Thread: Wheels

Default Wheels

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Is this a good offset for an NA? I havn't seen any other rims with the combination of price, weight, and width. This 15x7.5 at 13.2 lbs sounds like a pretty good deal to me...

Also, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on going with a very light 15x6.5 (11-12 lbs) versus a 15x7 that is heavier (14.5 lbs and up). My car will be a street toy that sees the track 1-3 times a year.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Also, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on going with a very light 15x6.5 (11-12 lbs) versus a 15x7 that is heavier (14.5 lbs and up). My car will be a street toy that sees the track 1-3 times a year.
    It's hard to argue that 11-12 lb 15x6.5 is "very light" when a 15x7 RPF1 is less than 10 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    It's hard to argue that 11-12 lb 15x6.5 is "very light" when a 15x7 RPF1 is less than 10 lbs.
    RPF1's cost more, but are definitely a better wheel... I put them in a different class...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You can typically buy a set of 15x6 OEM's for ~$200. They weigh 13.1 lbs. each.

If you can find 15x6 BBS's they cost a bit more and weigh 12 lbs. each.

http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

Discount tire direct
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Discount tire direct
    Seems they currently have a good deal. $50-$100 off a set of wheels and free shipping (but I believe you would pay sales tax).
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Good-Win-Racing I think has the best explination:

When shopping for new Miata wheels there are a couple critical issues to consider:

#1 Weight.

The Mazda Miata is incredibly sensitive to what is called unsprung weight (which can best be understood as what hangs off the Miata suspension rather than what sits on it). I was surprised when I bought my first Miata in the early 90s when I ended up not enjoying the very first set of very nice wheels I picked for that Miata because the ride quality became poor. Most Miata owners can feel a deterioration of ride quality from a gain of as little as 2 to 3 pounds per corner in unsprung weight. We therefore strongly recommend that you use only light weight wheels for your Miata like those we sell here. Unlike other vendors who rely on overly optimistic wheel weights as listed by the wheel manufacturers, we weigh each wheel that we sell to verify the lightness. For that reason, many of our listed weights here are slightly higher than the marketing weight listed on the wheel manufacturers' websites.
    Link -
    http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...els-Tires.html

I did not exactly go the cost effective route, but I did go to some very light 15x7 wheels, and I do love them. ~10lbs each, for a mounted and balanced weight of ~31lbs per corner. Big difference from the stock wheels/tires, which were ~39lbs per corner.

In other words, go as light as you can afford. If the RPF1's fit over my brakes, I would be running those in a heartbeat (I payed WAY more for my wheels).

The TRMotorsport C1 in 15x7.5 is exact the wheel I would buy if I need a set of wheels right now.

the width, weight and price are hard to beat. just my 0.02
    Last edited by apex2apex; 11-16-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: oops, dumb me
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

6UL > *

That new TR wheel looks good especially for the price though. Why not get the widest wheel you can?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

^my thoughts exactly.

Go wide or go home.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

The only crappy thing about the 6UL is with the discontinuation of the RS-2 there are now no decent street tires in 225/45/15. Lots of race rubber but no DD tires. The RS-3 has a tread wear of something like 160.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Yes, shame about the RS2.
    If need be, we can find tires in the 195 and 205 range that run a bit wider than average. There's also the 215-45 T1R that would work well as a street tire. Different feel from the RS2, though.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

It is a shame they don't make a 225 EcstaXS.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Is the 42mm offset ok for the 17x7.5" rim? They also sell a similar design in 15x7 at 30mm offset...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

I think that 17" rims are a bit too big. Especially when you have Dallas roads to drive on. It is real easy to hit a pot hole and bend the rims with a 40% profile.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I've got a set of used wheels for sale. They were slated for a street car, but I sold off all the street stuff to fund the race car.

$600

15" OZ Superleggeras, 15x7" +37 4x100 11.5lb each

They're in great shape. Include center caps. And fit over most big brakes including Miata sport brakes (unlike RPF1s).

They're in storage, so I need a day's notice to dig them out.

Just wish I had $$ right now :) but I just bought a roll bar.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green