Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a new tire thread?

Default Is it time for a new tire thread?

I hope so.

Looking for some good daily driving tires for the new Miata.

Qualifications:

All-weather (Rain performance a big priority. I hate hydro-planning)
    Cheap!
    Relatively quiet
    Decent tread wear
    Available in 195/50/15 or 205/50/15
    No- surprises handling if I push them on the street.

Not looking for a performance tire but not a tire that is going to break loose easily either.

Recommendations?
    Last edited by black roadster; 10-28-2009 at 03:27 AM.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Im likeing my General Exclaim UHPs (i think thats what they're called) pretty good. ive autoxed on them in the rain one time and i actually got pretty good times for me.

I've never had any hydroplaning problems that i can remember since i bought them and I have been driving in a lot of rain recently.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Isn't there a cheap Kumho that Morris and Merv used to like?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I bought some Falken Ziex ZE-912 195/60R-14's for my DD earlier in the year and have been really happy with them. They also come from Discount Tire with a 65,000 mile warranty. I found my best price online and my local DT did a price match.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    I bought some Falken Ziex ZE-912 195/60R-14's for my DD earlier in the year and have been really happy with them. They also come from Discount Tire with a 65,000 mile warranty. I found my best price online and my local DT did a price match.
    +1 on these or the 512s. Doubt you'll find a bigger bang for the VERY LOW buck.
    '96 M-edition

Oops scratch my previous I'm running General Altimax HP on the Miata as a DD tire. All of my previous comments apply to this tire.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Altimax+HP

As for Kumho I ran a set of of these
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+AST

on my Focus ZX5 for a while and really liked them. They gripped well on the street didn't hydroplane, ect. And to top it off they were pretty cheap overall.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I really liked the 512s when I had them on my Acura. They are not a good tire for track or AX, but they are a great street tire.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    As for Kumho I ran a set of of these
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+AST
    Those are what I'm running on the street. (On the car when I bought it.) No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    I had two very different experiences with this tire. I had a set on the 1990 NA with 15" NB wheels and they were great, no problems on the street. I also bought a set for my son's 1998 Civic sedan (OEM size tires) and he had 2 sidewall blowouts.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I really liked the 512s when I had them on my Acura. They are not a good tire for track or AX, but they are a great street tire.
    If by "not a good tire for track..." you mean not as grippy, as a true high performance tire, then yes. They stick ok for what they are and I found them to be predictable and communicative at Hallett in 2008.

Ran in the middle of the pack in Intermediate 2 at Miatas at Hallett in a stock '91 with 185/60-14 512's on daisies. Typical lap times were around 1:43 or 1:44. Slow for sure, but as fast as a bunch of people with way more power and "more tire"...

If I had any self control about such things, I'd run them on my car. Instead I'm running 205 Kumho XSs.

YMMV
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I had two very different experiences with this tire. I had a set on the 1990 NA with 15" NB wheels and they were great, no problems on the street. I also bought a set for my son's 1998 Civic sedan (OEM size tires) and he had 2 sidewall blowouts.
    Funny how tires hate teenagers, isn't it?

I can say I am not impressed with the Goodyear Eagle GT-HR's and I was not impressed by the Khumo Ecsta ASX tires either. Of the two I think the Khumo's were better and cheaper. Still looking for some better lasting tires that won't hydroplane or loose grip easily.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Blog Entries

The Falken 912s are the replacement for the 512 and is getting great reviews from everybody. Hard to beat at less than $60

http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/St...ShowLarge=True

I have been really happy with the 502s I use on the street. They are a couple generations back.
    Last edited by creek; 10-28-2009 at 10:09 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    The Falken 912s are the replacement for the 512 and is getting great reviews from everybody. Hard to beat at less than $60

http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/St...ShowLarge=True

I have been really happy with the 502s I use on the street. They are a couple generations back.
    Have you used this website? I looked and they are substantially cheaper than everyone on the Ziex 912 tire.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I'm on the second set of 512s on the Miata, halfway through the first set of 912s on the RX-8, ran a set and a half of 512s on the V-dub. I'm pleased with them.

Dave describes what is probably tread squirm from 912s on his s2000, but that, IMHO, is probably a good thing on a street tire since it's the first level of feedback before bad things happen...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Have you used this website? I looked and they are substantially cheaper than everyone on the Ziex 912 tire.
    I ordered a set for my mom's Chrysler 300 and everything went smooth. Remind me not to let her get the hemi next time She drives like it was a sprint car but she still got nearly 60k out of the set I got from Edge Racing. I sure miss those guys.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I ordered a set for my mom's Chrysler 300 and everything went smooth. Remind me not to let her get the hemi next time She drives like it was a sprint car but she still got nearly 60k out of the set I got from Edge Racing. I sure miss those guys.
    Good deal, just wondered with the price so much lower than everyone else if they were legit. I may order some daily driver tires for the s2k.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Good deal, just wondered with the price so much lower than everyone else if they were legit. I may order some daily driver tires for the s2k.
    I bet their shipping cost makes up the difference in price. I did not see any signs of free shipping like you do on sites like discounttiredirect.com.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

They quoted 57 for shipping 4 195/50/15s. That's a little more than I paid at tire rack for 4 215/40/17s.

I believe the shipping rate Nails received makes discounttiredirect.com slightly less expensive. Plus an OKC Discount Tire store treated me pretty good on the blown out Falken tires. I did not buy the warranty, and they sold me a new tire for $27 mounted and balanced.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast