Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which car for STS?

Default Which car for STS?

Ok so I have a choice between two NA miatas to make my STS car.

I have a 1993 and a 1994 and have been back and forth thinking about which car to turn into the STS racer.

The 1994 has the power windows/cruise/power mirrors/ac/power steering and the LSD as well as ABS. I could get an open diff, remove the power steering, and electronically disable the ABS and be in STS with this car. This vehicle appeals to me because of the higher power/larger brakes of the 1.8l car.

Looking under the comfort and convenience rules it looks like I could keep the power windows and power mirrors and AC if I wanted. I am sure I am missing a few things, so please any advice is welcome.

The 1993 is much closer to STS prep already, but I am willing to move the parts from one to the other in order to have the best platform for STS.

Any thoughts?

I'd put my efforts on the '93 since it sounds like a lot of work to neuter the '94....

Have you had either car on the scales or on a dyno?

I would use the '94, keep all the power stuff (I prefer power steering for autocross) and take advantage of the ABS and 1.8L. Just throw an open diff in there and pocket the money.

Weren't all the top STS Miatas at Nationals 1.8L cars.

BTW, ABS is a great advantage, I wouldn't want to get rid of it for any reason.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

...and I will trade you an open diff for your torsen.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I would use the '94, keep all the power stuff (I prefer power steering for autocross) and take advantage of the ABS and 1.8L. Just throw an open diff in there and pocket the money.

Well most of the top STS cars were 1.8L cars anyhow. The ABS presents a little problem because in the 94 it was only offered on the A B and C packages, which all had the LSD. I am learning to read the rulebook, but I thought that in order to have the open diff you had to take the car back to "base" status since that is the only trim level with the open diff. And ABS was only offered on the A B and C trim levels......so I may be a little stuck, or could be interpreting the rules too strict.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post

You could only get the open diff in a base car. You could not get ABS in a base car. So, it is one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    You could only get the open diff in a base car. You could not get ABS in a base car. So, it is one or the other.
    From what I read in the rule book you can disable the ABS system if you want to in STS, so again a little gray area here that if a car that has ABS is allowed to disable it, would a car that should not have ABS but has it disabled be allowed in the class?
    Last edited by Brad; 09-14-2009 at 12:11 PM.

I would wait and see what happens with the spoiler situation. If spoilers continue to be allowed the 1.8 miata may be the car to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    I would wait and see what happens with the spoiler situation.
    What is the "spoiler situation"??

Interested in this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    What is the "spoiler situation"??
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Interested in this as well.
    More info here: http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/377943.aspx.

To summarize: 2 people showed up at nationals with big wings on their miatas. The rules are not very clear on this. To paraphrase it says the "bodykits and spoilers are legal" but "the intention of the rule is not to allow bodykits and spoilers that have significant aerodynamic effect".

The result of the protest was that they were ruled legal and allowed to continue to compete with them. But part of the reason for the protest was to get the rule changed to something that is more clear. I would predict that wings will not be legal for much longer....

OK but I don't see anything about ABS or Torsens just a bunch of stuff about wings? Why would that be a plus for the 1.8 Miatas??

BTW. I'm keeping my cool ass spoiler until we get an official ruling!

OK but I don't see anything about ABS or Torsens just a bunch of stuff about wings? Why would that be a plus for the 1.8 Miatas??
    The wing provides more rear grip at speed lessening the need for a LSD.

BTW. I'm keeping my cool ass spoiler until we get an official ruling!
    Hot Ass!

Cool Ass!

Best car for STS = CRX.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Best car for STS = CRX.
    I will put a wing on my car before i buy a CRX........

I'd want the 1.8L with the ABS, if I had the option.

I'd write a letter to the SCCA looking for clarification on the ABS issue. Coupled with the 1.8L brakes, ABS would be a big advantage.

The way I remember reading the rules, only the diff was disallowed. Nothing in the rules required the removal of any other equipment (like ABS) that was otherwise legal for the class.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'd want the 1.8L with the ABS, if I had the option.

I'd write a letter to the SCCA looking for clarification on the ABS issue. Coupled with the 1.8L brakes, ABS would be a big advantage.

The way I remember reading the rules, only the diff was disallowed. Nothing in the rules required the removal of any other equipment (like ABS) that was otherwise legal for the class.
    According to this, you must have a base car (or base conversion) if you have a 1.8: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=346943. Granted, these guys could be full if sh!t. Since you cannot have ABS on a base car, then you cannot run an ABS 1.8 in STS.

If Brad tries it, I'll protest his ass. (not really)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    ...and I will trade you an open diff for your torsen.
    I'll do better. I'll trade you a 1.6 open dif for the torsen.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast