Thread: How big are my car's nuts?

Default How big are my car's nuts?

What size wrenches would I need to remove the EGR tube and the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold?

You can do the free tool rent deal from AutoZone for the O2 sensor, they have a specialized socket just for pulling the 02 works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    True... or usually, it's a 22mm or a 7/8.
    Yeppie, but if you want to save the wire coming out of the 02 sensor the AutoZone tool is sweet! So says the voice of experience...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    True... or usually, it's a 22mm or a 7/8.
    Yeppie, but if you want to save the wire coming out of the 02 sensor the AutoZone tool is sweet! So says the voice of experience...
    Yes... I would agree with that... I changed two o2 sensors on the Lead Sled (it has four) and did it with the 22mm open ended wrench. Not too bad... but life would have been a tad easier with the tool.

You can do the free tool rent deal from AutoZone
    What's the deposit on that? Is it a flat fee deposit or a percentage of the cost of replacement, say, if you were break a tool? I like the fact that they return your deposit, thereby being free.

You can do the free tool rent deal from AutoZone
    What's the deposit on that? Is it a flat fee deposit or a percentage of the cost of replacement, say, if you were break a tool? I like the fact that they return your deposit, thereby being free.
    If I remember correctly it was like $15.00.

Don't forget to spray the snot out of the O2 sensor in advance to bust up the rust!

They sell the tool too and I think it's less then $15.

All it is is a socket with a slot in it for the wire.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

You can do the free tool rent deal from AutoZone for the O2 sensor, they have a specialized socket just for pulling the 02 works great!
    I've got the tool, but I was unable to get the o2 sensor out. Sprayed the sensor with wd40 off and on for a couple of days. Even tried applying a little helping heat with a torch. Still won't come out.

Anyone know what size nut is on the manifold side of the EGR tube?

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    I've got the tool, but I was unable to get the o2 sensor out. Sprayed the sensor with wd40 off and on for a couple of days. Even tried applying a little helping heat with a torch. Still won't come out.
    Aren't you installing a header? Pull the manifold out of the car and see if it's willing to part from the manifold, may be easier once it's out of the car. If not go get another O2 sensor.

Aren't you installing a header?
    I have not decided yet if the header will get installed. The "rebuilt" engine that almost made it in the car this weekend is another story.

Don't you hate it you your nuts are stuck
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I guess I'll try Goldbond next.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I guess I'll try Goldbond next.
    I hear it's very refreshing!!

But back on topic, hit it with some WD-40 and then some gentle taps with a rubber mallet... that's how I got mine off the VW.