Thread: Internet Filters

Default Internet Filters

Can anyone recommend a good free or cheap internet filter for kids?

My 8 and 9 year old boys are starting to google "boobs".

I have Norton Internet Security suite which has a built-in filter but it doesn't catch everything.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

There are a number of cheap or free filters, all of which can be disabled by reasonably intelligent 9 year olds with a half-dozen mouse clicks.

The most effective filter found so far involves placing the PC in a public place within the home and setting up some locks to insure that the kids can't get on the Internet unless you're there.

Or setting up some kind of URL filtering server they have to go through to access the intardweb...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    The most effective filter found so far involves placing the PC in a public place within the home and setting up some locks to insure that the kids can't get on the Internet unless you're there.
    My friend uses this for his daughter; his wife uses it for him! The computer is in the den right next to the TV in a very nice set of matching furniture. As far as we know, it works for all. By the time the kid was old enough to be home alone, she understood the rules about the computer.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser

Yep... Just realized that one. At 8 and 9 I thought we were still safe. Initially they were googling "Trucks" and "SpongeBob" but I guess they must be hearing things at school or through friends.

I didn't think about that stuff until I was in my teens and then it was just the lingerie section in the Sears catalog.

It's scary to think they are already curious about that. Their Mom caught them giggling with a friend looking on the net, they shut the window down before she saw anything but she saw the history of what they were searching on.

The web is off limits for a week but I'm tempted to just ban them for good at this age. Theres nothing they "need" to use the web for. Might have to move their pooter into the living room.

One of the neighborhood kids (we can't stand), might have been an influence too. The boys said he had a naked woman as his wallpaper! This kid is around 8! I swear, parenting needs to be licensed! What type of parent has a naked woman as wallpaper with kids at home?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    I swear, parenting needs to be licensed!
    SSSSHHHH!!!

I don't need more Republican Moral Legislature (TM) or proposed amendments!

Although, I agree... Some parents shouldn't have kids!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Most of the cheapie routers like netgear and linksys can email you a usage log report. It is after the fact, but the knowlodge that it is logged can be a deterrant.