we may focus more on our curriculam.

If you have over 18 folks we will split the groups into two run groups and each group could get a 25 min session an hour. In theory after drills and lead follow everyone could get about two additional hours of track time or more depending on group size.

Update:
    Obligatory statement. No refunds. I chose the early part of week because it looks to statistically least likely to be rained on when in May... or so I think. Anyways, it'll be fun, maybe even Tokyo Drift style.

CONFIRMED GUEST LIST
    -Mike T (VETTE)
    -Nic L (RX7)
    -Bret Z (VIPER)
    -Andrew B (VIPER)
    -Alex G (e36 M3)
    -David M (911)
    -Gonz M (EVO)
    -Graham T (SUPRA)
    -Austin T (WRX)
    -Naz F (M coupe)
    -

Price: $300. <--- You really are getting a killer deal. I need to make at least some money back haha.

Needless to say, this is a graduation gift to everyone and figured it would be a hell of a bang way to end another chapter in life.

I'll try and make people able to invite others so you can get others to come on in.

$300 remember. Let's get at least 20 ppl! 30 drivers MAX.
    Lunch is provided for drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Host:
    Mike Turner / Nic Logan
    Type:
    Sports - Sporting Event
    Network:
    SMU
    Date:
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009
    Time:
    7:00am - 7:00pm
    Street:
    9012 Performance Court
    City/Town:
    Cresson, TX

View Map
    Google
    MapQuest
    Microsoft
    Yahoo
    Phone:
    Description
    School's out for summer! School's out forever! whichever situation you're in, celebrate by coming to the race track, having fun, and roasting some tires!!

We have organized to rent out Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Tx. (www.motorsportranch.com) for an entire day. On May 13th the track will be available to us through APEX Driving. They have four instructors, EMS, corner workers, catering, and helmets.

IF YOU NEED A CAR TO DRIVE PLEASE LET MIKE KNOW ASAP SO THAT CAN BE ARRANGED IF POSSIBLE. APEX OFFERS CARS *POSSIBLY*

*This is NOT a free event, people intending to attend must pay to drive! The individual cost will be updated soon. All payments must be made to Mike by the day of the event. We are hoping to have between 20 and 30 people for this event.*

We are conforming to Apex's driving rules as it's at MSR's behest due to the number of people. Class time is required and personal instruction will be available. Open track sessions will only be after instruction has been completed.

UPDATE:

The schedule is yours so it is very flexible after we get a few minimum requirements down.

I would like to first do on track drills(basic building blocks) and then one to two sessions of lead follow.

Each session will have a classroom session before it.

The three assistant instructors can float in cars. Or give people rides.

We can do a full Apex school or something less classroom intensive. Our basic goals on a private day like this is saftey first and then we want everyone to have a great time. At our school we may focus more on our curriculam.

If you have over 18 folks we will split the groups into two run groups and each group could get a 25 min session an hour. In theory after drills and lead follow everyone could get about two additional hours of track time or more depending on group size.

Update:
    Obligatory statement. No refunds. I chose the early part of week because it looks to statistically least likely to be rained on when in May... or so I think. Anyways, it'll be fun, maybe even Tokyo Drift style.

CONFIRMED GUEST LIST
    -Mike T (VETTE)
    -Nic L (RX7)
    -Bret Z (VIPER)
    -Andrew B (VIPER)
    -Alex G (e36 M3)
    -David M (911)
    -Gonz M (EVO)
    -Graham T (SUPRA)
    -Austin T (WRX)
    -Naz F (M coupe)
    -

Price: $300. <--- You really are getting a killer deal. I need to make at least some money back haha.

Needless to say, this is a graduation gift to everyone and figured it would be a hell of a bang way to end another chapter in life.

I'll try and make people able to invite others so you can get others to come on in.

$300 remember. Let's get at least 20 ppl! 30 drivers MAX.
    Lunch is provided for drivers.

$250-$300 for a Wednesday event? Casual at that. What's the pay to be a corner worker?

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    $250-$300 for a Wednesday event? Casual at that. What's the pay to be a corner worker?
    apex ran it and i payed $250 and ran 140mins ( 7x20min) of open track time. was well worth it.

Chassis Designer

I guess these prices aren't far off from the Apex Driving Academy school they have out there. I went several years ago and had a lot of fun and learned a lot. IIRC, we had 4 sessions total, 30 mins each. The first session was an intro with car handling basics. Slalom, ABS/braking test, and then follow the leader, just to make sure everyone had basic control of their car. Then there were 3 30 mins sessions of hot-lapping for a total of 90 mins of open-track driving.

http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/in...ion.htm#price1

This was the BYOC event I want to, and it included some class time, and you could get an instructor to sit with you on any of the sessions. Highly instructive, great guys and gals out there.

Note that the structure they have the same above is about the same as what I did years ago. If you got the cash, it's worth it, IMHO. If you've never taken a class like that, you'll learn more there in one day than you will in a month of autocrosses. The sheer amount of seat time you get running 20 to 30 minute sessions back to back is great for reinforcing your feel for your car.

Believe apex right now is $210 for 5 20-30min runs. 1 is brake and Slalom, 1 -2 lead fallow, 2-3 open track

Chassis Designer

Believe apex right now is $210 for 5 20-30min runs. 1 is brake and Slalom, 1 -2 lead fallow, 2-3 open track
    Yeah, that's basically the formula they had years ago when I took it. I think that after the first baby step sessions they decided we were all good to go and just let us open it up for the rest of the day in alternating groups. It was a total blast.

A standard Apex BYOC event (not the same thing as a focus day or special event) is six 20 minute run sessions. For beginner students the first session is brake & slalom drills (no helmets). Second session is no passing with the instructor driving the first 2-3 laps depending on the student's experience. The other four sessions are green sessions with point-by passing on the straights.

Intermediate and Advanced students get six open sessions - no "skills & drills", no instructor driving (unless the student requests it), etc.

Prices vary from $175 in the Advanced group to $210 for Beginner and Intermediate students.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw