Thread: MSM wheel width and offset

Default MSM wheel width and offset

Hi Folks,
    I am getting ready to order a set of tires and wheels for my MSM, have not yet received the brochure regarding MSM, and do not know the width and offset of stock wheels. I am assuming they are 7 inches wide, and probably in the neighborhood of a 40mm offset. Does anyone know for sure?
    Thanks.
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

I don't know the answer. If no one else knows either it might be stamped on the wheel. Most of the time it would be stamped on the back side. Example 17x7 JJ. Where the "JJ" should indicate the offset I think. Sometimes they stamp it on the front of the wheel. But you already know all of this.

They're 17"x7", +40mm offset, 4x100mm bolt pattern, and approximately 18lbs apiece. Hope that helps.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    They're 17"x7", +40mm offset, 4x100mm bolt pattern, and approximately 18lbs apiece. Hope that helps.
    beat me to it...

What class sre you setting the car up to run in Phil?

Thanks Guys.
    Edge Racing has some good deals on Flik wheels in my size, but they weigh 17 lbs each. Looking for something lighter, but the prices go up signifigantly when you find 15lb wheels...

What do you think is the largest tire I could fit on the car? I'm guessing 225 40 or 45 17...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Well, with 215's on my car the speedo is right on the nose with what the GPS says I'm going.

225's will work, but your speedo will be slightly off and you don't want to lower the car any with those on it
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well if it is for autoX I dont think Phil cares, about the speedo. I am not sure about the MSM gearing, so I dont know if you would want to choose the smaller overall diameter.

Phil,

A quick surf through edgeracing.com didn't turn up any 17x7 wheels for less than $150 each, so I assume that's what you were looking to pay.

If you're willing to spend an extra $50 a wheel, Tire Rack offers the Kosei K-1 TS in a 17x7, 4x100mm size for only $199 a wheel. Better yet, they only weigh 14.1 lbs each, which I think is about as light as you're going to get without spending big bucks for unobtanium JDM wheels like TE-37s or CP-035s, etc.

Tires are going to be a tough choice, if you're looking at R compounds (which I assume you are, if you're worried about buying an OEM-sized replacement wheel). A3S04s, Victoracers, Advan A048s, and Avon Tech Rs all only come in a 225/45-17. The only upcoming 17" V710 size is 245/45-17. The Ecsta V700s are the only tire available in an OEM 205/40-17 size.

The one interesting oddball is the Yokohama A032R. The soft compound is available in a 235/40-17 size... which would actually be a better fit diameter-wise than a 225/45-17 (24.4" overall diameter versus 25.0" for 225/45-17 and 23.5" for OEM 205/40-17).

If I had aspirations of taking the car to Topeka, I'd probably opt for the 225/45-17 A3S04s and start learning how to make them work, since they've proven to be a better tire than the Ecsta V700s, and the V710s don't look to be coming your way in a useable size. However, if I were just buying a set of R comps for sub-National level fun, I'd probably opt for the Ecsta V700s (if I wanted a known quantity), or the 235/40-17 A032R-S compound, if I wanted to try something different.

Personally, given the dissapointing set of Ecsta V700s I had this year, I'd probably give the Yokohamas a try, just for giggles.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw