Thread: View of Turn 3.5 @ Eagles Canyon

Driver

Default View of Turn 3.5 @ Eagles Canyon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojI7afg8klA

Ya, don't do what I did... too high a speed and a bad line

Luckily no gas cans in the back seat.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

time stamp? that track it to boring to watch for more then a lap. if they made the straights3/4 shorter is would be a nice track.

Around 8:19ish. That is a bad spot, or was!!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i have no clue how you did that, thought them evos cars drive them selfs, did you reboot it before you went back out?

that's another reason i don't like that track, going off out there is a good chance your not driving your car home.

Damn, trying a shortcut?

Man, you went a long way off! Good job on remembering to go off straight though.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wow... You were quite a bit off going through those turns. Use the orange cones to improve your line going through them.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Driver

Ya I wish I had video from the 4th session... everything was MUCH cleaner and faster. I cringe when I watch the video because I am all over the place and all sorts of off line. Too many inputs I think (meaning I'm thinking too much and trying to go too fast).

The lap before I went off was a 2:09/2:10, which isn't great nor terrible.

yeah, you can see exactly what happened. if you watch the evo in frt. of you, you can see that he is all the way to the right before making that left hander. as a matter of fact there's an orange cone there to tell you where you should be. your maybe 2 car widths over towards the middle of the track. then at 8:14 you can see the angle that the other evo is at in relation to the apex cone. that's how you should be there. if you go to 8:15 and stop it, you can see the angle your at in relation to that cone. your car is facing the direction it's headed (which is off track) and you actually go off exactly where your car was pointing when you were next to that apex cone. that wasn't the only thing that sent you off though. you can hear your on the gas too much at the apex, which made you understeer off the track. you could have waited another sec. to get on the gas, or just let off a little or tapped the brake to put weight back on the frt. tires. when you did let off, it was too late. you really need an instructor with you to show you a few things still. you maybe hit 3 apex in that whole session, and didn't use the whole track (track-in/apex/track-out) at any time. i'm wondering if you were looking up also. that would explain how you got in that situation. keeping your eyes up and looking as far ahead as possible is key and very hard to train yourself to do for most people. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to put you down or anything. just tryin' to help a fellow track star out! lol..... believe me, i've done the same thing, and more than once, when i started out. i love the fact that your actually using your evo x and not parking lot pimpin' like everyone else.

Driver

I agree with everything you've said. Hitting apexes and keeping turned into a corner (therefore not tracking out correctly) is the hardest thing for me. I tend to turn in too sharply and then hold the turn too long.

It looks like you are consistently early in many cases. If you are continually running out of room at exit, you're in too early :) When you think you want to turn in, just wait. THEN turn in.

That said, your off didn't look *too* bad to me. I'm betting a quick lift and rotation would have kept you on the track. Then again, if it didn't work you might have gone off sideways which wouldn't be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolin2bars View Post
    keeping your eyes up and looking as far ahead as possible is key and very hard to train yourself to do for most people.
    It's a concept I STILL have trouble with. That said, the first time an instructor got me to do this consistently was the day I made the most dramatic progress in terms of my driving skill ever. IMHO it's THE single most important thing to learn.

Going off track at all really frightens me. I'm the king of "little steps."
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I disagree that he is early. Looks to me like he is charging the corners so turn in is late and he completely misses the apex. We all know what happens next. I also think that he gets fixated on the car ahead. When he has no rabbit, he is better, but when there's someone to catch, he's over driving the corners. That car has got lots of power down the straights but he's not prepared for the turn-in.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I disagree that he is early. Looks to me like he is charging the corners so turn in is late and he completely misses the apex. We all know what happens next. I also think that he gets fixated on the car ahead. When he has no rabbit, he is better, but when there's someone to catch, he's over driving the corners. That car has got lots of power down the straights but he's not prepared for the turn-in.
    I absolutely was fixated on the car in front. I remember thinking "I'm catching up to you sucka."

Iain knows this guy (the one in front of me) via the interwebs and he'd likely have been trying to catch up to him too

I actually have even worse issues when there's someone behind me. I need to work on my "in traffic" skills.

My list of "to be worked ons" is pretty long
    - hitting turn in points, apex, track out
    - looking ahead
    - smoother inputs
    - not fixating on the car in front of or behind me
    - not braking too early (cooks brakes!)
    - not braking too late
    - not coasting

My plan for the next DE is to actually go slower. I want to groove in the line and the sensation of driving the line better. I did this at Hallett the second day and I had a lot more fun. I wasn't as fast as I could be, but I likely learned more.

ETA: I appreciate all the help guys. I want to get better, I do have a thick skull though.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Iain knows this guy (the one in front of me) via the interwebs and he'd likely have been trying to catch up to him too
    Yeah, but I would have caught him.

Overall I don't see a bunch of huge mistakes, just a succession of little ones. Here are a couple of my suggestions:

• Focus on consistently hitting your marks in the same spot lap after lap. Speed comes with knowing the line.
    • Use all the track! It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but I'm pretty sure I can see a LOT of places where you missed the apex or the track in point by a half a car width.
    • Stop following the leader. This is a hard one for students to learn, and typically it's because they aren't looking far enough ahead (like Jamie pointed out). Don't look directly at the car in front of you, but look beyond it. You should constantly be scanning at least a hundred yards ahead of the car, in order to anticipate where you want the car to be. Your peripheral vision will take care of what's directly in front of you, like traffic. If you fixate on a guy's back bumper and he suddenly brakes to avoid something in front of him, you'll hit him. If you're looking ahead, you can anticipate what he's going to do.
    Last edited by altiain; 09-29-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I absolutely was fixated on the car in front. I remember thinking "I'm catching up to you sucka."

I actually have even worse issues when there's someone behind me. I need to work on my "in traffic" skills.

My list of "to be worked ons" is pretty long
    - hitting turn in points, apex, track out
    - looking ahead
    - smoother inputs
    - not fixating on the car in front of or behind me
    - not braking too early (cooks brakes!)
    - not braking too late
    - not coasting

My plan for the next DE is to actually go slower. I want to groove in the line and the sensation of driving the line better. I did this at Hallett the second day and I had a lot more fun. I wasn't as fast as I could be, but I likely learned more.

ETA: I appreciate all the help guys. I want to get better, I do have a thick skull though.
    Goofygrin,
    From my instructing perspective, I agree with Madmerv and Iain. One of the good things about you, is that you are not constantly giving an excuse for constuctive criticism. You even go as far to write a list of corrections you what to work on. That is absolutely awesome. I do not need to add anything, but I am impressed when a driver admits what s/he needs to work on and then follows it. We all have been there, and I would bet that ALL instructors worth their merit are still learning every time WE are in the passenger seat. Good luck and if you are ever participating in an Apex or The Driver's Edge HPDE's, I would be happy to work with you.
    Alan