Thread: New '04 Ti Grey MSM owner in Richardson

Default New '04 Ti Grey MSM owner in Richardson

Hi everyone!

Just purchased my 3rd MX-5 a few weeks ago ('91 Silverstone; '99 Red Base previously) in Plano. I've been out of the fray for about 6 yrs now.

MSM has 48K on the odometer and is in impeccable shape. If by some miracle the previous owner frequents the forum - thank you - and where is my top boot??

I see a red MSM going down Collins toward Plano Rd every work day between 4-5PM - beautiful car if anyone on here owns it.

Quick question for the '04/'05 MSM owners:

I always missed my '91 after I sold it because it was just 'raw' - if that makes sense. The '04 MSM has the same feel to it, but seems excessively rough riding - a lot of vibration in the interior is the best way I can describe it. I'm wondering if it has more to do with the 17" wheel/low profile tire combo than anything else. I also owned an '03 Speed Protege with the same tire/wheel combo.

Passenger seat visibly moving (with no occupant) and the whole car almost shakes like a vintage muscle/pony car. Idles perfectly; runs great - just want to see if there's anything outside of maybe a tire rotation/balance that might help or is the MSM just really that much more rough in general (noise/NVH) that the standard '99-'05 model.

The clutch is also wickedly stiff & heavy - but again, that could be normal. Just feels like a brick compared to the '03 Protege 5 I have as a daily driver.

Thanks for any comments or insight anyone has to offer.
    Last edited by BiggestPapi; 07-31-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Welcome! You can change the name if you want, just pm a mod. Also, my passenger seat on my 2000 model vibrates pretty bad sometimes. I push it all the way back and recline it where the back of the seat is pushed up against the wind blocker. This helps me, YMMV.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I'll give the seat recline a try - nice, easy place to start. Thanks!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard. Shoot me a PM if you want a screen name change.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestPapi View Post
    I see a red MSM going down Collins toward Plano Rd every work day between 4-5PM - beautiful car if anyone on here owns it.
    That would be me on my way home.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestPapi View Post
    I always missed my '91 after I sold it because it was just 'raw' - if that makes sense. The '04 MSM has the same feel to it, but seems excessively rough riding - a lot of vibration in the interior is the best way I can describe it. I'm wondering if it has more to do with the 17" wheel/low profile tire combo than anything else. I also owned an '03 Speed Protege with the same tire/wheel combo.

Passenger seat visibly moving (with no occupant) and the whole car almost shakes like a vintage muscle/pony car. Idles perfectly; runs great - just want to see if there's anything outside of maybe a tire rotation/balance that might help or is the MSM just really that much more rough in general (noise/NVH) that the standard '99-'05 model.

The clutch is also wickedly stiff & heavy - but again, that could be normal. Just feels like a brick compared to the '03 Protege 5 I have as a daily driver.
    Most MSM owners will dump the stock rims and tires pretty quickly. They're heavy, and yes, the ride is harsh. I replaced mine with 15x8 6UL's and some 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus R-S2's. The difference is remarkable. MUCH smoother and quieter.

As for vibration, I've noticed that in mine as well, though to be fair, Richardson isn't exactly progressive about maintaining the roads... my passenger seat vibrates as well, in fact I just noticed that today while I was looking for the source of a peculiar rattle on that side of the car.

Can't comment on the clutch, as this is my first Miata and the only comparisons I can make are to an '01 Jetta and an '84 Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Welcome aboard. Shoot me a PM if you want a screen name change.
    I was unaware that this was an option. PM incoming.
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

Welcome aboard.

I have about 62K on mine and have owned it since new. The ride is firm and the 62mph shimmy is common. I would make sure that you have the tires balanced from a good shop. I had a road force balance that seemed to be better than the typical balancers.

Before you have the tires balanced, you might want to jack each of the wheels up and spin the wheel to see if you may have any out of roundness issues. I have had two of the stock rims bent from daily driving.

The suspension is firm, no doubt about it. I put some smaller 15" rims on mine for a while, but I did not like the sidewall flex that the 15" tires had in comparison to my 17" rims, so I put it back to stock.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Yeah, another MSM in the mix. I thought all the vibration was due to the "sportiness" of the car and have learned to love it. I will admit with a set of 16's the ride is nicer, but I love the look of the stock rims.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Default Mine shakes a bit too

I have an 04 Ti MSM also. It does have some chassis vibration at around 70 or so. The car has been great until this past week (trying to troubleshoot a misfire problem).

FM full intake and downpipe

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Welcome aboard.

I would make sure that you have the tires balanced from a good shop. I had a road force balance that seemed to be better than the typical balancers.

Before you have the tires balanced, you might want to jack each of the wheels up and spin the wheel to see if you may have any out of roundness issues. I have had two of the stock rims bent from daily driving.
    Thanks for the tips. Would you mind if I ask the shop name where you had the road force balance done?

Checked each wheel - thankfully, all spin perfectly right now.

I had mine done at the Eldorado Mazda in McKinney
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Thanks again.