Thread: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T???

Default 2009 Audi A4 2.0T???

Looked at the Audi A4 2.0T today I liked it quite a bit!

Is there something evil about Audi's I need to know about before I bring one home??

TIA

It will fall apart in 30K miles?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Blog Entries

An ex of mine had an A6 with the 4.2 V8 and it was wicked fast on the highway. The only trouble she ever had was with the A/C which never worked to Texas standards. It's only other issue was it accumulated so many unpaid speeding tickets it was impounded.

Interesting reliability guide: http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabi...&session_code=

Last edited by creek; 05-22-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Lease it and give it back before the warranty is up.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Lease it and give it back before the warranty is up.
    +billionty
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Dang-it you kids are not filling me with confidence about this car....
    But it looks so good in Brillaint Red with Cardamom Beige interior and the optional Fine-grained ash almond beige inlays.

It also has a decent warranty!
    Audi Warranty

The philosophy behind our Audi protection program is quite simple. You drive the car, we back it for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Only those who build cars this well would dare to protect them this comprehensively, and offer such extensive service packages.
    As an owner of a new Audi 2009 model year vehicle, you will receive:

* The first scheduled maintenance service at 5,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first, free of charge
    * 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, new vehicle limited warranty
    * 12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation
    * Audi 24-hour Roadside Assistance for 4 years

Driver

The Audi dealers here are really nice. But like others have said, I wouldn't want to pay to maintain one (as with basically any upper tier car these days -- too expensive when crap breaks).

We had the Passat 2.0T from 2006-2008. I loved the engine, the driving feel, the parts that were a let down were the plastic bits used around the turbo, and horrible dealerships in this area. Worst service experiences ever.

Audi dealers are by far more responsive, even in this area. Unfortunately they do not replace all the plastic bits between VW and Audi so there is still some concern of reliability.

The issue that ended our time together - yes its a great car to drive - was when a check engine light came on, the dealer refused to look at it, and would not assist in contacting a rental car company for me to pay for the rental - it was Saturday at 5PM and rental car companies were closing to public access and had to drive back to the track the next day. I then proceeded to limp it home via a Autozone, pull the generic ODB II codes, and used vwvortex to convert them to the VW version. At that time I learned that I had 21!!!!!!!! software updates to apply to the car as it was a sensor mis-reading data that would eventually clear itself. Software updates is something I do not expect to have to continually do to a car.

Once the light reset itself 2 days later we traded it on a 4Runner. Its no where near the same driving experience, but I also don't worry about software and the constant fear of check engine lights is gone.

All that said, if I was in the market for a Audi, I would buy directly from either Stasis Engineering http://www.stasisengineering.com/carsforsale.aspx , or APR Tuning http://www.goapr.com/forsale/ simply because there is a good chance the plastic is gone, and you get much larger smiles between the service concerns.

DFW Audi in Bedford is now supplying the cars to Texas Driving Experience for use in teen schools

and they are A4s

so if you haven't gone there, try them

and I read that Audi wants to sell 100k of them this year, so they are supposedly dealing

drive nice and look nice but push when hustled

I'm thinking of one for the wife if the Camaro isn't to her liking, but a bit put off by Consumer Reports rating (not at the top of the pile and not exceptionally quiet on the highway) and by general feeling it will be expensive to own

or more expensive than a Lexus anyway
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

They DSP stability program on my VW took care of the "push when hustled" without being overly obtrusive as long as you were smooth at the controls...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    I'm thinking of one for the wife if the Camaro isn't to her liking,
    Just an FYI Bankston Chevrolet on Hwy. 26 had a yellow SS on the showroom floor yesterday the wife and I climbed all over it an came away generally unimpressed. Gotta drive one before we make a final call on but we were hoping for more.

I am beginning loosing interest in the Audi... May go over and look at it again today but then again maybe we will not.

We need to take the kid over and see if she is comfy in the back seat of the Audi. Since we like to take long road-trips we need to find something the little cutie would be comfortable in.

Driver

When we were looking for a new car for the wifey last summer, we looked at just about everything.

A4, A5, BMW 3 & 5 series, Mercedes C class, Nissan Altima & Maxima, Infiniti G35/37, Pontiac G8, Mazdaspeed3 etc. etc. etc.

The A5 looks the best (still even), but was overpriced and in short supply. We were going to get a 335i coupe (basically loaded, but stick shift), but Classic BMW is staffed with cocksuckers for sales people.

