Thread: Data Logger

Default Data Logger

First of all, I apologize in advance if there is another thread on this topic. I did a search, but either came up with nothing, or with 500+ threads (type in "track timing" or "data logger", and I suppose you get every thread with "track" or "data" in it... ). Sorry, but I'm not sifting through 500+ threads. Anyway, here goes:

If I was looking for a simple to use, but reasonably accurate, track day data logger, which one would you recommend? A few things I think I want:
    • Simple to use. I don't want to have to go through extensive setup, run through 4,329 menus and button clicks, or have to have a degree in bio-physics to operate the device.
    • Self-contained. I don't want to have to add antennae, or do extensive "wiring modifications". Just pop it on the dash or stick it to the windshield, and yer off.
    • Reasonably accurate and consistent. I'm thinking a little more accurate than the iPod/iPhone app
    I'm really just using this to help me understand how I'm doing relative to previous laps and to my "peers". If I'm 3 seconds slower than someone in a similar car, I know that I'm messing something up badly somewhere. I'd like to know that and be able to pinpoint my trouble spot so that I can then get someone to show me how to improve.

I borrowed a PerformanceBox (http://www.vboxusa.com/performancedr...ormancebox.php) this weekend for on session, and it was extremely easy to use. Is it accurate? Does it give you what you really want to know? which model should you get (there are several). And more to the point, is there something better out there? I noticed that ken o sold a PerformanceBox recently (http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...performancebox), so that has me wondering if he knows of something better...

So once again -- and mainly for the "track dogs" on this forum -- what Data Logger would you get?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Driver

I use a max q system. They have one that's an all in one unit, but you have to pull the logs onto a computer to see what's going on. I'm pretty sure that Ken's using MaxQ now too.

Typically you have a gps thing on the dash/roof and then a PDA stowed somewhere, connected via bluetooth.

I use a MaxQ GPS for datalogging. You'll need either a PDA or a Windows mobile phone to use as the actual datalogging unit.

If you're just looking for laptimes and have a compatible phone, I recommend downloading a free trial of RaceChrono software. You can add a 5Hz GPS repeater for about $30 and get reliable laptimes. The RaceChrono package is also a lot easier to use than MaxQ.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I had both Performance Box and MaxQ.
    I was using the P-Box at the track and MaxQ for autocross.

Why?
    MaxQ - ability to see runs overlay at the site immediately after a run. Very good for autocross. You can see where you picked up time or lost it.
    Support gets a 2 on a scale if 1 - 5. They are slow to respond and the software is buggy. You will need to mount the device outside the car for the best data. System is a two part design, PDA with application and GPS puck via bluetooth to PDA. Setup is not 100% simple and keeping it working and charged is not easy.
    It does have a feature for the track I like. Time Since Last Here allows you to keep a rolling lap time going. It will change as you decrease or increase your laptop as you drive around the track. Setting it up to do lap times requires you to add a becon.

P-box - Very simple, plug in power, select mode, enter track, hit a button to set start/finish. It will display laptimes only once you cross the S/F. It did not have a running lap time, that would have been nice.
    Desktop application is where this one really shines. It was design for the track. Not very useful for AX. The desktop app allows you to overlay a circuit of the track and your GPS data. It will let you see where you were on the track.

Conclusion - Track only get a Performance Box. Easy to setup, use, and great track software. AX and track MaxQ. The ability to review data on location makes it the winner.

PM and we can talk if you have questions.

I have the Performance Box. Very simple/easy to use. I only use it for Track events so I don't have any Auto X experience. I agree with Ken that I wish it had a running lap time but on the other hand the last thing I need is more distractions when I'm driving.

I would recommend it.