Thread: Used street tires

Default Used street tires

I've heard that running almost worn out street tires is a good way to get some good gripping tire when driving aggressively. Is there any truth to this? If I could find a set of tires just to the wear bars in a local tireshop's junk pile would they make a good track only tire??
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I would think that the heat cycles would have worn them out. Many times, my tires cycle out before the tread is gone.

Hmmm good point I didn't think about heat cycling. I guess tires in the grand scheme of things aren't that expensive.

I just ordered a brand new set of Sumitomo HTR Z IIs from tirerack. Should have them in a few days or less. Cost me 345 dollars shipped. I love Tire Rack :)

I was just thinking of finding some tires that would be track only use that I could get for cheap. Since my whole operation is on a tight budget competing with my firearm and motorcycle habit lol.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

There is no such thing as cheap track tires. You need good fresh rubber. Worn out tires are just that.....worn out!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Worn out tires are definitely just worn out... I had a BLAST driving on a set at an autocross a few weeks ago, but they were a COMPLETE crap shoot. Out of the 8 runs, there was about 3/4 of 1 where they offered anything resembling predictable grip. The other 7 1/4 runs it was anybody's guess exactly what was going to happen if I approached the limits entering a turn (or, god forbid, hit the brakes - they really seemed to be pissed off about that).

But you'll definitely not learn a damn thing from worn out tires other than to be wary of your car...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Waaaay back in the day I autocrossed my 5.0 Mustang on wore-out street tires. The result was a shit-ton of tire smoke and drifting before drifting was cool. Fun? You bet. Fast? Hell no!

But it was lots of fun... lots and lots of fun, and lots and lots of burnt rubber...

I'm about to auto-x the Miata on a set of wore-out T1Rs, so I'm sure it'll be like Bambi on ice... not fast, but good times!

I promise to get a proper set of track tires sooner rather than later...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 06-03-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    You need good fresh rubber.
    That's what she said....
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

I would have to disagree. I buy on used tires all the time (r-comps and street tires) and I think they are well worth the money and a great way to stretch your dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    I would have to disagree. I buy on used tires all the time (r-comps and street tires) and I think they are well worth the money and a great way to stretch your dollar.
    It's been hit or miss for me with used race tires. Most of them have been done in 1-2 autocrosses so unless you've got a tire mounter at home, not worth the money IMO. Plus you run the risk of getting tires that are heat cycled out with tread left (with less grip than good street tires).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I agree that it can be hit or miss. Each time I bought used R comps I had really good results.

1st set was a set of Yoko A032R soft compound for the M3. I think I paid 300shipped for 235/45/17 and they were still 75% tread and not heat cycled out. I probably used them for 4-5 autocrosses and got nearly all my money back on them when I sold them with the wheels they were on.

2nd set was a set of Toyo RA-1's that were basically 90% tread, they had been used for 1 track session (beginner) and 2 autocrosses and I used those probably 6-7 autocrosses and made some money on them when I dumped them with my Enkei wheels.

3rd set was a set of Hoosier A3S05's I picked up with my Rotas that are probably 60% left, rubber still feels soft but I have not run them yet.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    almost worn out street tires
    Do you think that almost worn out street tires are a good way to stretch your dollar? I agree that buying some scrubs us a great idea, but almost worn out street tires are pretty much dead.

Since we are talking about used street tires. Does anyone know if street miles heat cycle street tires?

The Dunlop Original Z1 I have on my RX-8 still have trends left, but they lost most of their grip and became very unpredictable at the limit... I have them for about 15 months, with probably 10k street miles and 8 autocross and trackdays combined.

TIA,

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post
    Since we are talking about used street tires. Does anyone know if street miles heat cycle street tires?
    I would imagine so. I did not get very many AX runs on my previous set of Azenis before they died, but I did have them on the car for several months. Same with my current set of Azenis.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Do you think that almost worn out street tires are a good way to stretch your dollar? I agree that buying some scrubs us a great idea, but almost worn out street tires are pretty much dead.
    I agree that worn out street tires don't have great grip. But I still think they're great! If you get your tires for next to nothing you can run more events. For myself at my time time trials we can put almost 100 laps on The Goldsmobile in a day. There is NO way I could afford that on anything but old hard street tires...

I'd rather run on old tires than stay home!

And for a novice I think it's better to race on the cheapest tires and then get twice the seat time.

jrjr512- So let me know when you want to sell your old Toyos!