She ended up with a G35 sedan (sport, manual tranny). She'd had a G35Coupe before and felt that the G35 sedan of now drove an awful lot like the coupe she used to have, but with more interior room and trunk space. It doesn't stand out in the crowd though like the A5 does. It was also significantly cheaper (~34.5k vs. 45+ for any other other things we were looking at). Stanley at Sewell Infiniti really bent over backwards to get her into the right car (there was 1 6mt left in the region, so we had to get it transferred up from Houston). The after sales experience at Sewell has been almost Lexus-like (the people at Park Place Lexus set a VERY high bar).

We've put 3 kids (2 in car seats, 1 in a booster) in the back. We've had 5 people (4 adults, 1 kid in a carseat) in the car for short trips and 4 for long trips without complaint.

The only downside is that it is thirsty (19-20 in town, 23-24 on the highway) and the tires are directional & staggered, so it's eaten the rears in 11-12k miles.

Talking

Looks like Grubbs Infinity has hired some of Classic's BMW staff... Walked away very unimpressed with the Infinity experience. Good long time friend of mine has a G37s and likes it quite a bit but he takes it to Dallas to get it serviced. That is not something I am going to do.

And Park Place Lexus in Grapevine seemed generally disinterested in helping me and the wife yet again yesterday.

Maybe I should wear pants when I go to these dealerships....

Surprisingly the Toyota Dealer in Grapevine was supper nice and very helpful past visits we less positive.

Classic Chevrolet, Sewell 'lac in Grapevine and the Audi Dealer impressed us quite a bit.

Ah yea Allen Samuel's Hyundai has a guy who knew the Genesis Sedan inside and out, that is a very impressive sedan!

Dang we covered a lot of ground yesterday!

Driver

We actually bought her last G35 at Grubbs... but that was in like 2002. Since then the good management has left and Jr. is now running the show. And he's a real cocksmoke (he was the parts manager back then and you could just tell he wasn't the kind of person you'd want to deal with). Surprisingly, now the parts department is under a good manager now (although if I need Infiniti parts I go to Sewell since I'm friends with a parts manager's wife).

Sewell Infiniti will actually come out and pick up your car/drop off a loaner so you never have to drive over there

We never used Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, but the one in Plano. They really did do us right every time we were there (actually I was rarely there, my wife deals with her car on her own for the most part).

I don't know a single person who has owned a VWAG product that would recommend one as a long term buy. Hell, even most of the VW/Audi enthusiasts I know prefer to lease and trade when the lease/warranty period is up. What's that tell ya?

I really like the new A4. It's a great looking car, and they've improved the handling and steering significantly over the previous model, but I wouldn't even think of owning one out of warranty.

If you want to own it for 100k+ miles, your best bet is still the Japanese.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Same experience here. Had a 2001 S4 Avant. Great car, but somewhat sketchy reliability (most electrical gremlins). Got rid of if right before the 50K warranty expired.
    g/f had a TT with an insane amount of ridiculous problems, again mostly electrical. She got rid of before the warranty expired as well.

Bottom line--never own an Audi out of warranty....
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

My friend Matt signed a 24 month lease on a 2005 Audi S4. After a laundry list of problems, It was replaced as a lemon a 6 months in to the lease. The replacement (a 2006) was more reliable than the '05, but still not trouble free. I believe it got out of the lease early and picked up a 330i. He said he loves the BMW and will not go back to Audi. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    I'm thinking of one for the wife if the Camaro isn't to her liking, but a bit put off by Consumer Reports rating (not at the top of the pile and not exceptionally quiet on the highway) and by general feeling it will be expensive to own.
    Audi? Very nice to drive, but I damn sure wouldn't want one that was even a mile out of warranty. My friend got a very nice "certified pre-owned" A4 3.2 from Park Place a while back. Beautiful car, very solid, but like other A4s I've known, there was always some niggling BS problem cropping up. Usually it's electrical, with an emphasis on HVAC and/or entertainment.

From what I saw of the Camaro at the Dallas Auto Show a while back, it looks like a big ol' pig. Overly styled with half-baked execution. The interior looks nice in pictures but it's made out of the same sleazy crap that they put (or, um, used to put) in the Solstice.

Thumbs down on the Camaro... but that's just me.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Talking

OK so it looks like everyone likes the Audi thanks for all the positive feedback!

Headed to the dealer now!

Actually I really do appreciate everyones input on the Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Usually it's electrical, with an emphasis on HVAC and/or entertainment.
    My favorite issue that my friend ran in to with his first S4 was when the outside temperature sensor decided it was 50 degrees out when it was actually 100. The Auto climate control would crank the heat in an attempt to get to the ideal temperature.