Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 octane

Default 100 octane

Where can you buy race gas in DFW?

taco bell?
    I learned this the hard way.....

Take all of your valuables out of your car at night. This includes taking the mounting hardware off of your windshield or dash and hiding the power supplies. I lost over $ 1,000 to a thief with no hope of recovering my items and to top if off they smashed my window in the rain and my truck got soaked. Let my loss be your learning experience.

Driver

There's a couple places. ECR sells it, but it's not cheap.

Motorsport Sales near 635/75 has a good rep and it's on your way home.

There's a bike shop north of 635 on the west side of 35 that sells VP fuels, but it's really pricey.

Kroger sells E85, which is 105 octane I'll be running that in a couple weeks. It's 30 cents cheaper/gallon then 87!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Our local airport sell avgas 100LL for $3.55/gal. I don't know if you could use it in a race car.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    There's a couple places. ECR sells it, but it's not cheap.

Motorsport Sales near 635/75 has a good rep and it's on your way home.

There's a bike shop north of 635 on the west side of 35 that sells VP fuels, but it's really pricey.

Kroger sells E85, which is 105 octane I'll be running that in a couple weeks. It's 30 cents cheaper/gallon then 87!
    So what do EVO drivers do when they switch to e85?

I've run a gallon of Toulene during hot track days but haven't messed with the e85.

I'd like to run a Megasquirt II or III and hook up a flex fuel sensor.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Blog Entries
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

E85 is 105oct 30cents cheaper than 87oct but you do burn %20 more fuel i think.... It requires a complete upgraded fuel system but that also depends on how much boost yada yada yada. Its just a better alt. less worry about detenation and you can run more boost and such.
    http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/hjgl-1-1.jpg
    MONSTER TRUCK! ready to be dropped....

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Our local airport sell avgas 100LL for $3.55/gal. I don't know if you could use it in a race car.
    It better not have a catalytic converter in it. Also, 100 low lead avgas contains 4 times more lead than did regular leaded gas for cars. Even in aircraft you can have issues with fouling the spark plugs after a while.

In Van Alstyne, the Exxon station on the north-east corner of the highway has racing fuel, propane and K1 kerosene
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    So what do EVO drivers do when they switch to e85?

I've run a gallon of Toulene during hot track days but haven't messed with the e85.

I'd like to run a Megasquirt II or III and hook up a flex fuel sensor.

Chris
    I'm spending about $1000 between parts and labor.

I'm having to upgrade injectors (1000cc), fuel pump, fuel pump housing, a fuel line in the tank and fuel filter (since the OEM one is inside the tank [BAH!]). Then I pay for install of these parts, plus a retune.

I likely won't run much more boost (maybe one PSI more, I'm running 26psi now), but I'll be able to run quite a bit more timing, which will be nice since it will be power across the board.

Here's Chris from Cobb's dyno plot on his X MR converted to E85:

As you can see, 1psi of boost, but 71 ftlb tq and 52hp.

And Cobb's dyno reads lower than most (Mustang AWD, that's not calibrated correctly IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by moosemonkey View Post
    E85 is 105oct 30cents cheaper than 87oct but you do burn %20 more fuel i think.... It requires a complete upgraded fuel system but that also depends on how much boost yada yada yada. Its just a better alt. less worry about detenation and you can run more boost and such.
    20-30% more fuel is common. At WOT, because you're typically increasing the fuel delivery system it potentially is even more.

Which will be interesting to see since I already only get 6-7mpg on the track
    Last edited by goofygrin; 10-15-2009 at 06:34 AM.

northstar drag way in denton has 104 octane no lead it was 8 bucks a gallon but the ms3 ran great on it.
    2005 Harkey-davidson lowrider
    2002 miata
    2009 klx250sf

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Which will be interesting to see since I already only get 6-7mpg on the track
    Which brings up a good point - What are you going to do at the track when you burn through your tank of corn gas in a session and a half? Will you have an alternate map for normal gas?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Which brings up a good point - What are you going to do at the track when you burn through your tank of corn gas in a session and a half? Will you have an alternate map for normal gas?
    I'll do what I've started doing now, bring fuel with me (and remember to take it out of the back seat ).

And ya, I'll have an alt-map and can switch it with the laptop in my glove box.

Don't they have 100 octane gas at the Texaco at the front gate at MSR?

