Thread: Metroplex destination Ideas?

Default Metroplex destination Ideas?

My wife has been bugging me about how we need to get out of North Dallas, and explore the rest on the Metroplex. I really don’t want to hop in the car, drive to Fort Worth, Denton, etc., and say “Yep… this is Fort Worth”. Can anyone suggest interesting family destinations for us to check out?

Pick an evening for dinner/Movies/drinking/dancing or whatever your pleasure. Then drive to Ft. Worth. Once in or around Sundance Square park your car. There is more to do there than you will have time to do.

Of course you could always hit Billy Bobs in the afternoon, for Lunch/Dinner. Kids are often there until like 9pm or something. You can even see their indoor rodeo.

There is another place that is dear to my heart.....Hooters Arlington Free beer and lots of eye candy.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    There is another place that is dear to my heart.....Hooters Arlington Free beer and lots of eye candy.
    Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have 21 Month old Daughter!

Depends on what your idea of an "interesting family destination" is. The Modern in Fort Worth usually has some interesting art on display, and the building itself is fascinating, if you like architecture. Not far from the Modern, the Kimbell Art Museum is widely regarded as one of the most outstanding public art facilities in the world. They have a very extensive permanent collection, and also host many impressive traveling exhibitions.

If you're not an art fan (I'm not really either, but I enjoy the Kimbell and the Modern), The Stockyards apparently has some attractions, although I can't say that I've done much exploring around there. Or, if you'd prefer an evening out, Sundance Square in downtown Fort Worth offers a variety of restaurants, bars, etc., all in a relatively clean and safe environment.

One last suggestion - if your wife likes Broadway musicals, opera, or the symphony, suprise her with tickets to a performance at the Bass Performance Hall in downtown Fort Worth. It was named one of the top ten performance halls in the world, and it really is an amazing place, both architecturally and acoustically.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Cool, kids eat free on Saturdays
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

As a big kid, I really like going to the zoo. We've got several great ones in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    As a big kid, I really like going to the zoo. We've got several great ones in the area.
    Yeah... I second that... I would go to the Ft. Worth one over the Dallas one though... lots of cool stuff for the kids
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Yeah... I second that... I would go to the Ft. Worth one over the Dallas one though... lots of cool stuff for the kids

Cool... Its on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    If she's still breast feeding this could be a real joy for her.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Yes but the Dallas Zoo lets you get up and close with the gorillas.

(collective groan)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Definetly the The Fort Worth Zoo... and perhaps the The Fort Worth Botanic Gardens.

If you like to antique shop, there are plenty of small town squares that offer a multitude of antique shops... it's just a matter of making time. You don't have to do it all in a weekend.

I know a great place just South of the Fort Worth Zoo too, lets see if I can dig up the webpage....

Yeah here it is www.oceanrockseafood.com

Edit: and like 3bean mentioned. Montgomery St. Antique shop is a good one, it even has a good cafe inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I know a great place just South of the Fort Worth Zoo too, lets see if I can dig up the webpage....

Yeah here it is www.oceanrockseafood.com

Edit: and like 3bean mentioned. Montgomery St. Antique shop is a good one, it even has a good cafe inside.
    Yes, the Rock is good... they have a blackened tuna sandwich there that rocks!!

And somewhere I have a directory of just about all the antique shops in the area... some of them have kick ass food as well!! I'll see if I can't find it...

When your kiddo is a little bit older, Founder's Plaza at DFW Airport is a great little place to sit & watch the airplanes take off & land...

One of the Taxiways is right next to the plaza... the planes will go within 100 feet of you if they are using the far runways that day... Yesterday I took the kiddo there for about 1/2 hour and we had a CRJ, an MD-80, and a 777 go right by.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!