Thread: Miata, meet ROB

Default Miata, meet ROB

As I have just spent all of my "car fund" (allowance given to me by the wife each week for car related stuff) on buying my 1991 miata, I'm trying to find relatively inexpensive projects to keep me busy.

Luckily, my wife understands my car obsession and has even gotten into fixing it up and actually demanded that we go buy a random orbital buffer, affectionately known as ROB. I'm just begining the VERY slow process of trying to smooth out the paint and get rid of all of the scratches and swirl marks that COVER this car's paint.

Since my budget is tight, we picked up ROB from walmart for $20 and some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I've only done about 1/3 of trunk lid so far but I can tell it is working... slowly but working. I'm thinking I'm going to need more bonnets to complete this process. I've been using the wool one that came with ROB. Are there better ones out that that I should use? Any other helpful tips?

Thanks.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I wouldn't use the wool for compounding it is better suited for polishing.

Get a bunch of the terry cloth bonnets and change them often. You can run them in the washer so they last a long long time.

Thanks sammmm and pos.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Any DIY tips for this "blemish"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Polish it best ya can!

But I'm thinking you'll need a bit more than ROB is going to be able provide to make that "blemish" go away!

I know I need to get some "touch up" paint (huge understatement :) ) and some sort of filler... I've never done paint/body repair before. Is there something I can do on my own to get this filled in and painted so it doesnt get any worse? Can I just order my color code online...

Thanks again
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Any DIY tips for this "blemish"
    Slap a GT-R badge over it.

That's a two for one special, better looks and more hp!
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

http://www.properautocare.com/plmibubo.html Has anyone tried these out? I'm thinking about grabbing a 6 pack and some of the Menzerna Intensive Polish and seeing what happens...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Maybe rear mud flaps would cover most of it. :dunno:

or maybe

Intensive polish may be more than you need. I got both Intersive and Final Polish II and the Intensive worked good on some trouble spots on my 'lac I also used it on the Red Miata but it was pretty aggressive.

(link - http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...tensive+Polish)

You can also find the microfiber bonnets at Wally World.

Save you pennies for a PC with the foam pads much better than a bonnet setup IMHO.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 07-22-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks again POS. I'm saving my pennies for a laundry list of miata projects right now :) I want to improve the paint as best as I can (but on the cheap side for now). I need to spend my money on doing preventative maintenance items first. I don't mind putting some sweat equity into the car though. Attacking the paint seems like a good way to get me working on the car while I'm saving up for the timing belt/water pump kit. Not to mention I need a jack, jack stands, fluids, brakes, pads.... the list goes on.

Thanks again for all your help guys
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

That's perfect! I can add a couple of those to the right side of the car and get that balanced, symmetrical look.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Maybe rear mud flaps would cover most of it. :dunno:

or maybe
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Just keep in mind that you can screw up the paint if you get overly aggressive.

I'll try to be patient and start with the light stuff first. Apart from the fact that you can tell the car is green, I'm not sure that I can make the paint any worse. It's scratch city on every pannel of the car. I'm not sure what happened to the poor thing...

On the plus side, it seems to run quite well for an 18 year old car with 182,000 miles.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

You dont want to be polishing with abrasives any more than you have to really as it is reducing the amount of paint on the car every time you do it... It is not a limitless supply!

Be careful when using the ROB around the area this is not flat. The paint on the Miata is pretty thin and it will "evaporate" right in front of your eyes!
    Gabriel