There's E85 within 15 minutes of H2R.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Don't they have 100 octane gas at the Texaco at the front gate at MSR?
    Yes, among others (well the last time I was there).

Chris
    It's about 20 minutes from Hallett too.

Chassis Designer

Chris
    E85 is the devil (at least when it comes to most passenger cars).

The whole Ethanol-as-fuel for street cars thing is a joke. All that ethanol is good for in most passenger cars is destroying the fuel systems. The E10 pump gas we're all forced to buy is really bad for lawn equipment and other non-road-going power toys like jet skis and such. I use 50:Fuel in all my 2-cycle equipment at home (zero ethanol, all synthetic oil, fuel stabilizer included, pre-mixed to 50:1). It's nice having my blower and weedeater start on the first pull after sitting idle for 3 months.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    E85 is the devil (at least when it comes to most passenger cars).

The whole Ethanol-as-fuel for street cars thing is a joke. All that ethanol is good for in most passenger cars is destroying the fuel systems. The E10 pump gas we're all forced to buy is really bad for lawn equipment and other non-road-going power toys like jet skis and such. I use 50:Fuel in all my 2-cycle equipment at home (zero ethanol, all synthetic oil, fuel stabilizer included, pre-mixed to 50:1). It's nice having my blower and weedeater start on the first pull after sitting idle for 3 months.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.
    E85 is the business (cheap and relatively easy HP).

Also, it does not destroy road cars and shouldn't have any effect on the fuel system (disregarding tuning) made after 88 or 89 (when Federal cars had to be able to accept <E10).

Obviously this was not mandated for 2-cycle equipment.

Chris

Can we run 100 octane gas in a "regular" street car without tuning changes?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

E85 is the business (cheap and relatively easy HP).

Also, it does not destroy road cars and shouldn't have any effect on the fuel system (disregarding tuning) made after 88 or 89 (when Federal cars had to be able to accept <E10).
    Chris
    Actually, that's not true at all. The alcohol in E85 will destroy any seals in the fuel system that are made from natural rubber. Also, ethanol is an electrical conductor (gasoline is not), so it will promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (like steel and aluminum) in fuel system components.

Continued use of E85 in a vehicle that has not been designed to use it will cause problems. Unless a car is touted by its manufacturer as "flexfuel" capable, it is not safe to use anything above E15 in the car without converting the fuel system to be compatible with E85
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Actually, that's not true at all. The alcohol in E85 will destroy any seals in the fuel system that are made from natural rubber. Also, ethanol is an electrical conductor (gasoline is not), so it will promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (like steel and aluminum) in fuel system components.

Continued use of E85 in a vehicle that has not been designed to use it will cause problems. Unless a car is touted by its manufacturer as "flexfuel" capable, it is not safe to use anything above E15 in the car without converting the fuel system to be compatible with E85
    Information that I was referring to:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

What about fuel system corrosion?
    Corrosion does not appear to be an issue with modern OBDII cars. They are all certified by the manufactures to be safe to use on 10% ethanol fuel blends, and industry insiders say they are safe for much higher percentages. You don't install components that are "sorta safe" with a chemical, you put in a fuel hose etc. that is ethanol safe for concentrations well above what you expect to use. Not to mention that folks have been talking for years about raising the ethanol level to 20% or more.

Occasional use would be no problem at all based on my experience. I have never cut open the fuel filter (still have the OEM filter in place) I'll open it when I replace it. I want to put enough time on it to have conclusive evidence if there are problems.
    (edit circa 2007 I cut open a fuel line and it looked like new, not changes or damage on stock rubber fuel lines in 2002 WRX)

The engine is not an issue with either, WI using a water alcohol mix or straight alcohol injection. In those systems alcohol and water are not used in significant quantity or for long duration. The Buick GN folks and lots of folks in the DSM crowd have done it for literally decades with no problems for the engine.

Many years ago there were studies that indicated engines that ran on alcohol ALONE as a fuel, had issues with lubrication and valve seat wear. Keep in mind, those studies were done a long time ago, when engine oils were much less sophisticated than they are now, and some engine manufactures in the 1940's,1950' and 1960's made stupid engineering decisions and did not use hard valve seat inserts like stellite in the cylinder heads. This resulted in valve seat recession problems if you did not have lead additives in the fuel to protect the valve seats.
    Lots more good reading in that thread, looks like it's on pg. 51 now.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast