Thread: I need a tow

Default I need a tow

anyone want to pull my miata from Lewisville to Wylie next weekend? I only need a 1-way tow so I can get some fab-work done then drive it home. I'll throw some cash your way if its cheaper than hiring a tow truck.

[email protected]

edit, dates would help. 9/11 or 9/12 would be great.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 09-01-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I would but I am leaving early sat morning and won't be back until Monday evening.

It's a ways away from me, but I don't have plans (especially if you could do it early in the day). You have something to put it on? My Escape should handle it fine (pulled a 6,000lb trailer from Cali here twice).

negative...I need someone with a truck and trailer.

Gotcha. Sorry, no trailer here. If you can't find someone else and want to pick up a UHaul dolly I can help though!

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltFire View Post
    Gotcha. Sorry, no trailer here. If you can't find someone else and want to pick up a UHaul dolly I can help though!
    Thanks, but I'm going with a real trailer so I don't have to deal with main-shaft drama.

Help me out here,........ what main shaft drama?
    I have a tow bar set up that attaches to the tow hooks that I would let you use.......but I am not home and it sounds like you really want a trailer......

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Help me out here,........ what main shaft drama?
    I have a tow bar set up that attaches to the tow hooks that I would let you use.......but I am not home and it sounds like you really want a trailer......
    Mazda does not recommend towing a Miata with the rear wheels on the ground unless the drive shaft is removed. Apparently the transmission only splashes around the gear oil when in gear. When you put it in neutral and tow it, the transmission gears are spinning (powered by the diff/driveshaft) but are not getting properly lubricated.

Thanks for the info........., never heard that one concerning a manual trans, don't know if I believe it or not. What difference would it make it the gears are being spun via the drive shaft or the input shaft? expiring minds want to know.........

Thanks for the info........., never heard that one concerning a manual trans, don't know if I believe it or not. What difference would it make it the gears are being spun via the drive shaft or the input shaft? expiring minds want to know.........
    Found this explanation on Miata.net:

The Miata's (and most transmissions) are indeed lubricated by "splash oiling". The input shaft rotates the counter-shaft which resides in the bottom of the transmission submerged in the oil. The output shaft is rotated by the drive wheels/drive-shaft/differential, and is above the oil level in the transmission, and does not splash the lubrication inside the transmission. The actually driven gears are constantly rotated by the counter-shaft gears when the engine is running and the clutch is out (in gear or neutral). The driven gears freely rotate (on bearings) on the output shaft unless the gear is selected. Towing a car in neutral causes the output shaft to rotate while the gears remain stationary (and receive no splash lubrication).

Thanks for the info Todd.
    But unless the Miata trans is different than any other manual out there (which is unlikely) I would tow that puppy around the country and bet you would never have an issue. You know, kinda of like racers and RVers have been doing for decades..........I am sure the description of lubrication is correct but me thinks Mazda is just erring on the side of being very cautious. You know how those engineers can be.

Lost216 has been towing his around the country behind his RV without removing the drive shaft. He has not reported any issues.

Thanks for the info Todd.
    But unless the Miata trans is different than any other manual out there (which is unlikely) I would tow that puppy around the country and bet you would never have an issue. You know, kinda of like racers and RVers have been doing for decades..........I am sure the description of lubrication is correct but me thinks Mazda is just erring on the side of being very cautious. You know how those engineers can be.
    do most mains shafts sit above pinions in other cars? Isn't the main solid in a miata, with no synchros, sliders, bearings...? I guess that could make a difference.

Regardless, its not a chance I'm willing to take with this 6-speed. I guess I'll just call a tow truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Lost216 has been towing his around the country behind his RV without removing the drive shaft. He has not reported any issues.
    Yep from Florida to Oregon this year, and he is headed to Nebraska with the Miata being flat towed behind the RV today.

U-Haul 2 wheeler worked fine for me, but mine was a much shorter trip!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Found this explanation on Miata.net:

The Miata's (and most transmissions) are indeed lubricated by "splash oiling". The input shaft rotates the counter-shaft which resides in the bottom of the transmission submerged in the oil. The output shaft is rotated by the drive wheels/drive-shaft/differential, and is above the oil level in the transmission, and does not splash the lubrication inside the transmission. The actually driven gears are constantly rotated by the counter-shaft gears when the engine is running and the clutch is out (in gear or neutral). The driven gears freely rotate (on bearings) on the output shaft unless the gear is selected. Towing a car in neutral causes the output shaft to rotate while the gears remain stationary (and receive no splash lubrication).
    Also on Miata.net

Tim's description was good, but a couple of clarifications: Lubrication in a running transmission is more atomization than splash. The gears turn so fast that the oil is misted, not splopped around. So, if oil is splash or slopped around in a towed transmission, realize the lubrication mechanism is not only a different amount of oil, it is delivered in a different way.

Keith also makes a very good point regarding the load on the towed transmission. The heat, gear face pressure in a running transmission make significant demands on the oil to lubricate and cool the parts. It's not all about RPM. The towed transmission is transmitting almost no power, so its oil requirements are much less. If you can get away with towing a Miata, this is an important reason why.

As an interesting aside, the 6 speed has some of its synchronizers on the lay shaft. That is, turning the driveshaft does spin gears that are immersed in the oil. The 6 speed cars, surely, shouldn't have any issues with lubrication while towing. I wonder if Mazda made note of this and approved its towing? I'll bet not.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Also on Miata.net

Tim's description was good, but a couple of clarifications: Lubrication in a running transmission is more atomization than splash. The gears turn so fast that the oil is misted, not splopped around. So, if oil is splash or slopped around in a towed transmission, realize the lubrication mechanism is not only a different amount of oil, it is delivered in a different way.

Keith also makes a very good point regarding the load on the towed transmission. The heat, gear face pressure in a running transmission make significant demands on the oil to lubricate and cool the parts. It's not all about RPM. The towed transmission is transmitting almost no power, so its oil requirements are much less. If you can get away with towing a Miata, this is an important reason why.

As an interesting aside, the 6 speed has some of its synchronizers on the lay shaft. That is, turning the driveshaft does spin gears that are immersed in the oil. The 6 speed cars, surely, shouldn't have any issues with lubrication while towing. I wonder if Mazda made note of this and approved its towing? I'll bet not.
    I should put a hitch on my ugly miata, and use it to pull the nice miata. Thanks for finding this.